sfg 2

onianbag

Reaction score
hi everyone,

don't really want to open up the 'old grille/new grille' debate again - but for anyone who's mind it crossed, here is an official response from audi:

Thank you for your e-mail dated 13 September 2005, regarding the front
> grill on your Audi A3.
>
> I have spoken to our parts department today to ask the possibilities of
> changing your current front grill to the current new single frame one.
>
> The parts department have advised that this would not be possible to retro
> fit to you vehicle. I hope this clarifies your query, however should you
> require any further assistance, please contact me on the telephone number
> below.

from my point of view, not sure if it's a ploy to drive sales of the new A3 (how hard can it be?!) anyway, a bit gutted. long live the old grille!!!!!!!!

Some one has done it some where in europe. Think they had to make some non-factory mods to the bumper mounts / crash bar / bonnet or something. It was posted on audi-sport.net, but for the life of me I can't find it

i found out about this at the parts dept at bexley audi,he was very helpfull,

its not only the grill thats different,
the bonnet,headlamps and obviously the bumper have all changed,

the bonnet and headlamps are not obvious at first untill you look at the new and old style together,where the bonnet meets the top of the bumper the lines are different.

[ QUOTE ]
LONG LIVE THE ORIGINAL GRILL!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's dead, move on.

personally i prefer the old type, its more in-keeping with the style of a small hatchback without giving it a long face.

I have never understood the point of a estate golf, and now the sportback and the golf plus. Surely if you want a bigger car, go for an a4 avant or a passat estate? On these bigger cars the new grille really suits (but not the cab /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I always think that these cars are cashing in on the either the kudos of the golf, or the image of the A3, and are a clever marketing ploy.

[ QUOTE ]
I have never understood the point of a estate golf, and now the sportback and the golf plus. Surely if you want a bigger car, go for an a4 avant or a passat estate?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the Sportback is it is not bigger (8cm is nothing). It is for people who like the A3 but want 5 drs rather than 3 since it is easier to carry kids and adults in the rear than the 3 dr due to access. It is not for people who want a bigger car than an A3, it is an A3 with 5 drs much the same as you get 3 and 5 dr Golfs and Focuses. The A4 Avant is in a completely different class to the Sportback in terms of size.

[ QUOTE ]
The point of the Sportback is it is not bigger (8cm is nothing). It is for people who like the A3 but want 5 drs rather than 3 since it is easier to carry kids and adults in the rear than the 3 dr due to access. It is not for people who want a bigger car than an A3, it is an A3 with 5 drs much the same as you get 3 and 5 dr Golfs and Focuses. The A4 Avant is in a completely different class to the Sportback in terms of size.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perfectly put. The above is precisely why I bought one.

As for the SFG debate, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. I'm a big fan - the SFG is one factor that drew me to the Sportback in the first place - but at the end of the day, it's just a design statement or corporate advertisement for Audi to draw attention to their product. And that's a ploy that has been around in cars for decades and will continue to.

You've agreed with me and I can confirm I agree with you Ben! The practicality, style and SFG were all great draws for me on the Sportback.

I was a bit dubious about how it would look on the new 3dr but having seen 2 in the last week (one red, one black), they looked great too!

It's doesn't look wrong I've seen many with the new grill and yerh it looks nice, I just prefer the old one... like you say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!