Hidden plastic key... Is this true?

grr666

Reaction score
Here's one for those of you who have dismantled a few Audi dashboards
in your time. Is there really a hidden plastic key somewhere behind the
dash. It was mentioned in a thread about car thefts in Aberdeen on another
forum I use.
It was mentioned that there was a 3rd plastic key on BMWs and Audis in
particular that can be used to start the car.
If it is true, then how in gods name did anybody think that could be a good idea.
And where can I find it so I can remove it?

I think it's just the new A4's, A5's and Q5's that have plastic emergency 'keys'. They're kept in the glovebox.

Sounds like a stupid idea to me, surely your insurance company wouldn't be overly cheerful about it either.

The plastic key on its own will not work.

It is an emergency key if your if keyless fob fails. You can remove a metal "key-like" bit from the fob, insert into the "plastic key" secured within the glovebox and use this to start the car - this is only for cars where you push the fob into the dash.

My TT came with a 3rd plastic key which lived in my wallet, only designed to be used for opening the door to retrieve locked in keys as it will set alarm off from what I remember. No chance of starting the car though no chip in it unless there's a on/off open door stick your leg out routine to do it!

we're talking about the "plastic key" stored within the glove box which in fact looks like a key fob for cars that start by pushing your fob into the dash - I know this is A4 because I had one, but others models do as well

It seems some people though this was a normal "plastic" key -or the 3rd spare key supplied by the dealer- which on its own could start the car when in fact it cannot without a vital part removed from the original fob and inserted inside the plastic emergency fob, when the original fails. Designed to get you to the dealer to sort out the fault.

Reactions: IceHanger