Badger5AH Fabrications
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 15Degrees-North S3 turbo Race Car build

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Decided on which clutch?
    No, was looking at the BDM ones. Any preference and supplier?

This BWA engine has a massive oil pump in it. I think it's a load of balance shafts. Any advantage over the small oil pump on its own I have been using apart from taking up the whole sump lol.

I am and have been using just this.

AUDI A3/A4/A6/S3/TT OIL PUMP/CHAIN/TENSIONER KIT - 06A115105B - BRAND NEW !!! | eBay

2. # ADS
    ADS

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 15Degrees View Post
    No, was looking at the BDM ones. Any preference and supplier?

This BWA engine has a massive oil pump in it. I think it's a load of balance shafts. Any advantage over the small oil pump on its own I have been using apart from taking up the whole sump lol.

I am and have been using just this.

AUDI A3/A4/A6/S3/TT OIL PUMP/CHAIN/TENSIONER KIT - 06A115105B - BRAND NEW !!! | eBay
    Mine was a Spec Stg3+ clutch.

1st Gear

Status
    Mine was a Spec Stg3+ clutch.
    Where did you get that from Alex?

Rarely neutral

Status
    Where did you get that from Alex?
    I got mine via AMDTuning but I think Backdraft are also agents.

1st Gear

Status
    Ok Short update. I shall add pics later as lets face it a build thread without pics is boring

So new block is good and honed. It turns out the block is also modified to take a timing belt tension wheel in a different position so I need to drill and tap that 8mm hole for that.
    The golf head I bought for £50 pressure tested ok and has been seat cut and my race valves fitted. Its also been skimmed so also ready to go although it's not ported like my last head was.

I started to assemble the engine bank holiday weekend and my wrist pins did'nt fit my rods! Can you imagine how pissed I was? Anyway yesterday I took my old rods and a pin back to Arrow and it seems Woosner made their pins out of tolerance and Arrow have seen this before. They are working on my new rods to get them to fit my pins today. My pistons had picked up a bit on the skirts so ive dremmeled them off and cleaned them up. Piston to bore clearance is 5 thou so a bit slacker but should be fine once warm.

The turbo, manifold and downpipe are back from camcoat and are now ceramic coated and we have seriously vented the bonnet now with a massive mesh intake over the turbo and two vents front of the bonnet either side. I have also dremmeled off the vanes on my water pump so I can install the Davies Craig water pump but retain the Audi one for the timing belt.

Buying a new bearing for the turbo today just in case metal went up that feed pipe. There was metal everywhere in the bottom end, the oil pump was jammed up with it and the oil filter housing was full of the stuff. None in the top end though so turbo might be ok. I spent two hours cleaning the plastic filter housing in my parts washer and with a magnet as I am paranoid about leaving a small piece of metal in there!

Anyway pics to follow.
    S3Alex likes this.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Good to hear you've had an enjoyable Bank Holiday!

What you're saying about the pins implies that not only were the pins out of tolerance,but also the original rods must have been also to some degree,either for them to fit,or to fit without being too loose.

Love to see the pics of the manifold etc now they've been coated.

Best of luck,and I do hope there aren't any more surprises hidden away.

1st Gear

Status
    Good to hear you've had an enjoyable Bank Holiday!

What you're saying about the pins implies that not only were the pins out of tolerance,but also the original rods must have been also to some degree,either for them to fit,or to fit without being too loose.

Love to see the pics of the manifold etc now they've been coated.

Best of luck,and I do hope there aren't any more surprises hidden away.
    Yeah Aaron though the original rods had a smaller bush in them. He is checking that today.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Yeah Aaron though the original rods had a smaller bush in them. He is checking that today.
    That's so difficult to live with,when everything is just not quite what you can easily replace.

Good luck as ever....still waiting on mine being diagnosed.

1st Gear

Status
    That's so difficult to live with,when everything is just not quite what you can easily replace.

Good luck as ever....still waiting on mine being diagnosed.
    Rods are now fixed. Being sent back today. Turbo cant be identified from the numbers on it LOL. Not heard that before with this car! It's probabaly of an obscure Russian tractor or something!

Rarely neutral

Status
    Rods are now fixed. Being sent back today. Turbo cant be identified from the numbers on it LOL. Not heard that before with this car! It's probabaly of an obscure Russian tractor or something!
    Going by the luck you've had so far,it may well be.

A place like Owen Developments would probably be able to work it out,but they would no doubt charge.

1st Gear

Status
    I am reliably informed that the rod bushes were ground incorrectly!

Rarely neutral

Status
    I am reliably informed that the rod bushes were ground incorrectly!
    It gets better and better,doesn't it.

