Diagnostic Scanner??

OVRA3

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was thinking about buying a cheap diagnostic scanner just so I know all is running well. My question is do the cheap versions ie non vag com still pick up every fault code? I don't need to access the car as if something was wrong I'd go to my Indy put for piece of mind would scanning on a cheap device still pick up everything vag com does?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks all :)

TBH mate, I would personally go for VCDS, as if you do find a fault code it may easily be cleared and saves you the £40 the Indy would charge you to clear it.

The use of VCDS is endless, plus you could also earn beer tokens from other vag owners who want scanning or simply want coding done, so in time you would earn that money back spent on the cable easy, and then some :)

I've got VCDS, but also bought a Mini ELM327 Bluetooth V1.5 OBD2 OBDII Auto Diagnostic Scanner off eBAy to work with Android Torque app. The app works great with android phone gives all sorts or real time data including 'gauge' info, like RMP, Boost pressures, volts, oil pressure plus mauch much more.

ELM327 can flag up various faults, but for better fault code access, like Dannykn9 says, get yourself VCDS.

I was a bit reluctant to buy VCDS at first, but it really is worth the money. I've done loads of little bits on my car and found loads of faults I didn't even know I had.

If you are just wanting a one of scan however, put a thread up on here. I'm sure someone with VCDS will help you out.

Another recommendation for buying the genuine VCDS from NHN here too.

It may seem like an expense to start with, but in my case its helped me to get well over £8k worth of warranty work done by Audi UK that had tried to deny needed doing. Add to that all the extra tweaking it allows you to do + the peace of mind knowing you don't have to rely on anyone else to guess at what is happening with your car, its priceless.

I have one of the 'cheaper' scanning units, an Autel VAG405.
Autel Vag405 Vw Audi Scanner Code Reader Vag 405 Obd2 [vag405 obd2] - �44.74 : Auto Parts Lights
It reads and clears fault codes on my A3 and my friends A4 also. It goes into most systems of VW/Audi cars, steering, brakes, central electrics, radio/nav etc. I keep it in the boot for peace of mind, if Im ever out and about and something happens, I can plug it in straight away. Its also good to give it a scan every few months.
Also used it on a friends Honda Civic which using OBD II found an engine fault code.

I have not purchased the full VCDS and dont intend to. In my experience, if you take your car to a dealer with a fault, they will want to scan it (and charge you) themselves anyway to confirm the fault before fixing it.
I can see why it is so popular though, and if I tinkered alot with my car and had the spare time to learn about it all, I would probably purchase it too.

Last edited:
I have one of the 'cheaper' scanning units, an Autel VAG405.
Autel Vag405 Vw Audi Scanner Code Reader Vag 405 Obd2 [vag405 obd2] - �44.74 : Auto Parts Lights
It reads and clears fault codes on my A3 and my friends A4 also. It goes into most systems of VW/Audi cars, steering, brakes, central electrics, radio/nav etc. I keep it in the boot for peace of mind, if Im ever out and about and something happens, I can plug it in straight away. Its also good to give it a scan every few months.
Also used it on a friends Honda Civic which using OBD II found an engine fault code.

I have not purchased the full VCDS and dont intend to. In my experience, if you take your car to a dealer with a fault, they will want to scan it (and charge you) themselves anyway to confirm the fault before fixing it.
I can see why it is so popular though, and if I tinkered alot with my car and had the spare time to learn about it all, I would probably purchase it too.

Thats kind of my thoughts exactly, no disrespect to any of the guys on here with VCDS but they all seem quite technically minded and are able to code and do mods etc.. Changing a bulb is about the extent of my abilities, I wont tell you about my experience with painting the brake calipers, nearly cost me a lot more than a pot of paint... thats another story!

Also at the moment I am due a service soon MOT and just paid for my remap so think the Mrs (who is pregnant) would lop my balls off if I spend anymore money on the car (might not be a bad idea this is our 3rd child) So was just wondering if it was worth buying a cheapy just for piece of mind and whether they can pick up all fault codes.

Thanks for all your help though peeeeeepppppsss

Another +1 for VCDS - NHN sorted me out and as I have a revo remap I needed this to check boost, timings etc. I also found out that my car originally had a CD Changer from scanning it but this is nowhere to be seen.

Oh and the main dealer cost of diagnostic is simply ridiculous when you realise they do it in 5 mins

Thats kind of my thoughts exactly, no disrespect to any of the guys on here with VCDS but they all seem quite technically minded and are able to code and do mods etc.. Changing a bulb is about the extent of my abilities, I wont tell you about my experience with painting the brake calipers, nearly cost me a lot more than a pot of paint... thats another story!

Also at the moment I am due a service soon MOT and just paid for my remap so think the Mrs (who is pregnant) would lop my balls off if I spend anymore money on the car (might not be a bad idea this is our 3rd child) So was just wondering if it was worth buying a cheapy just for piece of mind and whether they can pick up all fault codes.

Thanks for all your help though peeeeeepppppsss

Trust me, it's not that difficult to get to grips with. I've not got a clue about coding but I've managed to do a few simple things including scanning the whole car and clear faults which literally takes about 5 clicks to do.

Pretty sure I saw a VCDS cable for sale on here the other day for £100 or something. Not sure if it was in the classifieds or the for sale thread at the top of this 8P section. Treat yourself! :rock:

Reactions: OVRA3
For your needs, I would fully reccomend an Autel VAG405 then. It will scan and clear a whole array of fault codes on all of the cars different systems. For £45 I think its a bargain :rock:

Ive got the Autel405 scanner, which i used for years for scanning and its basic but gives faults and codes and reset lights and scans perfect for DIYer.

I then bought VCDS and its worth every bit of it. Still have the Autel scanner and its handy to have in car all time for handy quick jobs.

Id say start off with autel405 scanner and if after a year you want more get VCDS. I didnt have a clue about coding etc at start but ive coded alarm beep, removed settings and added features on my car and other friends cars etc. Ross Tech Website is great for help and google is your friend.

You can get you tube guides to help also with vcds...

VAG405 OBD2 CAN FAULT CODE READER/SCANNER VW GOLF,UK SELLER - AUTEL ITEM | eBay

Reactions: OVRA3
Can I be honest I got all paranoid today and paid 20 quid for my Indy to scan it on vcds.. No fault codes... Which is great so think I may go for the cheap scanner as my Indy only charges 20 quid for a full vcds scan and its 5 mins from my house. Cheers guys :)

I've got VCDS, but also bought a Mini ELM327 Bluetooth V1.5 OBD2 OBDII Auto Diagnostic Scanner off eBAy to work with Android Torque app. The app works great with android phone gives all sorts or real time data including 'gauge' info, like RMP, Boost pressures, volts, oil pressure plus mauch much more.

ELM327 can flag up various faults, but for better fault code access, like Dannykn9 says, get yourself VCDS.

like the look of that, ive a VCDS cable from Nigel (who else) and its great, but this lil puppy is funky, will impress one of my mates for sure :icon_thumright: