Audi RNS-E 2008 crashing

davicio

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an S3 2007 but with a newer model of the Multimedia System installed.
It has been playing havoc lately, but mainly with the Satellite Navigation which requires a CD to make it work - this is such a rubbish idea. Audi deserve to be shot for this one thing alone.

If I go to the navigation panel, it can sometimes take me forever just to get into the 'street' field. Without access, I cannot set my route. Once it has finally got through in selecting it, it takes ages to work out the route, often 20 mins or so.

Then we have the fact like today it will crash on me midway through. Today it stated I was practically driving on the runway of Heathrow when I was on the M25. The screen also got stuck. I'm convinced this is to do with the CD as media wise the SD cards work as does bluetooth.

I also have 2 Sat Nav disks and both fail - but mostly when the car has had a 20 minute drive. On start up, generally it works.

Please help, I'm going mad over this!

Are the navigation discs originals or copies? If they are original discs in good condition then I would guess that the DVD drive is toast or the laser lens is very dirty. Do you leave the nav disc in the drive or has it also been used for audio CDs?

I should attempt a music CD and see how we get along as I really only use SD for music.
I have 2 disks re Sat Nav - 1 original; 1 copy.

Update tomorrow I guess :(

As above, it could be several things, dvd scratched, dodgy copy, more than likely dirty laser head & also gps antenna.

I'm going with laser head, which if its that bad, it probably needs cleaning directly with a cotton bud, as the cd head cleaners are usually only temp fixes & the dirt is probably burn into the lense as such, so needs more pressure directly, if this fails then maybe a different dvd or even a drive.

Check the firmware version under the car menu aswell see how ld it is.

Okay I can confirm it is definitely CD as music CD also was unable to read. This would now seem to be the main cause.
How exactly do I clean it - just stick a cotton bud in an reach for the top and clean?

It is going into Audi for a major service and they are supposed to take a look at it - apparently a common problem as a TT 10 plate had issues like mine. The stereo is an upgrade - not sure from what and have no receipt. It does not state CD but media instead. My year had the CD button so this is definitely an upgrade.

Hi all - I have come to the conclusion my CD lens must be ********; I'm not entirely sure it just needs a clean. I have seen other threads with replacement of the CD lens with success.

I have called Impulse in Watford who do not do repairs. They provided me with a contact number of an independent who does but I have to remove the stereo and leave it with him - which is not an ideal solution at all. The last time I attempted playign about with a stereo was in my s2k and it went horribly wrong!

Has anyone got any recommendations for North/Central London and South Herts?

Thanks.

I do repairs, give me a shout via PM :)

I maybe passing hertfordshire over the next day or so, so maybe could drop with me to repair & when I pass you which is often, drop back in your hands or post.

Sorry mate, I came back in the bad snow & couldnt divert to your area, but I will reply now & we can see what we can do.