Wanna know what effects your service interval?

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
God I love this ELSAwin thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Technical solution
Problem description
The Longlife Service does not achieve the service mileage expected by the customer.

Cause
Longlife Service was introduced at Audi in model year 2000.

Fuel consumption, engine oil temperature and engine speed are used for calculation of the service interval.

The Longlife Service configuration for the relevant engine version, is performed via adjustment channels 40 to 49 on the dash panel insert. Not only the general time and mileage limits, but also the individual values determined during the relevant service cycle are stored here.
The following applies:

Adjustment channel Contents Resolution Explanation
40 Mileage since service 100 km
41 Time since service Days
42 Minimum mileage limit 1000 km Always 15000 km
43 Maximum mileage limit 1000 km
44 Max. time interval Days Always 730 days
45 Oil grade 1-5
46 Total consumption Litres Petrol only
47 Soot content in oil Diesel only
48 Thermal resistance of oil Diesel only
49*) Minimum time interval Days Petrol: 365 days / Diesel: 730 days

*) only for 4E and newer models

Note: For Audi A8 (4E) and all newer models, the mileage limits are given in multiples of 100 km. The values in channels 40, 41, 46, 47 and 48 are deleted at the beginning of the service interval and increase continuously during a service interval. All other values (42, 43, 44, 45, 49) are fixed values.

Vehicles with Longlife Service achieve the maximum possible service period / service mileage in only very few cases. Rather, Longlife Service means a mileage between 15000 km and the maximum possible mileage limit (30000 km for petrol, 35000 km for V6 TDI, 50000 km for 4-cyl. TDI engines) and/or a period of between 365 days and the maximum possible time interval. Anything is possible within these limits, depending upon the way the customer treats the vehicle.

For example, with infrequent drivers in the maximum possible time period of 730 days, even the minimum mileage limit of 15000 km is often not reached; a service is however still due on grounds of the time limit alone.

Production solution
No change

Service solution
The value for the oil grade (adjustment channel 45) must first be checked.

Oil grade (channel 45) Significance Service limits
1 Fixed maintenance interval 15000 km / 365 days
2 LongLife Service, petrol engines 30000 km / 730 days
3 Longlife Service V6 TDI 35000 km / 730 days
4 LongLife Service, 4 cyl. TDI 50000 km / 730 days
5 Fixed maintenance interval 8000 km / 365 days

When selecting the value for the oil grade, the service limits are entered in the relevant fixed value channels.

Generally, there is no Longlife Service for the V8 Biturbo in the Audi RS6 and for the V8 3.3l TDI. For these versions, the oil grade must always be set to 1.

If a service is due, the value '00001' appears in adjustment channel 2. After the service has been performed, adjustment channel 2 must be erased ( = entry of adjustment value '00000'). During this procedure, the fixed value channels remain unchanged but all variable values are erased. A new service cycle then begins. Within the first 500 kilometres following resetting, a service mileage of 15000 km (for Audi A4 (8E) and all succeeding models: ' - - -') is displayed. Thereafter, the calculated service interval is displayed and is updated after each further 500 kilometres.

For petrol engines, a calculated value for the fuel consumption per cylinder since the last service is stored in channel 46. This value is always higher than the actual consumption as cold starts or high engine speed phases, for example, are counted several times. However, an approximate consumption value can be calculated from the values in channel 46 and channel 40.

Example: Channel 40: 143 (corresponds to 14300 km), channel 46: 500 (corresponds to 2000l for 4 cylinders) gives an approximate consumption of 14 l/100km. The following applies as a guideline: If this value is significantly higher than a realistic consumption, a noticeably shorter service interval can be assumed.

For TDI engines, calculated values for the soot content in the engine oil and the thermal loading of the oil are summed in channels 47 and 48. The effects of these values on the service mileage are however not directly foreseeable.

The variable values must not be changed in order to achieve a longer service interval. The effects of this type of manipulation on the complicated internal calculations are unpredictable. An incorrect calculation is always enforced, whereby engine damage due to impermissibly long maintenance intervals cannot be ruled out.

If a dash panel insert is replaced without using the guided fault-finding, all variable values must be read out and printed out before removal of the old component. Following installation of the new component, the correct oil grade must first be set. Then the Longlife Service must be reset via adjustment channel 2. Finally, the previously read-out variable values must be entered in the relevant adjustment channels. This ensures that the internal calculations of the Longlife Service continue seamlessly.

If all adjustment channels are set correctly or plausible, it can be assumed that the displayed service interval is realistic. In individual cases, it must then be assessed whether the Longlife Service is better than a fixed service interval for a particular customer. Especially for infrequent drivers, the configuration of fixed service interval without the use of Longlife oil can be advantageous.

[ QUOTE ]
So in English this means..... ?

[/ QUOTE ]

What we all know, but it is interesting how the computer stores the info.

I know with BMW the computer works it out something like this........

For every mile you do before the engine oil has reached correct temp it knocks 4 miles off your service.
For every mile you do whilst above 3,000 rpm (diesel) it knocks 2 miles off your service.
For every 10 mins you sit in traffic it knocks a mile off the service.
For every mile you do cruising below 3,000 rpm is only knocks 1/2 mile off the service.

So it takes a car around 3 miles to get warmed up, if you have to do 3 miles to work and 3 miles back again that 6 miles will knock 24 miles off the service indicator.
You can see why you have to choose carfully whether to go with variable servicing if you don't do lots of miles.

[ QUOTE ]

You can see why you have to choose carfully whether to go with variable servicing if you don't do lots of miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are you saying?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily true. Our Sportback 2.0TDI SE has DIS and as most of you know, if you pull out the trip odometer reset stalk, it tells you how many miles or days remaining until the next service.

We'll have had our Sportback for one year at the end of this month and have only driven a little over 8k, thanks to both myself and my fiancée living and working in the same town. Both sets of parents live between 80 and 90 miles away, so the car gets a nice run now and then.

However, when I check the service time left, even with nearly a year under its belt, there's still well over another YEAR remaining. I wouldn't have expected this for such low mileage over nearly 12 months - even the salesman indicated we'd probably be in for a service soon - but I do drive the car carefully 90% of the time.

The DIS service indicator is based on miles and time. The maximum TIME between services is set at 2 years. In the service book it says "The Longlife Service is an Inspection Service with flexible intervals as shown by the service interval dispaly (but always inside a period of 2 years)."

If you do a lot of miles, the service will come up based on MILES, but if your do less than around 18,000 miles in two years it will be based on the two year TIME limit.

Looks like my first service will be in June 2006 then. Got my 2.0TDI in June '04 and I've only done 3500miles since then for the same reasons as benw. Why did I get a diesel then?? For the same reasons as Dave! Closest drive to the old 1.8T. 3.2 was out of my league and the 2.0TFSI wasn't available then.

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like my first service will be in June 2006 then. Got my 2.0TDI in June '04 and I've only done 3500miles since then for the same reasons as benw. Why did I get a diesel then?? For the same reasons as Dave! Closest drive to the old 1.8T. 3.2 was out of my league and the 2.0TFSI wasn't available then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dispite my short trips, DIS reports 45mpg for all-time economy which is excellent given the conditions. Owning a diesel doesn't just mean you do loads of drinking!