AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

A3 Sport TDI 56 Plate more comfortable suspension?

Is there any aftermarket suspension available for the A3 Sport (17" wheels, 06 plate) that will produce a more comfortable ride? I have had the car 1 year now and honestly at the point of selling it as it niggles my back. Already changed drivers seat to Recaro Ergomed which has helped. My old Mk4 GTI TDI golf with 18's was more comfortable (very soft/rolly suspension set-up mind you).

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah I have the Koni FSD shocks along with some Eibach Pro's, works a treat, no more bouncy castle, but the electric lumbar works a treat on the standard A3 seats.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Yeah I have the Koni FSD shocks along with some Eibach Pro's, works a treat, no more bouncy castle, but the electric lumbar works a treat on the standard A3 seats.
    I'll take a read up, its the potholes on the roads that get me, does this set-up ride the potholes considerably better?
    I live in the city so many are completely unavoidable as there is more pothole than road in some places.

Cheers.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Its ok for me, but potholes are another ballgame mate, with any suspension its pot luck, scuse the pun, but I think it rides allot better than my previous stock sport suspension.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks, yeh its a hard one, could try them at cost, it may be a lot better, it may not, maybe just the car/driving position just doesn't suit me. Equally buying another car is just as much of a gamble, its only after a few weeks driving you can really tell. Maybe I'll just need to admit I'm getting old and buy a "comfy" car!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I've driven on stock seats with & without electric lumbar & it made a very noticeable difference tbh mate, iirc WarrenS3 had the same experience as he mentioned he had a slight back problem which was helped by the electric lumbar, iirc.

1st Gear

Status
    You're probably not aware but the Recaro Ergomed seat I fitted has electric everything including lumbar. This did give a good deal of improvement; it does however sit a bit low IMO (when raised to max) and that could still be contributing a bit. I may look at raising it up a bit but it already rubs the stupid plastic bits next to ashtray and it might not physically fit 1" or so higher. Do you know what OEM seats have electric lumbar that I may be able to pick up on 2nd hand/ on ebay?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well numerous ones have lumbar, the ones with electrics have a 4 way button on the sides with indented round finger press areas on the NESW positions.

2nd Gear

Status
    I wondered about fitting the 16" Wheels to mine - coming out of a Jag XJ, it seemed as if Audi had forgotten to fit any suspension at all - although my non-heated, non electric fabric seats actually fit me better than the heated leather 16-way memory electric ones in my old Jag. My theory about the wheels is that the tyres are higher profile so might have more "give".

1st Gear

Status
    NHN
    Cheers, I think I'll start emailing the newer A3s being broken on ebay.

JohnE
    It'll be a bit better; its only 1 size down so don't think it'll sort my back. I did go from 16s to 18s on my golf; it was bumpier but it never made my back sorer. 16s and Koni FSDs might actually make enough of a difference. Are there any decent looking OEM 16s for the A3?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    I have been reading around and I am now giving this some serious thought. Do you know how much my car will be lowered (Sport suspension) with the FSD/Eibach Pro combo? I have to park on the pavement quite a lot so can't go too low. Seen a few people say the springs lower the S Line 5mm.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Its not a low rider spring mate, it does drop very nicely & is perfectly fine for pavement parking

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers, good to know. Pricey mind you!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Cheaper than coilovers lol.