• 1 Post By z1mma
  • 1 Post By <tuffty/>
  • 1 Post By mjr901
  • 1 Post By Lordloverocket

Thread: S3 any ideas for cheap engine mods you can do at home for good power

Reverse Gear

Status

S3 any ideas for cheap engine mods you can do at home for good power

Hey guys just after a few ideas to do some engine mods to my S3 that wont cost a fortune if i do it myself looking at spending £300 or something but hoping for some good bhp
    Already chopped silencer out and panel filter, getting remap done but is there anything else???
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 16th January 2013 at 12:37. Reason: Caps....

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    What?!!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You wont get much more without going for custom/stage 2 etc, which needs new fuel pump, intake etc & £300 wont get yo far for those, spend it on internal upgrades maybe.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    I heard you can upgrade the cams is that an easy job something you can do ur self?
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 16th January 2013 at 12:38. Reason: Caps.... (again)

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Can you stop posting with caps as thats considered shouting fella please.

Thats not going to be cheap is it, plus you need to know what you're doing, which you may or may not, but changing cams would go hand in hand with other power mods afaik or would seem pointless, which as I said would cost allot more than £300, best to talk to a pro tuner & see what they can offer.

S3 (8P)

Status
    £300 will get you a cheap Remap and around 35bhp. Exhaust chopping isnt required.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

5th Gear

Status
    £300 buys you fuel pump internals and can be done yourself if you are careful.
    "Dont get me wrong. Ugly girls need loving. Just not by me."

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah but not allot else lol & whats the point of the internals, if the map etc cant take advantage

5th Gear

Status
    Why buying S3 in the first place when you cannot afford to mod it? 300 is not something that will give you much gains, to have decent stage 1 you need at least £400 then stage 2 £300 intake + 600-1200 for exhaust + £100 for additional ECU remapping not to mention that it is suggested to look into handling alongside with extra power. If I were you I would have spent it on petrol.

...and remember you get what you pay for at the end of the day.
    thebluefox and SparkyMcA like this.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    Why buying S3 in the first place when you cannot afford to mod it? 300 is not something that will give you much gains, to have decent stage 1 you need at least £400 then stage 2 £300 intake + 600-1200 for exhaust + £100 for additional ECU remapping not to mention that it is suggested to look into handling alongside with extra power. If I were you I would have spent it on petrol.

This, one thousand times this.

Neutral

Status
    Buy a decent detailing kit

1st Gear

Status
    Cheap mod... remove the flap from your backbox... it prolly wont go quicker but it will sound like it is... sorry cant post link using mobile app but if you scroll further down the topics you should find it...
    NIC1985 likes this.
    Audi S3 8p
    H&r springs 25mm | H&R spacers| Milltek exhaust | Induction kit | Autotech HPFP with new cam follower | RS4 Fuel pressure regulator | Later spec “D” Recirculating valve | Revo stage 2+ Software | Uprated sach clutch

&

Audi A4 b7 2.0TDi S-line

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NIC1985 View Post
    I heard you can upgrade the cams is that an easy job something you can do ur self?
    I'd get a remap first... this a is a turbo car... tuning turbo cars are different to normally aspirated cars... cams are realistically only useful once you have upped the boost etc... bang for buck you would gain nowt from cams over a remap... even then cams tend to only really work on bigger turbo applications... (400+ hp)

<tuffty/>
    NIC1985 likes this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Get remap stage 1 custom map ive seen results from 265bhp go to 310bhp depending who you use £300 with dyno results should be a good map and price
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post

not been funny but, you think if i had an extra 15k to spend on modding an audi s3, why would I buy a 16k S3 cash in the first place id of bought a nissan GTR on chucky and not bothered with the engine!
    Im looking at spending 4k and that will do im not going mad!!! this is gonna be a learning curve to see what i can do myself as i want to get my hands dirty.
    thanks for all the positive posts

sooooo looks like the best place 4 me to start is on a remap, I heard ( Blufin or shark ) are the best less theres any others that someone could recommend that would be better

Rarely neutral

Status

S3 any ideas for cheap engine mods you can do at home for good power

Quote Originally Posted by thebluefox View Post
    This, one thousand times this.
    And again a thousand times.

Cheap,crappy mods done cheaply will come back to bite you.

Any mods in terms of power should be done properly by people who know what they are doing or you will pay more to fix the mess later.

The S3 does NOT need cam changes and as one running over 500bhp I can confirm that.

In any case it would require a proper head strip down and build.

Save your money and put it towards a decent software remap.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    £300 is best used to fill the tank with Vpower and learn on a track day or something to make the most of what you have tbh.

Reverse Gear

Status
    so basically your saying that trying to do stuff to this car myself is a bad idea and should leave it alone,

Is there nothing i can do myself????

my pal seems to do stuff to his and he just gets stuff off the forums and his is 330bhp and running fine.

i wouldnt think of attemting anything serious like boring head out and getting oversized pistons, just wouldnt mind doing some simple mods my self but doesn't seem like any1's
    got any do it ur self tips

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Mods up to Stage 2+ doesnt really go much futher than this stuff engine wise. So this should cover the stages before too.

