Glow Plug problems on A3 2.0 TDi 2005

Blacky165

Reaction score
Really hope someone can help me identify a part on my car! (2005 A3 2.0L TDi BKD engine, DSG)

For the past 6 months I've had a glow plug fault which throws an engine management light on the dash. My VCDS tells me that it's an intermittent fault on all 4 cylinders - after a brief investigation I found the feed cable to the glow plug harness badly damaged (much of the cable insulation has been worn away, looks like it's been rubbing on the airbox - strange). After applying some insulation tape to the damaged area the fault went away for months, however now it's back and the car is struggling to start with all this cold weather.

I could always apply some more insulation tape but I think it would be better just to replace the part, however I don't know what the part number is, or what the section of cable is called.

One end of the mystery cable has the large round plug that attaches to the top of the engine and feeds the glow plug harness, the other end disappears into the engine somewhere. Does anyone know what this cable is called?

I know at least one end is easy to remove, you just twist it and it detaches from the engine, no idea about the other end? Has anyone replaced this cable?

I'll try and upload a picture to help explain what I mean, but for clarification it's not the glow plug harness, it's the cable directly before the glow plug harness.

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate all replies.

I think the part you mean is called 'wiring set for engine' and is part number 03G 972 619 AC. However the suffix letter changes depending on chassis number.

Thanks Mike, just googled that part and I think you're right. Found some Russian site selling them. Unfortunately it looks (from the exploded diagram) like this part has 12 connectors on it! This might be a bigger job than I had anticipated.

The damaged area is in-between plugs 15 and 13.

Could always cut, repair/solder, heatshrink, but given location I'd just replace the whole loom for peace of mind.