RNS-E retrofit GPS unit placement

Acheron

Reaction score
Removed my RNS replica unit tonight and fitted the OEM "G" revision unit.

Now I've yet to fiddle with any VCDS coding yet (still sifting through what needs to be done) but for the moment I'm more concerned about where the GPS antenna unit should go. It's got a hell of a length of wire attached and has a magnetic backing so the possibilities are endless.

Where have you lot that have retrofitted put yours for decent reception?

Stick it to the left of passenger air vent against inside of dash with 3-4 layers of double sided sticky foam tape, best place to fit for sure.

Stick it to the left of passenger air vent against inside of dash with 3-4 layers of double sided sticky foam tape, best place to fit for sure.

Cheers, I'll do that!

Oddly enough the car has a sharkfin aerial and I was under the impression it would take care of GPS reception. Can't see any evidence of a connector in the dash though.

Nope, sharkfin fitted doesnt denote it has gps, you can remove roof trim above parcel shelf & look for the unused gps connector & run extension cable, but it may be the basic version just for phone.

There are 3 functions of sharkfins iirc, phone, gps & aux heater, not all are on all sharkfins fitted, I believe they are fitted with all if replaced for faulty, but most arent from factory unless nav spec'd.

Nope, sharkfin fitted doesnt denote it has gps, you can remove roof trim above parcel shelf & look for the unused gps connector & run extension cable, but it may be the basic version just for phone.

There are 3 functions of sharkfins iirc, phone, gps & aux heater, not all are on all sharkfins fitted, I believe they are fitted with all if replaced for faulty, but most arent from factory unless nav spec'd.
That would explain it then...car has phone prep :)