cambelt change due soon........came across this.............2.0 TDI................

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Im due getting the cambelt (BKD) changed next month,and was worried when i came across people who after having the belts changed ended up worse off because apparantly the bolt for the tensioner can snap off,if its been overtightened previously,even if you put a new one in.

Some 7-8 people (after doing a google search) had new cambelt kits fitted and around 900+miles later,the bolt sheared off ! these have been told that if the cars already had a cambelt previously and the mechanic has not torqued it to spec and overtightened it even slightly the chances are quite high of it shearing off causing serious engine damage,even if you replace it and tighten the new one to spec.........anyone had the issue? (BKD)

Also my cambelt was replace by audi dealer on 18 january 2008 at 79,888 BKD cambelt is 75,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first,my cars done around 43k on the belt,but next week the 5 years is up,even thoug its not done the miles,can i push it on for a little bit longer say another 2-months,or will it not last?

Well if you get a main dealer to fit the cambelt, if it snaps they will be paying the bill! So I wouldn't worry about it! I'm a tech for vw and we've only had 1 come back with a snapper tensioner since I've been there (2 years). And it was fixed FOC! So I wouldn't worry about it!

thanks,im getting it fitted job done for parts + labour at £90 so alot cheaper than dealer,audi dealers did the belt before so is it still worth getting a new bolt or do they come with the kit?,providing a new bolt is torqued to 20nm +45 degrees i should boe ok....touch wood.lol
Well if you get a main dealer to fit the cambelt, if it snaps they will be paying the bill! So I wouldn't worry about it! I'm a tech for vw and we've only had 1 come back with a snapper tensioner since I've been there (2 years). And it was fixed FOC! So I wouldn't worry about it!

You will want a new tensioner and nut! Yeah 20nm and 45 degrees!!

When I did the belt on my mates Seat Leon 2.0TDi 140 the kit came with everything, tensioner/stud/nut and idler/bolt, belt.

It's not hard to wind the stud out the head so well worth doing. I would get the water pump changed too while it's in bits. :icon_thumright:

i wll be (always have) getting a genuine kit and w/pump from audi
When I did the belt on my mates Seat Leon 2.0TDi 140 the kit came with everything, tensioner/stud/nut and idler/bolt, belt.

It's not hard to wind the stud out the head so well worth doing. I would get the water pump changed too while it's in bits. :icon_thumright:

sorry to bring up the old post.......the tensioner stud was replaced,hand tightened,then nipped tight with some mole grips,mechanic said it will be ok,because when tensioner nut gets tightened it also keeps the stud pulled tight ?..........make sense?

how do you guys normaly fit the stud? oh and ive heard they break off never loosen off,and only break off if the tensioner nut is not torqued?
i wll be (always have) getting a genuine kit and w/pump from audi

so he hasn't torqued it correctly??

the reason he said it'll be ok is for two reasons, firstly, he clearly isn't offering any sort of warranty on his work, and secondly, as it isn't his car, he just doesn't care

what is the torque setting?
so he hasn't torqued it correctly??

the reason he said it'll be ok is for two reasons, firstly, he clearly isn't offering any sort of warranty on his work, and secondly, as it isn't his car, he just doesn't care