Which Tyre Dressing?

cdb2

Reaction score
What are you guys using as a tyre dressing at the moment?

I use megs for everything else but have been using up an old bottle of someone else's tyre gel.

Should I go for Megs Hot Shine Tyre Dressing (Spray) or Megs Endurance High Gloss Tyre Protection Gel?

Which looks best\lasts the best?

The stuff I use at the mo is a gel but tens to sling off onto the car bodywork - perhaps I put too much on and should apply with a paint brush rather than an old sock!

Do you guys leave it on or buff?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I apply my endurance high gloss with a megs foam applicator pad. I put a thumbnail sized blob on the pad and apply to an area, rubbing it into all the grooves and raised lettering. Takes me about 3-4 thumbnail sized blobs to do the whole tyre x 4 tyres obviously!

I don't buff because I like a decent gloss. I've never had sling but I can't really say much about how long it lasts because A. I don't do much mileage and B. believe it or not it hasn't rained here on the east coast of Ireland much in the last 6 weeks, but I can say in dry weather with my low mileage the gloss for me lasted for about 2-3 weeks and then another 2-3 weeks or so of low gloss but still jet black brand new tyre look and then I was washing the car again anyway and re-applied yesterday.(my second ever application)

I use the professional stuff... Autoglym do it for the motor trade, you might get it in a motor factors.

It goes on with a brush and lasts about a week once it doesn't rain but it looks the best I think.

If you've ever had your car valeted they would have used it.

Ditto, same as calibos. Never had the stuff spin off onto bodywork. I tend to dress tyres every other wash, so every 2 weeks.

Meg's Tyre Gel.

Lasts about 2+ weeks depending on weather conditions..

Autogym is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif.. no offence.. wouldn't use it if you paid me..

i do the whole tyre wall with several coats and also one coat upto the first groove on the actual tyre so that it looks like the whole tyre is new.. leave for 2 hours and then move the car forward to get the bits i was unable to get before..

ive been doing the show scene for 2 years now (i know it might be a long time compared to a few of you out there) but ive tried all sorts and rate meg's as one of the best for money and finished results.

[ QUOTE ]

Autogym is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif.. no offence.. wouldn't use it if you paid me..

[/ QUOTE ]

Well every stealer and valet company must have it wrong then because although the name of the tin might change, it's all the same tyre/rubber dressing...

[ QUOTE ]
Well every stealer and valet company must have it wrong then because although the name of the tin might change, it's all the same tyre/rubber dressing...

[/ QUOTE ]

err is it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

err is it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it goes on with a brush, does the same job and 9 times out of 10, smells the same so I'd say yes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sorry but I use Autoglym on my tyre walls it just makes the water site on them nice when wet and look black (not grey) when dry. At the end of the day it's only your tyres I wouldn't use anything less the Meguires on my paint work!

Just once you all know I'm not talking about the Autoglym you can buy in a white bottle which you can buy in Halfords...!!

Megs Endurance High Gloss Tyre Protection Gel, smells good too, lol, last long time and looks great

[ QUOTE ]
Well it goes on with a brush, does the same job and 9 times out of 10, smells the same so I'd say yes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well mine came in a tin, smelt nice and washed of the second it rained. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and washed of the second it rained. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they not all do that?

mark N i know the pro stuff usually comes in a large plastic container obvious your buying in bulk..

but personally the autoglym stuff tends to not stay on as long as required.. which is no use to me and i assume for everyone else..

just looks like it drys and gives a dull finish..

nothing near the type of finish as i require..

I use Turtle Wax Wet n Black. It was on offer in Halfords! It works well enough, although I use a small cloth to spread it evenly.

Doesn't last all that long - might have a look at Megs Endurance High Gloss Tyre Protection Gel though, sounds interesting.

I have two bottles of this Turtle Wax Wet n Black and think it is awful! It works well on the tyre but also attracts brake crap all over the alloys, I have tried Autoglym and several others, the best I have found is a giant can that you can but from Wilkos for about £3 and last about two weeks!

got some car plan tyre slik from costco and thats ok,just spray on,job done,i got fed up with all the other ones,took to long to apply and leave bits on the side of the car.

have tried a few in the past and the megs High gloss IMHO is the best and last a gud while too, ie more than two weeks! key is to put a dop on at each quarter of the tyre and use a micro fibre cloth and rub in well, works for me

[ QUOTE ]
I have two bottles of this Turtle Wax Wet n Black and think it is awful! It works well on the tyre but also attracts brake crap all over the alloys, I have tried Autoglym and several others, the best I have found is a giant can that you can but from Wilkos for about £3 and last about two weeks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Try wiping your alloy after you've sprayed Turtle Wax all over the place...!!

G E T A L I F E!!!

For £ucks sake guys are you all unemployed and have all week to spend on your cars?

Don't get me wrong, we spent the money it's worth looking after, but that means a couple of hours every other, or at worst, every week.

New survey required, how many hours a week do you spend cleaning your car?

[ QUOTE ]
I have two bottles of this Turtle Wax Wet n Black and think it is awful! It works well on the tyre but also attracts brake crap all over the alloys

[/ QUOTE ]
That's interesting. I've noticed how quickly the wheels get dirty as well after applying it.