S3 - ARB Options

roysterdsb

Reaction score
I've been trying to get a handle on the different options (types and front/rear thickness ratios) but have to admit to being slightly confused by how they are packaged up and sold (as a set) by various suppliers.

The H&R ARB set go thicker at the back (26mm) versus front (24mm)

KW set go thicker at the front (26mm) versus back (23mm)

Whiteline set up seem to go thicker at the front (24mm) versus back (22mm)

Eibach set again go thicker at the front (26mm) and only (22mm) at the back

Regardless of which option I go for, i'll be fitting adjustable drop-links to remove any pre-load.

There seems to be a lot of chat on ARB ratios for the 8L model but I cant get much in the way findings on what works best for 8P (understeer is obviously not good but neither is the back end going light... and i'm not that good on the throttle control...oops).

H&R set up would point to a more entertaining ride, but why are they the only ones out there with that approach (the S3 has been out for a very long time now. I'm drawn towards H&R approach but has everyone else got it wrong ? or are they catering for a different type of customer requirement...or is it just the way that the various tuners/parts suppliers are packaging them up as sets for sale ?

The car is going in next week for full Powerflex polybush (front and rear suspension - 9 different sets!), THS engine/transmission mounts, Vibratechnics dogbone insert, Whiteline - steering rack mount, anti-lift kit, bump steer correction & Superpro adjustable ball joints (along with replacing a few oem suspension bits & pieces).

I'll be fitting B16s, Quaife ATB Dif and uprated Haldex controller in the next phase of suspension developments (will be keeping it at the maximum height the B16s will allow when it's on the road - prefer the very stock look).

Thanks for any help/insight.

edit: just looked and seems that h&r does have front 26 and rear 24 arb, i've got h&r setup and i really like it.
arb's and walk were my first suspension mods and they really did transform the ride.
i've tried hard front and hard rear setup and there was no roll. but i've found that soft front and hard rear is better for reducing understeer and daily use.
i actually don't know anyone that has other arb kit than h&r..

Last edited:
Reactions: RedDejavu
I had the Eibach ARBs fitted to mine,with kW v3 suspension.

Since then,it's had VWRacing(Vibratechnics) engine mounts,Superpro fast road bush kit and anti-lift kit plus TCA's,and is awaiting a set of kW adjustable topmounts.

The Haldex controller was fitted early on.

That lot removes most of the understeer unless you push it really hard,plus a big increase in power means that you can get the back end to move around if you want.

edit: just looked and seems that h&r does have front 26 and rear 24 arb, i've got h&r setup and i really like it.
arb's and walk were my first suspension mods and they really did transform the ride.
i've tried hard front and hard rear setup and there was no roll. but i've found that soft front and hard rear is better for reducing understeer and daily use.

Same as above. Fitted mine hard front and back but there is too much vibration going through the steering wheel and brake pedal so I switched front back to soft and now feels very OEM but with extra grip and less roll. More like a FWD car if you know what I mean.

Thank you for that, where did you check ? I've looked everywhere online (even H&Rs own site) and it states the front is 24mm and rear is 26mm (it's the first PDF in the link under the ARB section, then it's page 4 & 5). Unless you did what I did when I was first writing out the post and transposed the H&R numbers.

H&R Fahrwerkskomponenten - Suspension program / Product search

Alex, I'm liking the sound of your set-up, what size are the Eibach ARBs you've got fitted ? And was there any reason why you didn't fit an LSD when you uprated your clutch ?

Cheers for the help on this, I just want to understand it better before taking the plunge and spending the £s

hi mate, when i bought them i had them sat home before fitting, and while i was posting on other forum someone asked me for the thickness, so found that's other way arround.
but i also think that h&r has different thickness setups?

yes i see now on their site that their 4wd are 24 front and 26 back...hm...maybe i got it wrong. don't know how to check it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: roysterdsb
I have Eibachs on my A3 cabrio - they now have a new kit that comes pre-installed with the mounting brackets on the fronts so fitting time is greatly reduced. Most stockists supply the older kit.

What do the adjustable drop links give us?

My knowledge of suspension dynamics and all the different variables = postage stamp sized... My very basic understanding of them is that they have a couple of benefits -

1. Most adjustable aftermarket drop links are polybushed and it keeps the car more level (ARB moves quicker) as it goes around corners quickly (than the normal rubber bush)
2. More importantly, being able to set the correct length ensures that you can remove any pre-load that exists on the car (so it sits level on both sides)

In summary.... it helps keep the suspension geometry in line when pushing hard through corners.

I'm hoping some track junky techy dude comes on though and understands it that well they can explain it to me & everyone else through the use of a simple analogy :)

has anybody ever tried the hotchkis ARBs for the a3/s3? this is the one im looking to get...