Brake system fault - Audi say no fault codes.

DeanTTaylor

Reaction score
Over the Christmas break I took my 2012 S3 on a bit of a road trip, I live in Canberra Australia and was heading up to the hunter valley on the central cost for Christmas / New Year break. The overall trip was about 500km each way.

On the 1st day, about 100km from Canberra I got an error on the DIS "Stability program fault" Then a few orange lights were lit, the ESP fault, the picture of a flat tyre, and the picture of a shock absorber, this was followed by they DIS showing "TPMS"

I pulled over, thought I might have a flat tyre, Everything seemed normal. When I got back in the car and started it, no faults were displayed.

Drove for another 200km, then the same thing happened again, I decided to keep driving with the warning lights on as I was driving through Sydney, I noticed that hill hold assist want working, got back out onto the motorway and after a while the DIS displayed another error "Brake System Fault" Now the ABS and the Brake fail light are on.

Pulled over, turned the car off and on again, problem goes away. Arrived at the hunter valley, spent a week holidaying. Did a few short drives up there, no faults came up, hill hold assist is working.

Anyway, holiday ends, driving home, after a few hundred km it skipped the ESP fault and went straight to "Brake System Fault", with the following lights lit, ESP fault, flat tyre, shock absorber, ABS and the Brake fail. The DIS displayed TPMS, Decided to just drive home with the lights on.

Back in Canberra, the car was booked in for a service in a week, drove around for that week with no errors.

I took the car in for a service to Audi centre Canberra, I explained the errors, they said they would check it out.

When I got the car back they said there was no faults logged and it was all working ok, he said sometimes a leaf or rock gets into the ABS sensor and can cause this.

So my question, could there really be no faults logged for this? Does his reason sound plausible? Seems strange considering the error has come up multiple times after a few hundred km, Has anyone had a similar problem on their A3/S3?

Here is a picture of the faults displayed.
Errors

Thanks

Dean.

Well check the abs sensors for any crap, but seems a bit far fetched imho, Ive seen mine clogged up with brake dust/crap & they have always been fine & worked no problem, so take with a very large pinch of salt lol.

Also how does a leaf or rock get into the sensor, its a sealed unit with just the connector plugged in iirc.

You may have a knackered ABS pump. With that many warning lights coming on, I'm gobsmacked that Audi say there are no fault codes stored. I have recently replaced an ABS pump on a BMW 320d. It was displaying all the lights that yours is now showing, including a fault with the TPMS. Repaired the pump with the repair kit the BMW dealer supply and all is fine.

Hi, I'm new to the audi sport forums, recently bought my first audi s3 8p 61 plate in November and have noticed the exact same fault as described above. Initially I get a warning that the automatic headlight range control is malfunctioning, this then occurs for 2-3 more times with increasing frequency (on the same journey) then all hell breaks loose, the rev counter and speedo dials start sweeping and the tyre pressure warning light, traction control light, and magnetic ride light come on on the dash and warnings flash up saying break failure. It doesn't happen too often maybe 3-4 times since November and all warning lights/faults lights disappear after shutting ignition off and re-starting. Just wondered if anyone found a cause/solution for this since last years post.

Hi, I'm new to the audi sport forums, recently bought my first audi s3 8p 61 plate in November and have noticed the exact same fault as described above. Initially I get a warning that the automatic headlight range control is malfunctioning, this then occurs for 2-3 more times with increasing frequency (on the same journey) then all hell breaks loose, the rev counter and speedo dials start sweeping and the tyre pressure warning light, traction control light, and magnetic ride light come on on the dash and warnings flash up saying break failure. It doesn't happen too often maybe 3-4 times since November and all warning lights/faults lights disappear after shutting ignition off and re-starting. Just wondered if anyone found a cause/solution for this since last years post.
Where did u buy it from, dealer? If so take it back and demand they sort the faults out!

Where did u buy it from, dealer? If so take it back and demand they sort the faults out!
It's not from an Audi dealer, got it from 'mercedes part exchange' in exeter which is 3 hours drive away from where we live. I'm not sure they will be willing to look at it as they probably never encountered the problem during the time they had it sat on their forecourt (they will spin the tale that its a new fault), i've driven it just under 2,000 miles since purchase and its only occured 3-4 times but what concerns me is that even when 'DeanTTaylor' (above) took it to the audi centre they could find no cause for the problems.

Ive had a few 60 plate A3s do this and its been one of the rear hub/bear *** the pick up ring corrodes and cracks, making the air gap to small and that throws the light on