Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mmalh0151
  • 1 Post By mike foster

Thread: 2006 Audi A3 8P Rear Washer Jet Not Working

Neutral

Status

2006 Audi A3 8P Rear Washer Jet Not Working

Hi, I have spent the past 30-40 mins researching on the forum why the rear washer is not working on my 2006 A3 8P model. The rear wiper works perfectly but when I push the stalk forward the rear washer does not spray. I tried this once since buying the car and not again after reading the issues about water getting to the Bose amp/rear wiper motor and boot motor. Maybe a stupid question but just to make sure that when im spraying the front screen no water is trying to get to the rear and damaging components? Im yet to see if its as simple to clear the nozzles for the rear wiper. Please could you advise what other things I need to look out for when repairing this fault? Im hoping I dont need a new rear wiper motor. My brothers 2005 model has the same issue so would like to fix both ASAP. Many thanks, Stevie.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    My rear jet stopped working too. I read on here that dropping it in some cleaning stuff (cant remember which) clears it, which didnt work for me. With the jet off though water shot out the back just fine and i have no water in the boot etc, so i guess i need a new jet.

1st Gear

Status
    I needed a new motor - just one more piece of crap design. I dunno if it's cost savings or for appearance but VAG aren't able to make their design durable enough to last long. Since replacing the motor, I don't use the rear wash as I know that if I do the crappy parts will start to leak again.

Enthusiast

Status
    Try and clean the nozzles with a thin needle or by blowing some compressed air into them.
    VCDS USER

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah remove top black plastic jet piece, see if water comes out fine them, if so then its the jet part that needs either cleaning out as advised above with a needle or replacing, cheap from audi, if water doesnt come out, then you must have a more indepth issue, if you need someone to sort it out, give me a shout.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys will give this a look at the weekend, has given me a step ahead for investigating.

1st Gear

Status

Mine just needed a new jet!
    2010 TT RS - Sepang Blue - MRC 420BHP, 600NM

2010 Stage 2+ S-Tronic S3 BE SB in Ibis White!! ....... SOLD

2nd Gear

Status

Mines buggered too, both the wiper and the jet.

My wiper is now stuck in an upright position and won't budge

Damn car.

Neutral

Status
    Hi only had a brief look at this today, it felt like the black cap had never been removed before! How do I remove the black nozzle for cleaning? And once removed I would like to see if the rear washer does spray out. I did not want to break anything so have not attempted it. (Ignore the dirt!)

1st Gear

Status
    Just pull it mate!I soaked mine in a fairy liquid then vinegar for a few days!

You will see a hole under that black nozzle thing.......water should come out of it

2nd Gear

Status

I had the same problem with my rear jet washer and all I did cleaned it out myself, one of the members kindly helped me with that which saved me around 120...

So just clean it out and should be fine..,

2nd Gear

Status
    Mine is the same barely dribbles out will pull it out and have a look

1st Gear

Status

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers for that mate i did try unblocking mine with a pin last week and made no diference so just ordered one cheap enough anyway

Quote Originally Posted by mmalh0151:1784215

1st Gear

Status
    No problem. Probably a little cheaper from your local Audi garage but £6.49 is cheap enough. I would suggest using distilled water if you are in a high limescale area as this may reduce the blockages (like an iron furring!)

2nd Gear

Status
    I think the water up here in cumbria is as soft as it gets mate but the car came from down south somewhere so i guess it is badly scaled up eh cheers again

Quote Originally Posted by mmalh0151:1784232
    No problem. Probably a little cheaper from your local Audi garage but £6.49 is cheap enough. I would suggest using distilled water if you are in a high limescale area as this may reduce the blockages (like an iron furring!)

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Stev_A3 View Post
    Hi only had a brief look at this today, it felt like the black cap had never been removed before! How do I remove the black nozzle for cleaning? And once removed I would like to see if the rear washer does spray out. I did not want to break anything so have not attempted it. (Ignore the dirt!)
    I've got blocked nozzles too and I have the same dual-jet setup. I had a go at removing the covering plastic cap but it seemed extremely reluctant to unclip and so I left it alone, fearing that I would break the plastic. Is it just a matter of pinch-wriggle-pull? Or are there strategic clipping points that need coaxing off?

Otherwise I could just give a gentle poke with a needle but I don't want to push any scale or debris further into the jets.

1st Gear

Status
    Put your palm on the face of the plastic and put fingers underneath then pulllllll.

it wont break.
    Stev_A3 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mmalh0151 View Post
    Put your palm on the face of the plastic and put fingers underneath then pulllllll.

it wont break.
    ...and it worked! Thanks for the reassurance! With a steady, persistent pull it popped off. The dual jets came off easily, so I cleaned them out and blew air duster through them. Tested the washer without the nozzle jets fitted to ensure the tubes where free and ended up squirting a healthy jet over the garage door! Reassembled, tested - all ok.

Cheers!

1st Gear

Status
    Like my post like my post! Haha

nah good that you have it sorted

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for all your help! The black nozzle pulled easily enough with a few tugs! I cleaned the nozzles as best I can and it only seems to squirt from one side (pretty powerful) but will order a new jet asap! Glad its not my motor gone also. Once the nozzle is out you should have nice flow:

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mmalh0151 View Post
    Like my post like my post! Haha

nah good that you have it sorted
    The "thank" button duly pressed Sorry, should have done that earlier but I was rushing out the door with the family for a Sunday lunch curry. It's a great time to go for a curry, because there's usually nobody else there and the kids can make some noise without disturbing anyone (although I should add that we've been friendly with that place for nigh on 15 years now).

1st Gear

Status
    Gives you time to recover before work the next day as well..if you know what I mean......

Neutral

Status
    The new jet came today from ebay seller cheshireoaksaudi for £6.49 delivered! Main stealer wanted £6.99 and its not very close to me. Because the jet was new it took some time to fit it but it quickly slotted on after heating the plastic to make it a little more flexible to fit on the spindle. The Audi dealer did say this was a very common fault and stated owners will keep trying the rear jet even if it does not work, causing the motor to work harder and fail, pipe splits and water goes on the boot mech so can become a very expensive repair if not fixed sooner rather than later.

Fossie

Status
    The new jet came today from ebay seller cheshireoaksaudi for £6.49 delivered! Main stealer wanted £6.99 and its not very close to me. Because the jet was new it took some time to fit it but it quickly slotted on after heating the plastic to make it a little more flexible to fit on the spindle. The Audi dealer did say this was a very common fault and stated owners will keep trying the rear jet even if it does not work, causing the motor to work harder and fail, pipe splits and water goes on the boot mech so can become a very expensive repair if not fixed sooner rather than later.
    To avoid it happening again all you need to do is put a filter cup in the washer bottle neck to stop the rubbish getting into the jets !

I found this out ( the hard way ) two years ago and have never had a problem since.

Available from Audi for less than a tenner if I remember correctly.

EDIT : this one item no. 6 £2.35 !
    Last edited by mike foster; 13th February 2013 at 20:39.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    To avoid it happening again all you need to do is put a filter cup in the washer bottle neck to stop the rubbish getting into the jets !

I found this out ( the hard way ) two years ago and have never had a problem since.

Available from Audi for less than a tenner if I remember correctly.
    Good idea! But please can you confirm if all Audi A3 8p washer bottle necks are about 40mm deep but instead of having a filter (like the golf mk4 bottles) they have a 5/6mm hole to alow the screenwash to go down but the bigger debris wont go in? sorry if that makes no sense. But I think the issue of the rear washer is the dirt getting into the rear jets? Cheers.

Fossie

Status
    Good idea! But please can you confirm if all Audi A3 8p washer bottle necks are about 40mm deep but instead of having a filter (like the golf mk4 bottles) they have a 5/6mm hole to alow the screenwash to go down but the bigger debris wont go in? sorry if that makes no sense. But I think the issue of the rear washer is the dirt getting into the rear jets? Cheers.
    All A3 8P washer bottle necks are the same and the strainer does not allow sh*t to get into the reservoir. The same reservoir is used for front and back washers.

Fitted as standard on cars with headlamp washers I believe.

For £2.35 just buy one and try it ! I did and never had a problem since.

Neutral

Status
    All A3 8P washer bottle necks are the same and the strainer does not allow sh*t to get into the reservoir. The same reservoir is used for front and back washers.

Fitted as standard on cars with headlamp washers I believe.

For £2.35 just buy one and try it ! I did and never had a problem since.
    100% will look into it (anything to prevent the fault!) any idea which model you know the filter came with so I can get the same? I think I have one from a mk4 golf but its a bit tatty from memory. (I have the headlight washers - 2006 model just no filter)

Fossie

Status
    100% will look into it (anything to prevent the fault!) any idea which model you know the filter came with so I can get the same? I think I have one from a mk4 golf but its a bit tatty from memory. (I have the headlight washers - 2006 model just no filter)
    A3 8P - as I said, they are all the same !
    Stev_A3 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    A3 8P - as I said, they are all the same !
    Great info will order! Many thanks.

Neutral

Status
    My rear washer is still working a treat. I did the same fix to my brothers 2005 8p and it works with the same pressure output as mine, however he noticed when he opens the boot the water runs down the tailgate lock (middle of the boot lid lock) and when the bootlid is down this water is running down the boot lock catch and into the wheel well, could someone please tell me where the water is coming from? Seems strange that if its leaking how the pressure output is still fine. Thank you.

1st Gear

Status
    He will have to dismantle the boot trim and look close to the top where the motor is and check seals for leaks. If its leaking you will have to either replace or use a repair kit.... Let me know how you get on!