2.0 TDI Quattro 288mm to 312mm discs help needed.

Mgf4lfc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked many times before and having researched it I am of the understanding that all that is needed for the mod is the bigger discs and bigger caliper carriers.

However after buying a set of 312mm discs and new ceramic pads, I bought a pair of 312mm spec caliper carriers on eBay and they are the right height to accommodate the bigger disc and to bolt to the caliper but the bolt holes are in the wrong place for mounting it to the stub.

So what I'm asking is, 1) what vehicles have the caliper carrier that I need fitted and 2) anyone have any part numbers that may be of use.

Thanks for your help

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Any pics of the car? Where are you located? Enjoy the forum. :) x

if yours is a Quattro you my need Quattro carriers but not sure.

I thought that the front discs were already 312's? Mine where the same as a Golf GTI as I sold them to a mate who wanted now ones when I udgraded to an S3 setup and they fit straight on.

You have the 170 Quattro?

No there are 280, 288, 312 & 345 front disc sizes & I've seen this before tbh, you'd need to change the bearing housing clamp part, just grab a vin or plate of someone who has 312's & get part number of there original factory spec.

Sandra - hi I'm from Surrey, I'll post some pics once I am on my. PCDaggerit - it's a 140 Quattro and was/is fitted with 288mm at the front and solid discs ant the back. NHN - so does the baring housing clamp differ for 288 and 312 discs was hoping I just needed a taller caliper carrier. Are the caliper carriers different for the 8L? Wondering if that's why the ones I got of eBay are different to mine. Please excuse the formatting I'm doing this on my iPad :)

I've never heard of a 140 quattro! Haha, that'll be why I was confused by the brake size. I thought that the diesel quattro cars were only availible with the 170 engine and therefore the 312mm brakes, sorry. :)

this is a picture of the caliper carrier i bought off ebay. can anyone identify what its designed to fit???
IMG 54321

There should be a part number on it somewhere, it should be in the format XXX-XXX-XXX X (the last 'X' is usually a letter if its included).

Ye just wing us the part number, may need to rub it down a little to find it, but that would allow us to check which cars it fits.

Right i finally got a pair of caliper carriers that fit and worked out that the original pair i bought were for a 8L chassis after comparing them with a mates S3, so my mistake on that one.

Heres a couple of pics of the old 288mm brakes and the new 312mm grooved discs with EBC redstuff cermaic pads fitted.

I'm going to paint the calipers red once the weather is a bit better.

IMG 5606
IMG 5599