Badger5Monster Motorsport

Thread: Hids

Neutral

Status

Hids

New to this site so this has probably been covered before, headlight went today in my 09 plate a3, just wondering before i buy what hid kit it is that i actually need? Seen h1's mentioned, d2s and h7. Pretty sure its h7 but just double checking
    cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Welcome

When you say headlight went, can you be more specific, bulb has failed?

Is it a bixenon, does it have led drl, pic would be good.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Welcome

When you say headlight went, can you be more specific, bulb has failed?

Is it a bixenon, does it have led drl, pic would be good.
    Bulb went, and its not bixenon

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    H7, I have some oem H7's around here somewhere.

Neutral

Status
    Hids would be legal in normal headlights?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    No, H7 isnt hid anyway.

Neutral

Status
    You can buy hids with a h7 fitting, just thought you needed projector headlights.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    That wont be legal tbh, anyway your choice.

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    H7's but read up about HID kits blowing wiper motors.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    H7's but read up about HID kits blowing wiper motors.
    £300 wiper motor cost me after i went down the cheap HID route never again will i buy HID kit for a car put me right off lol
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI140 View Post
    £300 wiper motor cost me after i went down the cheap HID route never again will i buy HID kit for a car put me right off lol
    I replaced my halogens with uprated halogens which appear white, they are so sheeeeeet, wish i just stuck to oem headlights now even these osram nightbreakers aren't any good.
    Next a3 i get will defo have xenons as an option!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've just purchased a hid kit for my car due to the fact the halogen bulbs are shocking, the kit I've bought is:

AUDI CANBUS ERROR FREE H7 XENON HID LIGHTS CONVERSION KIT A3, A4, TT, QUATTRO | eBay

after reading multiple post on different threads many people have said they'd be illegal and some not. Will this kit be aalright in oem headlights? Bit concerned that I may of purchased a kit for nothing :/ some guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Radford212 View Post
    I've just purchased a hid kit for my car due to the fact the halogen bulbs are shocking, the kit I've bought is:

AUDI CANBUS ERROR FREE H7 XENON HID LIGHTS CONVERSION KIT A3, A4, TT, QUATTRO | eBay

after reading multiple post on different threads many people have said they'd be illegal and some not. Will this kit be aalright in oem headlights? Bit concerned that I may of purchased a kit for nothing :/ some guidance would be appreciated

Thanks
    I'm afraid that if you fit those you are likely (almost certain) to blow your wiper motor !

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yeah I've read that else where, I don't have the £££ to justify spending 400/500 on a set of headlights. The place that's going to fit them hasnt mentioned the wiper motor. I'll ask them about it first but my main concern was will they be illegal? As they are just going into standard headlights?

Fossie

Status
    I know you have had a search so you must be aware that aftermarket HID's (in fact OEM HID's as well) require self levelling sensors and headlamp washers to be completely legal.

It would appear that most people on here are not too bothered about being legal or not but it seems as though you are, admirably, concerned to remain legal. As far as I know it is not illegal to fit HID's into halogen headlamps as such provided all the other necessary requirements are fitted as well.

The beam pattern is the most important factor for safety (and MOT) and because of the nature of HID's these additional fitments are considered by VOSA to be essential.

If whoever is fitting the HID's does not mention the wiper motor issue then get them to guarantee that they will replace the motor if such a thing should happen.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'll definitely double check with them about the wiper motor issue (thanks for the heads up) as for the auto levelling sensors and headlamp washers, where would I go to get them? I hate it when driving towards someone that's blinding me so I'd hate to become someone that I'd complain about personally. I've also read that 8k are too blue so that's another issue for me too look at. Unfortunately if that is the case I've either wasted my money and potentially cost myself more with the motor issue or ill put them back on eBay. I'll ask these questions before I give the go ahead for installation.

Fossie

Status
    I think 8k is too blue and will not project sufficient light anyway. Apparently 6300k is a better compromise.

Don't know how much the sensors will cost to fit but it will be in the £100's and the headlamp washers will require a new bumper with cut-outs ( or cut existing) in addition to washer jets and motor.

Reverse Gear

Status
    To be honest it's beginning to sound like to much hassle may have to rethink and start again, and there was me looking forward to putting them in.

Fossie

Status
    Have a search for 'aftermarket HID's' and get a feel for the whole issue. You are clearly a responsible owner so you need to have as much information as possible to make an informed decision.

Good luck if you go ahead - and please keep us informed.

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    although if you feel like banging in a set of £50 xenons, make sure they are earthed correctly so they dont blow the wiper motor!

Reverse Gear

Status
    After looking through many pages on Google and the department of transport website it looks like I wont be installing my hid kit for fear of my car becoming illegal after retrofitting it into standard halogen reflector headlight.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...-headlamps.pdf

looks like my kit will be going on ebay (wasted some money there, teach me not to look it up properly first)

so if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the most of my standard headlights at the moment, i.e what bulbs would look good in there currently. heard a lot of people mention Osram Nightbreakers? any body have them?

Again sorry to have dragged this out, just looking for suggestions from people who have been there done that, sort of thing.

