Dashbord drinks holder/Ashtray dlelte.

A19quattro

Reaction score
I have recently done the above mods to my Wifes 2007 A3 TDI 170 S-Line, having bought the parts from Stoke Audi.
The ashtray part was fine using the guide on the site but I think there must be a panel for the top side of the newly created cubby, there is some rough plastic with holes but still a possibility items could get lost down there. I am sure there was a post about a lighting panel which could be fitted there, I am not too bothered about it lighting but does anyone know what I need and if possible the part number?
I also bought the pop out drinks holder whih is a direct replacement for the coin tray. I had a guide which spoke of some parts needing modification to fit but mine was a direct fit and works perfectly. That is until you fit the trim panel round the switches at the other side and hazard light switch in the middle, then you find the opening for the drinks holder is about 1/2mm wider and it doesn't open with the panel in place. I tried swapping the drawer fronts but it still doesn't fit/work properly, also tried heating and re-moulding the original part, NOT recommended, so I recon I need the trim panel from an A3 model which has the drinks holder as standard. I have posted this up on the Stoke Audi section but Dave doesn't seem to be around at the moment and the unfinshed job is bugging me, so again can anyone advise what I need and if ossible the part number?
Thanks for your help.
Vorshprungdork.

Are you talking single din or double din ?

As far as I know, the double din fascia and switches panel which holds the card holder is different from the single din one with the drinks holder. I think one or two have tried to make it fit but the original design with cup holder will not fit double din.

Last edited:
There's a different black plastic bit for the bottom of the climate and a led plastic light-guide that goes with it if I remember correctly. I have the light bit that I never fitted to my 2006 A3. Power for it is taken from the now dangling ashtray wire I think...

Mike - sorry not getting the double/single din thing. Have seen it mentioned on here before but never asked what it meant, so living up to my username. May promote myself at some stage to say Vorshprung apprentice but clearly still have stuff to learn.
Phil - Yes that's the biy I am talking about, any chance of a part No. or want to sell me it?

Single DIN is when the stereo is like a typical stereo, the small narrow one, like a letter box.

The double DIN is when the stereo is twice the size (not in length) but in height, eg the RNS-E is a double DIN.

Happy to sell it on - will have a dig around in the garage tomorrow and find out more details from when I originally got it...

Right, got it now, we are talking double din.

Ok - well I think that means that the drinks holder will not fit the surround, as you have found out, and unfortunately the single din surround will not fit the double din fascia so cannot be used.

Basically the surround for the switches and drinks holder in the single din version that you would need for the drinks holder goes at the top of the fascia and has rounded corners just like your double din stereo.

If you do a search on converting single din to double din you will find some photos to help.

Happy to sell it on - will have a dig around in the garage tomorrow and find out more details from when I originally got it...

Phil - if you find it can you post the part number please ? I have done the ashtray delete a long time ago but I've got single din. If and when I convert to double din I will need that part and it is very difficult to identify in ETKA.

Thanjs for the advice, I was reluctant to modify the original part but thought maybe I migt get away with some slight re moulding but it really didn't work, kind of plastic I think, so maybe need to buy another one and cut it a bit. I wondered if someone could have said say it's standard on an S3 and I could just order the S3 facia, no such luck I guess.

Thanjs for the advice, I was reluctant to modify the original part but thought maybe I migt get away with some slight re moulding but it really didn't work, kind of plastic I think, so maybe need to buy another one and cut it a bit. I wondered if someone could have said say it's standard on an S3 and I could just order the S3 facia, no such luck I guess.

This has just arrived on ebay if you're interested :- Genuine Audi A3 8P cupholder | eBay

Thanks for that, I managed to miss it but have messaged him anyway to see if he still has it or any insight into my issues, car of course no one alive can sort out teh rest of my issues lol.

Mike,

Looks like might finally get around to that garage rummage this week...

Sorry for the delay

It takes me back but...

On single din A3 I used to have these parts were involved...(replace bottom plastic - although one thing to bear in mind was that I didn't have proper climate, just the older blowers with an AC button (the non-SE 'Special Edition 2006 A3)...

8P0858433 - LIGHT
8P0857355 - OPTIC
8P0864138D4PK - TRIM

All a bit sketchy - was a long time ago...

I've attached a piccy of the optic part
IMG 9710

still looking to sort this

so can i ask phil, which parts does he need,
is it the trim that surrounds the switches on a single din unit

as i am thinking that is what he will need

Dave

Hi Dave - I don't think it's Phil that needs anything ! It was in post #1 that the OP was talking about his ashtray delete and looking for the plastic bit that goes under the climate unit. I asked him if it was single or double din because I have done the ashtray delete on single din and there is a plastic cover plate that goes under CC on the single din version. However, the cover plate is not so clear on the double din unit.

Phil said he had one and I asked that if he could find it could he post the part number to help me out as I have difficulty identifying it in ETKA !

ETKA illustration 863-50 ( A3 MY 2006 ) shows all the bits but I can't tell whether it's items 22, 23, 26 or 28. At a guess I would go for 28 but don't know !!

EDIT : changed my mind to item 26 not 28 !! Is item 25 required as well ?

Last edited: