Higher Mileage 8P A3 3.2 DSG issues

tmase

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase an 8P Sportback. I currently have my eye on a 2005 MY 3.2 Quattro with DSG. I've done a lot of reading about the pros and cons of DSG and have read some horror stories about Mechatronic failure at low mileages, particularly in TT models. It seems to me that earlier, 04-05 DSG units weren't that bad and that a few examples did fail which generated a lot of posts on various boards, and that many failures occurred at between 30,000 to 45,000 miles. I haven't come across really too many examples of DSG failures at higher mileages (60,000+ miles). I am looking at a higher mileage example (95,000 miles) so I am wondering that if the DSG performs fine, no slipping, juddering, or the more terminal flashing gear annunciator on the DIS, then the car might have a pretty solid unit that will, as Audi claim, last the life of the vehicle (135,000 miles or so). This is of course assuming that the 40k fluid changes have been completed. Am I far off the mark in assuming this? Or would you run a mile from something that's done this many miles?

Engine-wise, aside from rattly cam chain/tensioner issues is there anything else in particular I should be looking at? I'll be getting a scan done and have an mechanic look over the vehicle before parting with my hard earned!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome to the site.

Have a read up on stretched chains.

Yep, have been doing that as well. Think I am right in saying that the earlier cam chain links had a manufacturer's stamp on them that weakened them and caused them to stretch and in some cases break with the expected catastrophic and costly results. Was an issue until '07 or there abouts as far as I can determine, when the maker stopped stamping the links.

I like the sound of the DSG, and having owned a B6 A4 multitronic in the past it sounds like a much better unit, especially when coupled to the V6. Just don't want to let my heart rule my heart.

BTW I am in New Zealand, but this site seems to be the most comprehensive Audi A3 forum around. Lots of knowledge!

The vehicle in question:- Audi A3 3.2 V6 Quattro 2004 | Trade Me

Yep, maybe I should stop reading this stuff and just get a 2.0TFSI instead! The 3.2 does really appeal though I may have to hold out for one that has done a few less miles and spend a bit more!

but i love the 3.2 v6 engine sound track.
how do guys supercharge or turbocharge these engines and get away with these stretch issues?

My 3.2 is a DSG on about 110k. Still sweet as a nut. Last car was a mk4 R32 and I much prefer the DSG but that's personal opinion. I seem to recall they changed the 'make' of chain but can't remember at what year. Mine's a 2007 (57) so has gen 2 Haldex and newer coilpacks. There's no guarantees but if they've been serviced correctly you should be ok.

From what I have read the earlier cam chains were prone to stretching and breaking due to the fact the manufacturer stamped their name on the links which weakened them. As far as I know this practice was changed around 06 or 07, can't pin down a date, so later models shouldn't, touch wood, be susceptible to stretch.