My A3 modifications and Facelift

Pepsi

Reaction score
Hey up guys n gals. Just thought I would put a thread together of my A3 and what I've been on with doing to it. I bought it a couple of years ago totally standard. Its a 1.9 TDI Sport. I did give a hefty sum for it, but it was from a garage and it had very low mileage.

So pleased with it so far, been really reliable and enjoy the drive of it. .

Here's what it looked like when I bought it>>

The modifying bug soon crept in and i decided to try something with the front grill. I wanted to try and give it a single grill look. I used some dark grey vinyl and some chrome vinyl and a few tins of silver spray paint. And this was the outcome>>
View attachment 96290809

Decided to get tinted windows. Dark tint on the back three windows and the lightest available tint on the front two windows. >>

Also did the front headlights, rear lights, foglights, side repeaters, rear brakelight in a lamin x style material>>
View attachment 96351211

Fancied a new set of wheels . . So went for a set of 18" RS4 reps>>

I drove it like that for quite a while and then decided to go for a facelift.
18" S3 Wheels>>

FK Automotive black optics grill>>

S3 rear lower diffuser from TPS>>

Sebring Backbox>>

S3 Back bumper>>

S3 Front Bumper from TPS >> The FK grill didnt fit the S3 front bumper, but with a bit of modification to the rear and bottom, it fit eventually, had to use some adhesive in some places to secure it in the bumper>>
View attachment 9643
ABT Sideskirts>>
View attachment 9644
Roof Aerial.>> I know its a dummy one and looks a bit cheap and i still might pull it off yet, but it doesn't look too bad.
View attachment 9645

H11 Foglight plugs needed to change the wiring of the foglights.>>
View attachment 9646

So i had to cut the crash bar corners to suit the S3 BUMPER, that was simple enough. Converting the foglight wiring to suit the new foglights.

I also purchased a new bonnet and foglight grills from TPS. I used some chrome rings from the newer 2010 S3 foglight grills and adapted them to fit on the S3 grills on mine. I bought some foglights for a 2010 S3 off Ebay and they fitted easily in my S3 Bumper.

Also put a rear Spoiler on the back and a HID kit...

Here's how it looks so far >>
View attachment 9647View attachment 9648View attachment 9649View attachment 9650View attachment 9651View attachment 9652

I've got a few other mods planned for it at some stage.
Definately needs Lowering and have been advised to go for some Weitec by KW ones off a guy on here.

Wheel spacers maybe, but will see how it looks when I've lowered it.

Tempted for some aftermarket headlights and rear lights, but i don't think they fit well . .
S3 mirrors? but they'll probably just get nicked
sadlike.gif

Might get the rear lower diffuser and lower centre section of front bumper painted silver to look like the S3?

May plastidip the wheels black to see if the full on Stealth look is appealing.

I'm not too happy with the gap between the bumper and bonnet. I might try and see if I can get a better alignment when I get chance . .

Thanks for looking!
blackrs4.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: DeeGee68, ENZO and GNJ_Motorsport
Look gorgeous, how does the exhaust sound?

Cheers guys. Well I haven't noticed much sound change with the new backbox on, maybe just slightly on high revs. but I wasn't expecting much of a change to be honest. I just liked the chrome tips on the box so just fitted for looks really.

I wouldn't mind getting a better exhaust sound.

I wondered if I got a straight through pipe from the CAT to this new backbox ( deleting the centre box) then would I get a sportier sound? :think:

Looks good but needs lowering and not much of a fan of the sideskirts!

Other than that, top job

yes i got these 35mm lowering springs to put on at some point. Courtesy of Damian at DPM Performance. Cheers Bud! Hopefully this weekend if it's not persisting it down!

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,888
Will totaly transform the look and ride of the car once you stick them on fella, look forward to seeing some photos :)

Have just had a stage 1 shark performance re-map done. Going from 105bhp to 145bhp. Thanks to GNJ Motorsport! Very responsive now and smooth power delivery.

Hey up guys n gals. Just thought I would put a thread together of my A3 and what I've been on with doing to it. I bought it a couple of years ago totally standard. Its a 1.9 TDI Sport. I did give a hefty sum for it, but it was from a garage and it had very low mileage.

So pleased with it so far, been really reliable and enjoy the drive of it. .

Here's what it looked like when I bought it>>
View attachment 9628View attachment 9627View attachment 9626View attachment 9625View attachment 9624View attachment 9623

The modifying bug soon crept in and i decided to try something with the front grill. I wanted to try and give it a single grill look. I used some dark grey vinyl and some chrome vinyl and a few tins of silver spray paint. And this was the outcome>>
View attachment 9629View attachment 9630View attachment 9631

Decided to get tinted windows. Dark tint on the back three windows and the lightest available tint on the front two windows. >>
View attachment 9632

Also did the front headlights, rear lights, foglights, side repeaters, rear brakelight in a lamin x style material>>
View attachment 9635View attachment 9634View attachment 9633

Fancied a new set of wheels . . So went for a set of 18" RS4 reps>>
View attachment 9637View attachment 9636

I drove it like that for quite a while and then decided to go for a facelift.
18" S3 Wheels>>
View attachment 9638

FK Automotive black optics grill>>
View attachment 9639

S3 rear lower diffuser from TPS>>
View attachment 9640

Sebring Backbox>>
View attachment 9641

S3 Back bumper>>
View attachment 9642

S3 Front Bumper from TPS >> The FK grill didnt fit the S3 front bumper, but with a bit of modification to the rear and bottom, it fit eventually, had to use some adhesive in some places to secure it in the bumper>>
View attachment 9643
ABT Sideskirts>>
View attachment 9644
Roof Aerial.>> I know its a dummy one and looks a bit cheap and i still might pull it off yet, but it doesn't look too bad.
View attachment 9645

H11 Foglight plugs needed to change the wiring of the foglights.>>
View attachment 9646

So i had to cut the crash bar corners to suit the S3 BUMPER, that was simple enough. Converting the foglight wiring to suit the new foglights.

