Navigation Plus! How does it fit in the dash?

stratos

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new(ish) member who is still wallowing the lands of a Passat 20v Sport. I am wanting an S-Line 2.0TDI Quattro Sportback and as I am paying for it out of my hard earned (not a company or assisted buy) I want to get it just right. I am thinking of the Navigation plus system but not willing to pay the premium so was wondering if i bought a second hand one would it fit in the dash? Would I be able to order the symphony stereo and swop it out? They look the same size on the pics!! Can anyone help?

Order the Symphony and then you can fit it yourself for around £750, or get Craigyb to do it all for you including programming your car for £1000.

He is based in Manchester as well so not too far for you.

Cheers..

Does that price include the Unit?

What programming does it need???
I assume that its not just "plug and play" then.

Yeah that includes....

RNS-E dvd nav unit
Disc
wiring loom adapter
aerial adapter
gps antenna

fitting the unit and then programming it.

You will be able to use it without running the vag com over your car, but you need to tell it to talk to the instrument cluster so you can get nav arrows on the display, plus if you go for the bluetooth phone kit you will be able to get caller id and control of your phone via the DVD screen too.

Superb unit, I had one in my A3, Cabriolet and just got another for the A6 avant, with the MP3 on sd cards it really is an impressive unit.

Thanks again.
A4s only? I assume Craigyb has diversified if you have had yours done by him.
Does he have a supply of the units then...Do you know if they are new ones or second hand?

I was looking at eBay for the unit as they pop up on there occasionally?

PS Whats a vag com????

I have changed my sig now the A3 has gone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Craig will supply the unit, either new or used, but they will all be mint.

Vag-com is the software to update your audi, change settings and tell your car what devices are fitted etc.

my gallery with pics of the rns-e after swapping out the symphony.
http://www.audi-sport.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3578

[ QUOTE ]
craigyb only does A4s

[/ QUOTE ]

He did my 8L A3 which never had the RNS-e as an option originally.Also he had some 8P compatable units too. Cant recommend him highly enough.

Included the unit itself, programming to match the car with VAG.com, DVD navi disc, genuine Audi manual, toast (as my install took a long time...), back up afterwards and a 1 yr warranty....

Works through the unit itself and through the DiS.

Highly recommended. Genuine honest guy.

[ QUOTE ]
hmmm, i pm'd him a while ago and he said he couldn't do my A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's because you have the Concert II and need to convert first to double DIN? I did the conversion myself recently and I have all the partnumbers and some tips if anyone is interested.

I got my unit from Craig as well, and have to say I couldn't have been more satisfied. Good stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hmmm, i pm'd him a while ago and he said he couldn't do my A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's because you have the Concert II and need to convert first to double DIN? I did the conversion myself recently and I have all the partnumbers and some tips if anyone is interested.

I got my unit from Craig as well, and have to say I couldn't have been more satisfied. Good stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree, it is because you have the concert not because it is an 8P.

Search ebay.de for " audi dople din" as this should turn up some double din cages and they usually come with the climate controls too.

I wonder where all these DVD nav units are coming from that appear on ebay. So many seem to be offered on there by people based in Poland. Hmm.

Moogie, thanks for the offer. I think that would be really useful. I'd like to get mine done at some point.

Moogie, I'd be very happy if you send all necessary info. I also have Concert 2 (with Bose) and I want to install RNS+. I want to do it myself. I am planning to buy everything from E-bay. Thank in advance.

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder where all these DVD nav units are coming from that appear on ebay. So many seem to be offered on there by people based in Poland. Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that they are appearing because the A3s are built in Polland, probably all coming of the back of an Audi lorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are they? The A3 is built in Ingolstadt (although, until recently I thought it was Neckarsulm, but the A6 and A8 are built there (as was the A2)).

Volkswagen have factories in Poland (in Poznan), but I doubt Audi do. Perhaps the NAV units are made there.

I'm always astonished how some people can get hold of such new, rare and expensive equipment for peanuts in the volumes that they do. Either factories have them flying out the back doors, or the retailers are seriously ripping us off: £2,500 for the Audi A3 unit certainly sounds more like the latter, but I'm sure there is a healthy amount of the former going on.

