Tfsi misfire??????

OVRA3

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just up in Manchester on business, on the way up here it was minus 9 degrees in parts and my car developed a horrendous misfire under load which as soon as it got 'warmer' aka minus 2 it stopped happening and has been fine since? Does anyone else know or has experienced this?

Hmm, strange one. Usually if a coil has died it would miss constantly.

When were the plugs last changed?

Scan it VCDS to see if you pin point which cylinder was misfiring, then swap the coil with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows.

Hmm, strange one. Usually if a coil has died it would miss constantly.

When were the plugs last changed?

Scan it VCDS to see if you pin point which cylinder was misfiring, then swap the coil with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows.

Well the coil packs were done under recall last year, 20k service done last march but the plugs were fine apparently. It has been remapped since then so maybe it does need new plugs?

Ok update, car scanned and fault codes came up... Random misfire detected and random misfire cylinder 2.

I thought it could be coil packs as had them done last year.. But my mate thinks we should go for new plugs and a new coil pack on cylinder 2.

What do you guys think sensible diagnosis?

I should just also add the misfire is now almost constant not really in 5th or 6th but if I drop it into 3rd and give it full beans it stutters.. Hope it's just the above and nothing else car is starting to cost a fortune :-(

I'd definitely change the plugs mate see if that solves the problem, If not then change the coils.

I'd definitely change the plugs mate see if that solves the problem, If not then change the coils.

I'll give that a bash, just seems weird that it just came on all of a sudden?

Ok 52 quid spent new ngk's and a new coil pack on cylinder 2... Plugs were not in good shape.. A bit rusty??? And badly gapped.. 52 quid later on parts and for the 2 miles I drove reving her up to 6500k (since the map rev limiter has been upped) no sign of misfire in fact she pulls harder than ever! Fingers crossed we are all good now :)

Thanks mate I'm touching my wood as we speak :p