If anyone lives or works in Nottingham...

wilko

Top Gear
Reaction score
ASDA in Westbirdgeford (Nottingham) are doing a great deal on Fuel:

89.9 - Unleaded
92.9 - Diesel

Sorry I no it should probably go in a general forum but I couldn't choose an appropriate one!
Just bin and filled up my new 57mpg should now last me months and months..... at this price if it doesn't who gives a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif !!

Cheers Wilko - I'll bear that in mind

I used supermarket fuel for more than one tank in a row once... my Engine Management light blinked on twice the day after, and Audi said I had 2 miss-fires due to bad quality fuel!!! For the sake of a few £/p I'd make sure you know what you're doing to your engine first.

It was the first thing the stealer asked me when I complained me mota was smoking to much.

Poorer quality fuel, and they don't have the engine cleansing properties of 'branded' fuels.

That said, I tried BP Ultimate diesel for a few tanks when i was feeling flush. Didn't notice the diffrence over normal branded fuels.

There are only a couple of refineries in the Uk and supermarket fuel comes from them the same as any other forecourt. There are only about 4 petrochemical companies left - all the different brands are owned by these companies.

Supermarket stuff could be esso or bp or whatever - it is not lower grade or lower quality than any other fuel type - this is just a myth.

I have owned a lot of stupid cars and none of them have run any worse on supermarket fuel. The only fuel that really does help to clean out your engine is shell optimax and I use a tank every now and again

Don't waste your money guys

BTW if you have had a bad batch of fuel this is likely to have been caused by the way it has been kept rather than the fuel itself - can happen anywhere

Actually theres six refineries, and if you look up fractionating columns on tinterwebnet you'll see just how easy it is to make different quality fuels.

Also, as I said above, the majority of 'branded' fuels have additives that give your engine some love.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually theres six refineries, and if you look up fractionating columns on tinterwebnet you'll see just how easy it is to make different quality fuels.

Also, as I said above, the majority of 'branded' fuels have additives that give your engine some love.

[/ QUOTE ]

Branded fuels may have more additives - tis true.

When I was running a scooby - it was very sensitive to fuel quality and the best was esso super at the time. I found that the supermarket stuff was not quite as good but some of the other branded stuff was far worse.

I assume diesel is the same. I just think that there is a lot of marketing crap that surrounds fuel types and I used to get sucked right in.

Never tried performance diesel though - would be interesting to see whether it actually made any appreciable difference - I suspect not

to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference, Unlike running Optimax which has a higher ron, I don't think the Ultimate diesel has a higher Cetane rating, but i'm not sure.

but does anyone experience enough extra MPG using the high RON stuff, that almost cancels outs the extra cost involved? I've never bothered to wørk out the actual difference in mileage from a tank using either cross-referenced with the MPG for both.