Buying my first A3

JAW9

Reaction score
Hi lads and lasses - just come across this forum tonight and it looks superb, reckon I'll end up spending many hours on here!

Reason for the thread is I'm basically looking at buying my first A3 and was wondering if anyone could provide me with a bit of advice. I've found a 2007 5dr 2.0 TDi 170 Bhp Sportback with 68k miles on the clock for roughly £8.5k. It's a beautiful looking thing and I'm desperate to buy it but I'm not sure if £8.5k would be too much, can anyone point me in the right direction of what it's worth/what I should be looking at paying for one? It's only my second car so don't have a great deal of experience in this department so any advice would be a major help! I can post more info on this specific car too if that would help.

PS - Sorry for the new thread admin/mods but didn't want to hijack anyone else's - if this should have gone somewhere else feel free to move. :sm4:

hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? Have a read at the faqs threads at the top of the page for lots of useful info. The guys will be along shortly. Enjoy the forum. :) x

If it's an s-line then that's about right assuming it's got full service history with the cambelt done and it's in good condition.

hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? Have a read at the faqs threads at the top of the page for lots of useful info. The guys will be along shortly. Enjoy the forum. :) x

I'm from Hull. Had a quick look before posting, looks really useful indeed! Thanks. :)

As far as I can tell it's only a Sport, can try and do some more digging though but I haven't seen anything to suggest it isn't. Will try and throw a couple of pics on soon too.

A31A32A33A34

Not sure about the alloys. Has it got any extras? Leather, BOSE, RNS-e, parking sensors?

I'm from Hull. Had a quick look before posting, looks really useful indeed! Thanks. :)

if your interested in local meets/events just click the link below and add yourself onto the members list in your area and browse the posts for any upcoming meets. Enjoy.:) x

Smaller (Local) Events

It's not an s-line, it hasn't got the rear spoiler. Not sure it's worth 8.5k mate. Has it been looked after properly - Service History and good condition?

Looks like you are buying it from a dealer so maybe some warranty is included, hence the price?

Not sure about the alloys. Has it got any extras? Leather, BOSE, RNS-e, parking sensors?

This is how the blurb describes it:

Metallic black, 18" upgrade 5 spoke twin blade, Audi Concert sound system, Tinted glass, Powerfold mirrors, Upgrade S line gear knob, Rear park sensors, Xenons and headlamp washers, Standard Extras :- Driver/front passenger airbag, Electric front+rear windows, Front fog lights, Front sports seats, Sports suspension, Space saver spare wheel, Service interval indicator, Body colour bumpers, Front side airbags, ABS/EBD, 3 point seatbelts on all seats, EDL, Active front headrests, Isofix child seat preparation, Dampened grab handles, Split folding rear seat, ESP with ASR, Remote control central locking, Thatcham category 1 alarm+immobiliser

if your interested in local meets/events just click the link below and add yourself onto the members list in your area and browse the posts for any upcoming meets. Enjoy.:) x

Smaller (Local) Events

Thanks Sandra, it's something I'll definitely keep an eye out for if I end up buying an A3!

It's not an s-line, it hasn't got the rear spoiler. Not sure it's worth 8.5k mate. Has it been looked after properly - Service History and good condition?

Looks like you are buying it from a dealer so maybe some warranty is included, hence the price?

This is my current gut feeling too. It has service history (may not be full, will check when I go for a second viewing tomorrow) but it does look to be in good condition. There's no exterior damage from what I can see, pretty immaculate in fact. There's a little bit of wear and tear inside but I can accept that for a car that's pushing 6-years-old.

Yeah it's from a dealer mate, I don't think warranty is included though. There's scope to knock the price down with them I reckon, I'm just trying to establish how much I'd need to knock-off to make it feel like I was paying an acceptable price though.

Get onto Autotrader and compare models with the SE model which that one is likely to be. I think you'll find it's probably 1K maybe 1.5K over priced going by what you've said.

Don't let the alloys and tinted windows pull you in. You can do that yourself very easily.

Get onto Autotrader and compare models with the SE model which that one is likely to be. I think you'll find it's probably 1K maybe 1.5K over priced going by what you've said.

Don't let the alloys and tinted windows pull you in. You can do that yourself very easily.

Thanks for the advice mate. I've been looking for a while but this is the first one I've found like that (2.0, 170 Bhp). I'll have a look around and see what I can compare it to.

ooops, just noticed it's a CAT D so that's why it's a bit cheaper.

Interesting. I always thought the Facelift model came out with the reg change at 58. Not seen one on an 08 plate before. I could be wrong as there maybe a few knocking around on an 08 plate. Someone else would need to confirm. It could be that someone converted it themselves.

Other than that, you now see that the first one you've picked is quite expensive in comparison.

Interesting. I always thought the Facelift model came out with the reg change at 58. Not seen one on an 08 plate before. I could be wrong as there maybe a few knocking around on an 08 plate. Someone else would need to confirm. It could be that someone converted it themselves.

Other than that, you now see that the first one you've picked is quite expensive in comparison.

Ha, just a little! There did seem to be a few overpriced cars in there which did set the alarm bells ringing.

Just looking at that red one again, this seems too cheap to me now. The mileage is quite high for its age (but not excesive) but 8.5K for a facelift S-Line? Be interested to see what others on here think about it...

Does seem very cheap, can't weigh it up...

I paid 6k for my 57 plate 170 sport, full service, cam belt and new turbo, though it did have 104k on it, spotless though pleased as punch so far, I'm not sure an s-lines worth holding out for tbh, but I'm sure others will disagree :yes:

I paid 6k for my 57 plate 170 sport, full service, cam belt and new turbo, though it did have 104k on it, spotless though pleased as punch so far, I'm not sure an s-lines worth holding out for tbh, but I'm sure others will disagree :yes:

Good price. I'm not too fussed really, S-line, SE or Sport would be fine.

Last edited: