Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mjr901
  • 1 Post By grr666
  • 1 Post By mjr901

Thread: Tips and hints wanted on possible purchase.

Reverse Gear

Status

Tips and hints wanted on possible purchase.

I am currently thinking of buying an 06 plate A3, 2.0 TDI sport (170bhp) or an 06 plate A3 3.2 Quattro. I have just had my current car written off by my insurance company because of storm damage (flood) and am swaying towards an Audi.

Any tips or hints on what too look or possible known problems would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    3.2 = camchain stretch

2.0 TDI = turbo whine, injector problems and starter motor when hot problems.
    npgfunky likes this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    3.2 = camchain stretch

2.0 TDI = turbo whine, injector problems and starter motor when hot problems.
    Is the injector problem an expensive fix? Sorry I am totally non mechanical. Just like to drive the car.

1st Gear

Status
    Spec is everything on used Audis in my opinion.
    Look for one with as many factory options as possible.
    npgfunky likes this.
    2009 S3 3 door. Phantom Black metallic.
    RNS-E, Tints, Piano Black inlays, Auto Lights and Wipers, Bluetooth, MFBSW,
    White Alcantara, LED numberplate lights, Black Optic Grille, Yellow Foglamps,
    K&N panelfilter, Colourmatched mirrors, S3 footplate,
    More to come....

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by npgfunky View Post
    Is the injector problem an expensive fix? Sorry I am totally non mechanical. Just like to drive the car.
    Injectors can be yes, there was a recall out, not sure if it was just the 140TDI's or if it affected the 170's too.

You'll know if one is buggered as it will run really rough on idle.

The A3 3.2 is a nice car, but if I'm completely honest, the VW R32 is the better option here (same engine, same chassis - different body), often spec'd better and it looks better with the bodykit etc and can be cheaper.

Early ones have the cheaper tax bracket, later ones, you'll be paying £400 odd quid.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,

Reverse Gear

Status
    Injectors can be yes, there was a recall out, not sure if it was just the 140TDI's or if it affected the 170's too.

You'll know if one is buggered as it will run really rough on idle.

The A3 3.2 is a nice car, but if I'm completely honest, the VW R32 is the better option here (same engine, same chassis - different body), often spec'd better and it looks better with the bodykit etc and can be cheaper.

Early ones have the cheaper tax bracket, later ones, you'll be paying £400 odd quid.
    I hate VW's, yeah I know they are an Audi in disguise but I just can't bring myself to have one.
    The tax will be the same as what I have paid on the write off £475, so that won't be a shock. Is there a way of checking if the 2.0tdi has been recalled? Service book, as it has full Audi service history.

Status
    I hate VW's, yeah I know they are an Audi in disguise but I just can't bring myself to have one.
    The tax will be the same as what I have paid on the write off £475, so that won't be a shock. Is there a way of checking if the 2.0tdi has been recalled? Service book, as it has full Audi service history.
    Easiest way i should think is to ring the dealer and see if there are any outstanding recalls. If not, They've been done.
    npgfunky likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Easiest way i should think is to ring the dealer and see if there are any outstanding recalls. If not, They've been done.
    I'll give Audi a call tomorrow morning to check before I make any decision, although I would assume they would have to change them if it hadn't been done under a recall anyway.

Status
    I'll give Audi a call tomorrow morning to check before I make any decision, although I would assume they would have to change them if it hadn't been done under a recall anyway.
    Yes, although change isn't always good, there have been quite a few people who undertook this recall work and resulted in rough idle.

Example : 2.0 TDI (BNM) engine sounding rough AFTER injector swap.

And it was the 170's with the injector problems!

4th Gear

Status

Tips and hints wanted on possible purchase.

Yep 170's have the injector recall, it's fully covered by Audi UK, you can also call them to check whether its already been done or not.

That's my experience above on the link, I should really update it a bit more as the original dealer were cowboys & the 2nd dealer have been nothing short of bloody fantastic.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....