The units are only £1520 new from Audi, well that is what I paid when I got one for the A3 last year. May even be cheaper now?

£2,175 as an option on a new car, and a further £705 if you want TV and teletext.

i added one to my car i found thou you can not work the back speakers! because on the conections. any one else had this problem? have you got them to work yet and how?

This depends a lot on what kind of speaker setup you have on your car. Bose, non-bose or possibly something else.

The short answer is that the RNS-E has an internal amp only for the front speakers. The rear speakers must use a seperate amp, and they must be connected to the line-out on the RNS-E.

If this doesn't help, try www.navplus.us - it's a great resource on RNS-E related issues.

You have to make sure that you have got the following connections......

RNS-E Block C

Pin 5 = RL
Pin 8 = Ground
Pin 11 = RR

And then these have to go to the two farthest pins on the bottom block of the symphony head unit, the big one with the most pins.

Does any one know the Audi Part Numbers for all the parts needed to upgrade from the Symphony?

Thank you

[ QUOTE ]
Does any one know the Audi Part Numbers for all the parts needed to upgrade from the Symphony?

[/ QUOTE ]

8P0 035 192 - The RNS-E navigation unit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Upgrading from a Symphony II is as simple as it gets. Remove symphony, insert wiring harness adaptor, find a place for the GPS antenna, insert RNS-E - and you are done.

[ QUOTE ]
Volkswagen have factories in Poland (in Poznan), but I doubt Audi do. Perhaps the NAV units are made there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find the Nav units are made by Blaupunkt

Which brings me on to my next question.
Has anyone seen this working?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you'll find the Nav units are made by Blaupunkt

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for the older CD-based nav unit. The newer RNS-E however is not by Blaupunkt, but by Aiwan AW - atleast that's what's printed on the labels on these units.

moogie, just looked at your website man, your pictures are sweet! good lad!

Hi,
Ive pm'd Craigyb and he will supply and fit the rns-e unit into a symphony kitted A3 sportback along with antenna etc. He will then re-program the car to enable full use of DIS and Bluetooth etc . All for £1000!!. Think i will go for that rather than Audi rip off price.

gizze - thanks for the heads up

No problem, Craig has been doing this for ages now and he is the only person I would recommend. He also stands by the units he sells.
By the time you buy a unit off ebay and all the needed bits you are looking at over £800 unless you get really lucky, and then you have to do it yourself and take the car in to Audi to have it reprogrammed, so for a grand it is a superb deal to know it has all been done properly and you know you have a genuine guy who will sort you out if anything happens/needs doing in the future.

Plus you can sell the Symphony for £100+ when you are done with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Or if you look at the pic there is a pocket just above the top of the cluster, you can actually push the antenna into it, it will hold it in place nicely.

gps-location.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
erm....I thought it needed line of sight? I guess not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - not needed. The antenna will work as long as there isn't anything metallic between it and the sky. The dash is obviously a plastic of some kind, and the gps signal passes through it easily.

Great thread, very informative!

Sure this Ipod connection won't tie into the RNS-E? [image]http://www.blaupunkt.co.uk/7607540500_main.asp[/image]

Cheers!

[ QUOTE ]
Sure this Ipod connection won't tie into the RNS-E? [image]http://www.blaupunkt.co.uk/7607540500_main.asp[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, but I find it quite unlikely since the RNS-E isn't manufactured by Blaupunkt. One option is the Dension Icelink, which does work with the RNS-E.

Will the same Icelink, as used on my Concert II, fit the RNS-E?

[ QUOTE ]
Will the same Icelink, as used on my Concert II, fit the RNS-E?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it doesn't - there appears to be a separate Icelink which works only with the RNS-E. Not sure though, I don't have one of my own.

[ QUOTE ]
If this doesn't help, try www.navplus.us - it's a great resource on RNS-E related issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is indeed - this website has one of the best, most detailed and useful forums I have ever found on the web. A great read even if you aren't interested in sat nav!