-Fit an Intake 'Do yourself'

-Turbo back exhaust is a must.

-PCV fix 'Do yourself'

-fit latest Diverter valve 'Do yourself'

-Remap via OBD port using STS device or similar, best to have it custom really. 'Do yourself'

- Fuel pump internals (Autotech) fiddly and needs to be done in clean environment. 'Do yourself'

- RS4 Fuel valve - 'Do yourself'

Id start with Autotech internals and remap should be the last thing you do.
    Last edited by mjr901; 18th January 2013 at 22:14.
    NIC1985 likes this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Reverse Gear

Status
    the £300 wa just what I was thinking of spending the other day as i wanted to go buy anything and fit it myself

ive just orderded some 19" VMR 710's in black with tyres just short of 2grand so am not that flush at mo

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Your pal have an S3?

We have no idea of your skill level either tbh so it's hard to comment. Most of the stage 2 mods are doable at home if you have the skills

so basically your saying that trying to do stuff to this car myself is a bad idea and should leave it alone,

my pal seems to do stuff to his and he just gets stuff off the forums and his is 330bhp and running fine.

i wouldnt think of attemting anything serious like boring head out and getting oversized pistons, just wouldnt mind doing some simple mods my self but doesn't seem like any1's

Reverse Gear

Status
    im good at practical stuff ive had alot of motorcross bikes as i used to love that when i was in my teens, and ive stripped a crosser to the frame, sent the frame and casing covers for blasting n spraying, got all new parts and put the bike together and it ran perfect.

pretty simple bikes tho, no electrical sensors etc throwing **** loads of faults up everytime you do something

Rarely neutral

Status

Basically,I think we're all saying the same things.

There are a few simple things you can do yourself,such as the exhaust,CAI,and possibly the fuel pump,but if you don't do the latter very carefully,and very clean,you'll possibly scrap your engine.

You don't need to do ANY head work or internals until you're into the realms of big turbo kits,and serious expense.

The stock internals on an S3 will run 400bhp and 440lbs reliably,but for that you need a lot of other parts and a professional tuner.

Neutral

Status
    Hey guys just after a few ideas to do some engine mods to my S3 that wont cost a fortune if i do it myself looking at spending £300 or something but hoping for some good bhp
    Already chopped silencer out and panel filter, getting remap done but is there anything else???
    What did you do here buddy?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Guy J

just took the car to a exhaust fitting company in sheffield and they chopped the silencer out and put a straight pipe in its place they just welded it where the silencer was cut out, not a job to do at home.

I have since thought im going to get a turbo bk exhaust. silencer doesn't gain any power just better sound

2nd Gear

Status
    Poor Audi S3
    Ice Silver Audi S3 (8P3) https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.n.long

1st Gear

Status
    Get it tuned by somebody who knows what they are doing. If they can demonstrate their knowledge (and changes) to your software while you are there - as opposed to sending and waiting for an email from God knows who you should be able to trust them.

ny
    Stage 1 tuning is fine on this engine with no other mods. If you are going down the route of HPFP, Decent Induction, D.Pipe, Full Stainless and aggressive tuning then you will end up with an animal. But it isn't needed for normal daily driving. Anywhere around 300hp mark is more than plenty - then, if you want to go further be prepared to spend a decent chunk, as suggested.

1st Gear

Status
    Maybe some stripes on the car people think that gives more power!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Someone's up early!

Maybe i'll like this forum after all! :D

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben S3 8P3 View Post
    Poor Audi S3
    lol

S3 Newbie

Status
    Is this a wind up??

Whats with the 'bragging' about how much you've spent?? Who cares?!

Some sound advice above, you should listen to it rather than criticise or argue against it!!
    Jonse likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Personally I wouldn't touch a car again with tuning and modding I've seen it first hand what it can do as quick as you put things on snd you can't really do it on a small budget

Reverse Gear

Status
    Mods up to Stage 2+ doesnt really go much futher than this stuff engine wise. So this should cover the stages before too.

-Fit an Intake 'Do yourself'

-Turbo back exhaust is a must.

-PCV fix 'Do yourself'

-fit latest Diverter valve 'Do yourself'

-Remap via OBD port using STS device or similar, best to have it custom really. 'Do yourself'

- Fuel pump internals (Autotech) fiddly and needs to be done in clean environment. 'Do yourself'

- RS4 Fuel valve - 'Do yourself'

Id start with Autotech internals and remap should be the last thing you do.

PERFECT EXAMPLE of a good answer, here to help not to say how stupid ppl are for wanting to learn and do something there self.

Not here to argue lads CBA

1st Gear

Status
    Uprated anti roll bars are about £300 iirc and you should be able to do it yourself if your handy, they'll help you go round corners quicker
    S3 Sept 08 to.....
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport April 04 - May 08