Bad day :[

Sid-84

Reaction score
To start with I own an A3 quattro tdi 140 55 plate.
Well after 2 weeks of phone calls,emails and tx msgs to the dealer i bought it from and 2 weeks of no car as its sat in the garage awaiting the go ahead for some warranty work (turbo and driveshaft gaiters) I had a phone call from the car dealer (taking into consideration that they sell aston martins porches and high end cars) saying that the 3 month warranty that they take out with RAC won't cover me as its classed as "wear and tear" of my car! They said thats because of its year and that ill have to pay for it myself!!i thought if I had 3 months warranty by law that if anything went wrong in that time that the dealer should be responsible? Do I have a leg to stand on or am I wasting my time going to trading standards etc etc?

I certainly would be trying everything I could to not pay,
Buying from a garage people don't do Rac checks because the garage is suppose to check out the car,
Got nothing to loose trading standards won't cost you anything,

Worst case scenario and you cant get the work done for free try and do a deal to pay half with the dealer,
Best of luck mate

To start with I own an A3 quattro tdi 140 55 plate.
Well after 2 weeks of phone calls,emails and tx msgs to the dealer i bought it from and 2 weeks of no car as its sat in the garage awaiting the go ahead for some warranty work (turbo and driveshaft gaiters) I had a phone call from the car dealer (taking into consideration that they sell aston martins porches and high end cars) saying that the 3 month warranty that they take out with RAC won't cover me as its classed as "wear and tear" of my car! They said thats because of its year and that ill have to pay for it myself!!i thought if I had 3 months warranty by law that if anything went wrong in that time that the dealer should be responsible? Do I have a leg to stand on or am I wasting my time going to trading standards etc etc?

Take it back and demand a refund, you have the right to do that by law

The trading standards read me the rights I have and I remember them mentioning general wear and tear so hopefully that isn't a loophole they can use :/ just wondering if anyone else has had any grief with warranty and dealers?

I don't think wear and tear comes into it it's more about if you are not happy with your purchase they have to refund.

ypu get 28days for a full refund if your not happy with it by law

Had it 2 months :/ not looking good to me wear and tear could be on anything tho! Say if my door fell off.. Oh sorry air that's wear and tear on the hinges! Big scam on my eyes

You dont have 3 months warranty, you have 6 months compulsary warranty BY LAW, irrespective of whatever warranty they say they do or dont give

the car, although second hand, is sold by the dealership on the grounds that its fit for the purpose in which its being sold

It comes down to your consumer rights expectation that the dealer will provide you with goods which are of "merchantable quality".

The dealer should be reasonable about this - and so should you! What you can expect to be "reasonable" largely depends on how much you paid, and the age/mileage of the car. You couldn't expect a £3k 150,000 mile 8 yr old car to be as fault free as a £13k 30,000 mile 2 yr old one.

Normally a dealer should repair or refund during the first three months (independent of any aftermarket warranty) it is HIS responsibility. You are BOTH expected to be REASONABLE. Within reason almost anything that breaks or stops functioning during the three months means that component wasn't of "merchantable quality" and in law it is deemed that the part was already failing at the time of sale.

You have to give the dealer the opportunity to fix the problem. If they fail (or refuse) to fix it then you need to take legal action. Before doing so consider hard how reasonable your claim is!

On the older car I would expect the dealer to repair or refund if say the engine blew up, but possibly not if a window winder failed.

On the newer car, much lower miles, much higher price, I would expect almost anything to be fixed.

Hope that helps. Here's a couple of links to the Telegraph's Honest John which you will find informative.

Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John

What does the law and used car warranties mean? | Legal matters | Back Room Forum | Honest John