Monster MotorsportEM Tuning

Thread: Bad day :[

Reverse Gear

Status

Bad day :[

To start with I own an A3 quattro tdi 140 55 plate.
    Well after 2 weeks of phone calls,emails and tx msgs to the dealer i bought it from and 2 weeks of no car as its sat in the garage awaiting the go ahead for some warranty work (turbo and driveshaft gaiters) I had a phone call from the car dealer (taking into consideration that they sell aston martins porches and high end cars) saying that the 3 month warranty that they take out with RAC won't cover me as its classed as "wear and tear" of my car! They said thats because of its year and that ill have to pay for it myself!!i thought if I had 3 months warranty by law that if anything went wrong in that time that the dealer should be responsible? Do I have a leg to stand on or am I wasting my time going to trading standards etc etc?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I certainly would be trying everything I could to not pay,
    Buying from a garage people don't do Rac checks because the garage is suppose to check out the car,
    Got nothing to loose trading standards won't cost you anything,

Worst case scenario and you cant get the work done for free try and do a deal to pay half with the dealer,
    Best of luck mate

5th Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sid-84 View Post
    To start with I own an A3 quattro tdi 140 55 plate.
    Well after 2 weeks of phone calls,emails and tx msgs to the dealer i bought it from and 2 weeks of no car as its sat in the garage awaiting the go ahead for some warranty work (turbo and driveshaft gaiters) I had a phone call from the car dealer (taking into consideration that they sell aston martins porches and high end cars) saying that the 3 month warranty that they take out with RAC won't cover me as its classed as "wear and tear" of my car! They said thats because of its year and that ill have to pay for it myself!!i thought if I had 3 months warranty by law that if anything went wrong in that time that the dealer should be responsible? Do I have a leg to stand on or am I wasting my time going to trading standards etc etc?
    Take it back and demand a refund, you have the right to do that by law
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

Reverse Gear

Status

The trading standards read me the rights I have and I remember them mentioning general wear and tear so hopefully that isn't a loophole they can use :/ just wondering if anyone else has had any grief with warranty and dealers?

5th Gear

Status

I don't think wear and tear comes into it it's more about if you are not happy with your purchase they have to refund.
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

Neutral

Status
    ypu get 28days for a full refund if your not happy with it by law

Reverse Gear

Status

Had it 2 months :/ not looking good to me wear and tear could be on anything tho! Say if my door fell off.. Oh sorry air that's wear and tear on the hinges! Big scam on my eyes

1st Gear

Status
    You dont have 3 months warranty, you have 6 months compulsary warranty BY LAW, irrespective of whatever warranty they say they do or dont give

the car, although second hand, is sold by the dealership on the grounds that its fit for the purpose in which its being sold

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by T8DPR View Post

the car, although second hand, is sold by the dealership on the grounds that its fit for the purpose in which its being sold
    agreed if the car fails within a reasonable period or so I would argue it's not fit for purpose
    IceHanger
    2011 S3 8P 5DR Black edition,
    2013 TT TDi BE with lots of toys
    Previous Vehicles:
    Audi S4 B6 4DR Big fuel bill edition
    Audi TT TDi S-line Quattro
    Skoda Octavia 4x4 Turbo,
    Skoda Octavia VRS Estate,
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo,
    MGF VVC,
    Vauxhall Astra GSi,
    Alfa 33 Cloverleaf,
    Tons of Minis

Old-Boy-Racer
    It comes down to your consumer rights expectation that the dealer will provide you with goods which are of "merchantable quality".

The dealer should be reasonable about this - and so should you! What you can expect to be "reasonable" largely depends on how much you paid, and the age/mileage of the car. You couldn't expect a £3k 150,000 mile 8 yr old car to be as fault free as a £13k 30,000 mile 2 yr old one.

Normally a dealer should repair or refund during the first three months (independent of any aftermarket warranty) it is HIS responsibility. You are BOTH expected to be REASONABLE. Within reason almost anything that breaks or stops functioning during the three months means that component wasn't of "merchantable quality" and in law it is deemed that the part was already failing at the time of sale.

You have to give the dealer the opportunity to fix the problem. If they fail (or refuse) to fix it then you need to take legal action. Before doing so consider hard how reasonable your claim is!

On the older car I would expect the dealer to repair or refund if say the engine blew up, but possibly not if a window winder failed.

On the newer car, much lower miles, much higher price, I would expect almost anything to be fixed.

Hope that helps. Here's a couple of links to the Telegraph's Honest John which you will find informative.

Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John

What does the law and used car warranties mean? | Legal matters | Back Room Forum | Honest John