Dead Battery S-Tronic stuck in Park

chrisb72

Reaction score
My battery is completely dead and my car (A3 2.0T S-Tronic) is stuck in PARK so I am unable to push it out of my garage to jump start.

I don't own a battery boost charger, I only have a trickle charger. My idea is to leave it for a good few hours to charge with the trickle charger in the hope that I can engage the ignition and get it out of PARK.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Sadly I don't have home start relay.

Also my battery is only 10 months old and I am a bit surprised it has lost so much power. I know it has been very cold and the car hasn't been used for a long run since Xmas, but I used the car for a short run 2 weeks ago. I did at the time feel the car hadn't jumped into life, but by the time I had used it for a few miles it seemed ok. My concern is that something is causing it to drain, but I can't think what?

Any help and opinions very welcome.

Cheers
Chris

The manual gives you a way around this. I think there's 2 model variations on the s-tronic but you basically lift/pry up the gearshift surround and there is a small clip that you push to allow you to select neutral and then push the car out. I've not got the manual to hand or I'd give you more details, sorry.

You may need to 'rock' the car to release pressure on transmission 'pin' as the lever is moved to N.

I wouldn't bump start it, that's even if the gearbox will allow you to so so. Just leave it on charge until there's enough to fire it up. Takes longer but your power train will thank you for it.

I managed to manually switch the gearbox into N with the help of the manual.

I did attemp to push the car our of my garage but my drive was too steep for two grown men (maybe we need more Weetabix) so it's now on a standard battery charger borrowed from a friend to hopefully charge over night.

I think I may need to get the battery checked as I feel that it should have held its charger for longer.

Grab yourself a Ctek MXS 10, it is brilliant & also has a 12v supply mode which would allow the electrics to run whilst batteries dead as such, done numerous times & I use it for any radio/12v work aswell so has numerous uses, so worth the money, charges brilliantly.

Grab yourself a Ctek MXS 10, it is brilliant & also has a 12v supply mode which would allow the electrics to run whilst batteries dead as such, done numerous times & I use it for any radio/12v work aswell so has numerous uses, so worth the money, charges brilliantly.

Agreed, best £90 I spent. They work a treat and really do the business.