ABS & Steering Angle Sensor Issues!

bug

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

Really hoping you can shed some light on my problem as I'm pretty stumped at the moment!

The other evening my A3 wouldn't start, can only presume the diesel had frozen as it was a very cold evening.

Anyway got a lift home from work and the next morning charged up the battery and she started up no worries... Great! But the evening before trying to start it I pretty much flattened the battery.

The traction control light is now on. I got our diagnostics system on it and it came up with the fault codes about the steering angle sensor having no plausible signal and also ABS control module no signal/ no communication.

I had a new windscreen fitted earlier on the same day but is there anything under the skuttle that would effect the ABS? Can only presume at the moment that I've got water in a sensor or in the steering rack gator.

Hope that makes sense and someone can help! :)

ECU is under the plenum chamber cover, also wiper motor, so maybe they have done something they shouldnt, but as Mike states yes check with vcds.

Have you driven the vehicle since the fault lights came on ?

Whenever the battery is disconnected then those two lights come on. Drive for a few hundred yards and they go off again !

Could just be as simple as that !

Thanks for the ideas chaps! I don't have access to VCDS but we have a solus pro diagnostics system at work and it brought up the following faults:

- 3803 Steering angle sensor for steering aid no or wrong adaption
- 00778 Steering angle sensor (G85) Not a plausible signal
- 01316 ABS control module no signal/ no communication

I can clear the codes but codes 00778 and 01316 come back straight away. Apparently because there is no signal from the ABS the steering angle sensor cannot be reconfigured.

The traction control light isn't on or off all the time, it flickers like crazy when the car starts up but under way the light stays on.

Real headache, the chaps at the garage are scratching their heads as are another garage up the road. The only suggestions so far are the steering rack gator has water in it and is causing it to play up, and secondly one of the ABS sensors has frozen up?

I have driven the car about 100 miles since and it hasn't cleared.

Interesting point you make about the ECU NHN, do you think he could of knocked it or got water in it which has caused it to go funny?

Anyone local to Ipswich, Suffolk with access to a VCDS?

DannyKn9 - Cheers mate thats a great help the ross tech wiki site!! Just need to find someone near by to me now for the VCDS

Have you checked fuses aswell?

Hi NHN, I've been through all the fuses yep! Thought I was onto something when in the manual it said no.9 fuse was to do with ABS but looking at the sticker on the back of the panel said it was to do with the Quattro system which mine hasn't got.. Which is explained why it hadn't got one.

I rang Ipswich Audi the other day to ask about diagnostics and they said its £75 + vat! So I'll be finding someone else locally. But speaking to them they basically said its a common fault for the ECU on the ABS pump to fail without reason. A repair kit is £169 or so but won't necessarily include what I might need. A complete pump is £700 or so which is depressing!

It's strange however because when the ignition is turned on the light flicks on, then off, on, off, on, off etc probably ten or so times! Very erratically. A week ago when the weather was colder the light would come on permanently when I drive off but this week with the weather being more mild the light is still flicking on and off when I'm on the move for a ten or so seconds.

Sounds like I've got an electrical gremlin!

Any suggestions chaps?