DSG Gearbox replaced at 60k miles...

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
Hi all,

Went to view an A3 for the Mrs today and all seemed well apart from the fact that the DSG Gearbox had been replaced at 60k miles. The salesman seemed to think of it as a plus point, the fact that it wouldn't need one anytime soon, but I can't help but think of it as a negative... the box shouldn't be failing at 60k!

My question is a simple one; should I be worried that the box has been replaced at 60k?

Test drove the car and drove like a dream, apart from an EGR fault (which we were assured would be sorted if we were to buy).

Thanks!

I don't know if it's just my psychology, but I wouldn't want it purely because of that salesman bull**** he spouted lol :w00t:

on a more serious note, how much warranty is in it? I've had plenty of cars with warranty work that were a-okay, so assuming everything else looks/feels right and you have a good long warranty...

I would be dubious by the DSG replacement alone! How do you know the gearbox is actually new & not secondhand? receipts? who carried out the work? ect. ...and if the EGR is such an easy fix you'd think they'd have cured it before releasing the car for test drives, it makes it seem that it may be a recurring fault with deeper roots than they're letting on?

Have them fix the fault first, then take it for another blast to see if it comes back on IMO.

Mine failed at 32K pal. Audi replaced it for nothing even though it was out of warranty. Have since replaced the car for a manual as more fun in my opinion.

The one you've got in it will come with a fairly decent warranty on it's own. Probably another 4-5 years.

Is it an Audi Dealer?

I wouldn't buy a car with the egr light showing on test drive - that's just a rubbish garage, and if they even bother to fix it, I'd bet it'll be back - as someone else said, if they can't be bothered to fix it now.......
I've fallen for that too many times in the past.

Depends if its the gearbox or the mechatronics thats been replaced, if its the latter, thats a very good thing.

Thanks for the input guys.

It was the gearbox, not the mechatronic unit that was replaced.

I must also agree with the fact that the EGR fault may have been there a while.. Bit of a shame it wasnt time stamped in the VCDS logs.

It isnt an Audi garage, just an independant garage that I assume will provide 3 months warranty.

We're waiting for a call back tomorrow so if everything goes as planned I may take a second look and look further into the EGR fault..