At least now with a virtually new engine,you have a solid base of known parts and replacements,rather than having to hunt around like you have so far,to find out which parts are OK,and which aren't.

That's the plus side I guess.

1st Gear

Status
    I have some niggles. The black plastic oil filter hosuing was FULL of metal. I have cleaned and cleaned it and used a magnet on it but it niggles me there might be just one small bit in there and its going on the new engine. So I cleaned it again lol and then again and then again after that.

If I remove the prop shaft as im not using the rear diff at the moment will that be ok? The front transfer box will just spin but I wont lose any power in driving a shaft yes?

1st Gear

Status
    So some more pictures for you.

A nice shot of the mess you make when you overheat an engine! Dont do it.

The piston had hit the head as you can see

And knackered the crank too

And then bust the piston

And the rod for good measure

My new engine block BWA £195 quid non runner. A risk

A vaneless water pump

I dont think I will have a heat issue anymore

A hopefully metal free oil filter housing

My new crank fitted. This had the smaller oil pump chain wheel on it. So I pulled it off with my puller and tapped on the AXX bigger one.

More to follow...

Rarely neutral

Status
    I have some niggles. The black plastic oil filter hosuing was FULL of metal. I have cleaned and cleaned it and used a magnet on it but it niggles me there might be just one small bit in there and its going on the new engine. So I cleaned it again lol and then again and then again after that.

If I remove the prop shaft as im not using the rear diff at the moment will that be ok? The front transfer box will just spin but I wont lose any power in driving a shaft yes?
    That should be OK,and will lose you far less than taking out the Haldex fuse for instance(which isn't a good idea in any place,for any length of time).

The engine was well knackered wasn't it.....the new one seems to be going together nicely though.

Keep the pictures coming.

1st Gear

Status
    Bah cams are ****ed too and the lifters. Gave them a better inspection before fitting and noticed two lobes have gone to points and 2 lifters are scored. You can feel it but not quite see it. God I don't do things by half's do I. That's another grands worth of damage right there Flywheel is also missing some teeth oddly enough so I'm ordering a new A3 quattro one and race clutch kit.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Bah cams are ****ed too and the lifters. Gave them a better inspection before fitting and noticed two lobes have gone to points and 2 lifters are scored. You can feel it but not quite see it. God I don't do things by half's do I. That's another grands worth of damage right there Flywheel is also missing some teeth oddly enough so I'm ordering a new A3 quattro one and race clutch kit.
    Like you said.....not done by halves!

Good luck as always......it's a real pain when it takes so much time and effort.

1st Gear

Status
    Like you said.....not done by halves!

Good luck as always......it's a real pain when it takes so much time and effort.
    It is but I enjoy it. Making mistakes and learning from them etc. You won't last in Motorsport if you can't take the blow ups and crash repairs as that is a large part of the sport!

Rarely neutral

Status
    It is but I enjoy it. Making mistakes and learning from them etc. You won't last in Motorsport if you can't take the blow ups and crash repairs as that is a large part of the sport!
    That's true.

Mine is nowhere near motorsport,but I've really enjoyed pushing it (not literally!) this far,and doing something that Audi never intended.

I've learnt a lot in the last week about how many sensors the car can run without!

1st Gear

Status
    That's true.

Mine is nowhere near motorsport,but I've really enjoyed pushing it (not literally!) this far,and doing something that Audi never intended.

I've learnt a lot in the last week about how many sensors the car can run without!
    Mine has

Lambda
    Oil temp
    Oil pressure
    Water temp
    Crank position

That's it LOL

Rarely neutral

Status
    Mine has

Lambda
    Oil temp
    Oil pressure
    Water temp
    Crank position

That's it LOL
    I now know that mine has been running with a knackered MAF,stuck thermostat,and wonky readings from the MAP sensor.....all adding up to a 20% overfuelling problem.

1st Gear

Status
    Some more pics for you

Pistons all cleaned up and fitted to the Arrow rods. The numbers are piston to bore clearance in thou. A bit larger than they should be because I had to clean up the skirts but not large enough to worry about. Might get a small amount of slap when very cold at startup but it will soon go away once warm.

This little gadget is an ARP stretch gauge. Don't fit your rods without one. My rods were up to 16Nm out to the loose side before I reached optimum stretch.

More to follow...

1st Gear

Status
    Small update. The lifters have finally arrived as has my new flywheel from BDM so I can now get the engine fully back together and into the car. Pics to follow.
    S3Alex likes this.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Small update. The lifters have finally arrived as has my new flywheel from BDM so I can now get the engine fully back together and into the car. Pics to follow.
    Good to hear it's progressing.

Some things just take so long to come together,and I'm personally so pleased to have mine back,that I know how you must be feeling.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678