Rear speed sensor change

A noddy

Reaction score
Hi I'm having a problem with my rear wheel sensor on my 2006 Audi A3 TDI. The esp and abs light was coming on I scanned the car with vcds and threw rear right sensor code.
I changed the sensor lights went off ....only to come on at 50 mph ......! Same result on vcds intermittent fault on rear speed sensor.

Could a bearing cause this error?

Could this be the symptoms of the dreaded abs unit failing?

What codes does the abs module throw up on vcds?

Thanks

Cant recall if rear has the sensor plummed into the bearing housing to pickup revolutions, but if sensor is new, then for me I'd look at any debri in those areas got into where shouldnt, loom/connector or the abs ring/bearing housing, ideally need the proper log to see what the actual error is.

Audi A3 1.9 tdi 8p

The original code was

00287-ABS Wheel speed Sensor-rear right (G44)
003-Mechanical Failure-Intermittent

00287-ABS Wheel speed Sensor-rear right (G44)
008-Implausable Signal-intermittent

I erased the code after fitting the new sensor and will check later to see if it is showing the same code.

"My recently purchased vagcom vcds cable is awesome didnt realise how many things were wrong with my A4 cab....Jobs for the summer... lol.:salute:

Show the abs module complete log, not just the lines above please.

I had a similar problem middle of last year. Turned out that the toothed rotors that generate the signal were also damaged. May be worth a check.

I would say its the ABS ring on the bearing, ive had a simalar problem in the past.

Thanks guys ! Im hoping its just the speedring thing and not the module.

This is the codes i got after the re-scan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AA HW: 1K0 907 379 AA
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0102
Revision: 00H13001
Coding: 0021121
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 71ED8A85688FD090DE2

1 Fault Found:
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers

Yeah I seem to recall the abs ring is part of the bearing unit these days?

Thanks for that ....i've ordered the 18mm spline bit so probably change over the bearing at the weekend weather permitting.

I think you need a M14 spline aswell for the caliper carrier, when i did mine on a golf it took about 40 mins a side

Well I messed up in that case. I got the whole bearing unit changed when I had the problem. Didn't know you could change the toothed rotor separately. Let us know how you get on.

Also what I was told was that if the rotor is damaged there is the possibility of re damaging the new sensors add they can be hit by parts of the rotor or debris. Either that or I want listening properly or the garage was feeding me rubbish.

New bearing /hub fitted ...no lights so far .The old part was badly corroded at the back so hopefully that was the problem. Just undid the m18 spline in the center and the whole unit came off no problem no need for a m14 spline for this vehicle ....unfortunately bought one before starting the job. Not to worry ....thanks everyone for your help !!!
if taking this job on make sure you get the same bearing diameter mine was 30mm but it also comes in 33mm diameter as I got the wrong one first time.

Reactions: martinivw
Good, glad it seems to have rectified issue.

I have added some pics of the change hopefully be useful. IMG 20130202 080923IMG 20130201 113556IMG 20130201 140725cheers

Reactions: martinivw