Single DIN to double DIN conversion

moogie

Reaction score
As I just completed modifying my dash from the single DIN configuration to double DIN, I thought I'd document here some of the details required for the modification.

A couple words of warning to begin with. If you are paranoid on minor scratches on your interior, please don't do this. Most likely you will end up with one or few. Likewise, if you are afraid of applying force when pulling parts out, please don't do this. Some of the parts (the aircon unit for example) are fitted quite tightly, and need a certain amount of force to remove.

If you are still ready to go forward, here are the parts you will need:

NOTE: All partnumbers are for a left-hand driven vehicle. They should be the same for RHD, but until someone actually confirms this, please don't blame me if these don't work for you.

8P0 858 005 A (double DIN mounting cage)
8P0 863 321 A (frame for buttons)
8P0 927 134 C (esp button - center)
8P0 941 515 C (blind button - left)
8P0 941 516 C (blind button - right)
8P0 941 509 A (hazard button)
8P0 941 561 E (storage on console - "coin holder")
8P0 864 348 (bracket from trim)
8P0 864 147 A (covering)

If you have a switch for the passenger airbag in your glovebox, replace the "blind button - right" with this:
8P0 919 234 A (button with airbag warning light - right)

Note that with the double DIN configuration you have much less storage space below the aircon unit than with single DIN. If you keep the ashtray, there is hardly any storage space left at all. If you don't need the ashtray, you can replace it with a tray which provides some more storage space. The partnumber for the tray should be 8P0 864 138 A (unconfirmed).

Also, if you have the interior light package with the nice red light on the storage space, you will loose this after the modification. I atleast didn't find a way to keep the light - it gets blocked by the new coverings.

And then the aircon control unit. I decided against purchasing a new which would have fit directly given the prices for these units. Instead, I modified the old unit by slowly cutting some 2-3mm from both sides and checking to see if it fit at regular intervals. If you do it carefully, once ready it will be very hard to see that it has been modified. I don't know the partnumber for the double DIN aircon unit - if anyone does, please post here.

All in all it took me some 5-6 hours to complete the modification. So reserve plenty of time and take it slowly. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks for the tips.Still some questions...

a) Do I have to buy all these partnumbers? after all buttons are the same! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif or not?

b) Did you take any pictures (of the conversion)?

c)Can you tell me where these last two partnumbers are fitted?

d) what about reprogramming of the ECU? DIY or not, Vag codes?

Unfortunately I don't know partnumber for the double DIN aircon unit either.

[ QUOTE ]
a) Do I have to buy all these partnumbers? after all buttons are the same! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you need to replace the buttons too. They look the same externally, but the old ones won't fit with the new panel. Don't worry, they are not that expensive.

[ QUOTE ]
b) Did you take any pictures (of the conversion)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a few. Here are a couple shots just after I had replace the cage (sorry for the poor quality):
http://moogie.idle.fi/audi/navi/under-work-1.jpg
http://moogie.idle.fi/audi/navi/under-work-2.jpg

Note that even though the ashtray is not removed in these pics you do need to remove it to get to all of the bolts holding the cage.

[ QUOTE ]
c)Can you tell me where these last two partnumbers are fitted?

[/ QUOTE ]

They go under the aircon unit to complete what's left of the storage space.

[ QUOTE ]
d) what about reprogramming of the ECU? DIY or not, Vag codes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely everything will work straight away without any programming - atleast mine did. Disconnecting the HU and the aircon unit will generate a lot of fault codes which you might want to clear out after the installation.

Note for those who have the airbag switch in your glovebox: After removing the glovebox (you need to do this to get to one of the bolts) you will have the airbag warning light lit on your cluster. It will not go away even after reconnecting the glovebox. You need to have vag-com to clear the airbag controller fault codes, or take it to your dealer. Nothing to worry though, the airbag warning is very sensitive and will display even after the fault has gone away.

Thanks for everything. I'll ask my local dealer for all these parts needed (price-delivery time) and buy the RNS from E-Bay. Do you know if there is something else that I should be worried about?

Great guide!! Thanks.

Du you have any pictures of mounting the antenna?