A3 droning noise at speed

bonerp

Reaction score
Hi I've just bought an A3 20 TDI SE sTronic 2008 with 58k on it.

On driving back yesterday from buying, there is a pronounced droning sound coming from the front at dual carriageway / motorway speed.

However it didnt do it today on the M4! grrr I hate issues like this.

Does the A3 suffer with cheapo tyres or is it likely to be a bearing? Don't seem to do it on roundabouts or round corners or at normal driving speeds around town.

Help appreciated.

Swap wheels side to side unless rotational & then swap front to back, see if noise moves when comes back.

Bearings has been a known issue on the 8P at times.

Had this issue, replaced tyres and noise still there, replaced bearings noise gone.

How did you get on mate any joy swapping the wheels around?, my cars just started to develop this issue after a low speed impact with a kerb due too the ice and some divvy just pulling right out in front of me, anyway took it too the garage and got the tracking done wich was well out (obviously due too the impact) and the noise is still there, I was thinking it might be the balancing out but do you guys think that could cause a droning sound?, or have I just damaged the bearings?

Check wheel for buckles aswell.

I normally getting a droning noise at speed too, it's my girlfriend going on at me! In fact I seem to get it in the car all the time lol

Check wheel for buckles aswell.
i checked the wheel front and back and no obvious signs of buckles, will the balancing machine pick up any slight dents/buckles that I may have missed?

I normally getting a droning noise at speed too, it's my girlfriend going on at me! In fact I seem to get it in the car all the time lol
yea I know have you mean there lol, I get that droning noise too but I've had that one in every car I've had in the last 5 years lol, this droning noise has just started ;)

Needs putting on balancing tbh to be 100% sure, but could have damaged an arm, wishbone etc.

Right ill go too the garage tomorrow get the wheels balanced and check for any buckles then see how that goes, hopefully that solves the droning issue, thanks for the advice nige.

mines doing the same should i get the hub dun as well or just the bearing ?

Just done mine yesterday, on the 8p the bearing and hub are one piece mate straight swap.

I suspect my OSF wheel has this issue.
It's noticeable when taking a left bend at motorway speeds
even on freshly laid perfectly smooth tarmac. It feels like a
rumble strip (but toned right down) and I can feel vibration
through the pedals. No noise or vibration on the straight but when
theres a load on that wheel as the road bends left I can feel it.
I also suspect it may be the tyre, so if I swap sides and the noise moves
to the NSF then it's safe to assume the tyre is iffy. (PS3s BTW)

What sort of prices have you guys paid to fix this, my indy has said
it will cost me approx £200 to supply and fit bearing.

This happeend to my car a while back, got the Rear bearings changed and voila noise went! Only problem is now the frint has been making the same noise! Just wondering is it that hard to change the Front Bearings? might give it a bash!

at over 2000 revs, theres a band which gives an old style star trek "warp speed " sound.
its at the same revs, regardless of the gear or speed, so im leaning towards it being exhaust resonance

Mine cost £400 but that was for a new coolant expansion tank too, done by Audi Swindon. I'll have a look for the receipt later and let you know the cost.