Neutral

Status
    After looking through many pages on Google and the department of transport website it looks like I wont be installing my hid kit for fear of my car becoming illegal after retrofitting it into standard halogen reflector headlight.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...-headlamps.pdf

looks like my kit will be going on ebay (wasted some money there, teach me not to look it up properly first)

so if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the most of my standard headlights at the moment, i.e what bulbs would look good in there currently. heard a lot of people mention Osram Nightbreakers? any body have them?

Again sorry to have dragged this out, just looking for suggestions from people who have been there done that, sort of thing.
    i got some 80w xenon hid style bulbs from halfords, says off road only but the output is just about right, nice colour temp aswell imo.

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Camerz View Post
    i got some 80w xenon hid style bulbs from halfords, says off road only but the output is just about right, nice colour temp aswell imo.
    As those are illegal for use on UK roads I'm sure Radford won't be interested.

Just keep an eye on your wiring etc. because the headlight looms are designed for 55 watt which is the max. allowed and any increase in current like that ( +50% ish ) could be a fire hazard.

2nd Gear

Status
    Some people can't be told

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    As those are illegal for use on UK roads I'm sure Radford won't be interested.

Just keep an eye on your wiring etc. because the headlight looms are designed for 55 watt which is the max. allowed and any increase in current like that ( +50% ish ) could be a fire hazard.
    I have used some of thee 'off road use only' bulbs from Halfords on my 306 HDI a few years ago when i was even more of a 'pup'.

The lens(plastic as it was the facelift) melted near where the tip of the bulb sits (full beam), and yes they were fitted correctly!!

So I think they get a bit warm, I'd stay away!!
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

3rd Gear

Status
    I was in the same boat as mjr901, they cracked the lenses on my old car and melted the rear of the light unit. I will reiterate what he said, stay away.

Phillips xtreme or Osram nightbreakers if you cant afford a full retro fit of projectors with HIDs.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.vincent3 View Post
    I was in the same boat as mjr901, they cracked the lenses on my old car and melted the rear of the light unit. I will reiterate what he said, stay away.

Phillips xtreme or Osram nightbreakers if you cant afford a full retro fit of projectors with HIDs.
    thanks! ive actually just been looking at those exact bulbs on Car Bulbs, Headlights, Xenon Bulbs | Philips & Osram | PowerBulbs and they seem reasonably priced and the reviews are really encouraging.

Oh and Mike I went to the place that were going to fit my HID kit and told them about the problems with the wiper motor and they've not heard of it but as soon as i said i had reflectors they immediately mentioned about how the beam pattern would be wrong and become a subsequent MOT failure. So it looks like i'll be ordering Phillips Blue Vision Ultras for my dipped and Phillips
    X-treme vision for my mains (cant see that being a problem as they're both road legal and e marked)

Alot of people have mentioned a user who sells LED side light bulbs, can you let me know who that is please?

3rd Gear

Status
    thanks! ive actually just been looking at those exact bulbs on Car Bulbs, Headlights, Xenon Bulbs | Philips & Osram | PowerBulbs and they seem reasonably priced and the reviews are really encouraging.

Oh and Mike I went to the place that were going to fit my HID kit and told them about the problems with the wiper motor and they've not heard of it but as soon as i said i had reflectors they immediately mentioned about how the beam pattern would be wrong and become a subsequent MOT failure. So it looks like i'll be ordering Phillips Blue Vision Ultras for my dipped and Phillips
    X-treme vision for my mains (cant see that being a problem as they're both road legal and e marked)

Alot of people have mentioned a user who sells LED side light bulbs, can you let me know who that is please?
    This is a photo of my old car, (MG ZR) with new headlight units with Phillips xtreme bulbs.

Reverse Gear

Status
    they definitely produce more light than my standard halogen bulbs, I'm assuming they're just a straight swap which is handy

3rd Gear

Status
    they definitely produce more light than my standard halogen bulbs, I'm assuming they're just a straight swap which is handy
    Yeah straight swap. I'd imagen the output of these bulbs in an Audi head unit to be a bit better than the MG's so I personally cant see why people opt for illegal, MOT failing and just plain annoying HIDs.

Reverse Gear

Status
    That's good to hear, bit of good news at last, all the rest was really helpful, don't get me wrong but a dampener on things seeing as i was looking forward to installing my HID kit, but hopefully going to send them back or re-advertise them (sure some one will buy them)

Think i'll put the blue vision ultras in my dipped beam and the x-treme vision in my main beams hopefully get the look i want and then its a case of fog lights and side lights

Fossie

Status
    That's good to hear, bit of good news at last, all the rest was really helpful, don't get me wrong but a dampener on things seeing as i was looking forward to installing my HID kit, but hopefully going to send them back or re-advertise them (sure some one will buy them)

Think i'll put the blue vision ultras in my dipped beam and the x-treme vision in my main beams hopefully get the look i want and then its a case of fog lights and side lights
    The guy you need to talk to is ASN member T8ups who does LED kits for loads on here. PM him and he'll soon get back to you.

Good luck, I hope you get the look that you want !
    Last edited by mike foster; 18th January 2013 at 21:04.

1st Gear

Status

Hids

Any chance of an update radford?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry been away for a while, had things going on that needed me to focus on more. I've just ordered some Phillips extreme for my main beam and the Phillips blue vision for normal headlights, will post pictures when fitted