I also purchased a new bonnet and foglight grills from TPS. I used some chrome rings from the newer 2010 S3 foglight grills and adapted them to fit on the S3 grills on mine. I bought some foglights for a 2010 S3 off Ebay and they fitted easily in my S3 Bumper.

Also put a rear Spoiler on the back and a HID kit...

Here's how it looks so far >>
View attachment 9647View attachment 9648View attachment 9649View attachment 9650View attachment 9651View attachment 9652

I've got a few other mods planned for it at some stage.
Definately needs Lowering and have been advised to go for some Weitec by KW ones off a guy on here.

Wheel spacers maybe, but will see how it looks when I've lowered it.

Tempted for some aftermarket headlights and rear lights, but i don't think they fit well . .
S3 mirrors? but they'll probably just get nicked
sadlike.gif

Might get the rear lower diffuser and lower centre section of front bumper painted silver to look like the S3?

May plastidip the wheels black to see if the full on Stealth look is appealing.

I'm not too happy with the gap between the bumper and bonnet. I might try and see if I can get a better alignment when I get chance . .

Thanks for looking!
blackrs4.gif

Pepsi, can you help me please with the horizontal distance between the highest points of the bonnet- the sharp ones (see example image)? I want to make S3 bumper upgrade, and I need to change the hood (I have A3-2004 with 2 front grille). I found one used, but the owner don't knows exactly what year is it :) ... and I do not want to send it by courier in vain. 25

Also, I see you choose a grille from FK, which initially did not match with s3 bumper. How do you make adjustments? you cut something ?
Typically, a OEM S3 grille has in the bottom two horizontal lines and yours has 3. I had the impression that is smaller !?!?

Thanks

Pepsi, can you help me please with the horizontal distance between the highest points of the bonnet- the sharp ones (see example image)? I want to make S3 bumper upgrade, and I need to change the hood (I have A3-2004 with 2 front grille). I found one used, but the owner don't knows exactly what year is it :) ... and I do not want to send it by courier in vain. View attachment 10765

Also, I see you choose a grille from FK, which initially did not match with s3 bumper. How do you make adjustments? you cut something ?
Typically, a OEM S3 grille has in the bottom two horizontal lines and yours has 3. I had the impression that is smaller !?!?

Thanks

I'll measure it when i get chance to hopefully sometime today. fitting that fk grill in the s3 bumper was a nightmare. spent most of an evening chopping bits off the back of it and trimming sections out of the bumper also so it would fit in,then using adhesive to hold it in. But its not a great fit once it fits in, so i wouldn't bother trying it again. i'd just get a genuine one. i was led to believe the fk grill would fit the s3 bumper but apparantly its an s3 style that fits only a3 and s-line bumpers :eyebrows:

I'll measure it when i get chance to hopefully sometime today. fitting that fk grill in the s3 bumper was a nightmare. spent most of an evening chopping bits off the back of it and trimming sections out of the bumper also so it would fit in,then using adhesive to hold it in. But its not a great fit once it fits in, so i wouldn't bother trying it again. i'd just get a genuine one. i was led to believe the fk grill would fit the s3 bumper but apparantly its an s3 style that fits only a3 and s-line bumpers :eyebrows:
thank you for that. i was at 1 step to buy something similar. when you have some time, don't forget to measure the bonnet. thanks!!

Last edited:
Pepsi, can you help me please with the horizontal distance between the highest points of the bonnet- the sharp ones (see example image)? I want to make S3 bumper upgrade, and I need to change the hood (I have A3-2004 with 2 front grille). I found one used, but the owner don't knows exactly what year is it :) ... and I do not want to send it by courier in vain. View attachment 10765

Thanks

Just remembered this morning pal, I measured it at roughly 690mm :salute:

Why keep the S3 badge on the front grill?

Just preferred it on.

Chrome on Your fog lights looks very bad
Rest ok

Cheers. Yeah it was a bit of an experiment with that, but i'v kinda grown with it. .
Hi dude, how much was the new bumper??

Cheers

About 300 ish

nice mods mate, can you tell me what tint you have used on your windows (percentage-wise)

i think i got 50% front two windows and 5% back three . . A guy in Nelson did it, VIP Autotints... Great cheap service

Did you fit the springs in the end? Get some proper pictures in the Sun please.

Looks good. Be careful of police tho. They will have your pants down with them front tints as they did with me

nice modification, what about air intake?

Had mine tited at the front 50% for two years and never been stopped touch wood :D

Did you fit the springs in the end? Get some proper pictures in the Sun please.

Yeah i keep meaning to, I'm not too impressed with the front springs tho. hasn't really dropped enough for my liking, but will get some pics up soon.

Looks good. Be careful of police tho. They will have your pants down with them front tints as they did with me
Yeah i've had experience with them on previous cars but i did have darker tint then. Although on some pics it looks quite dark, but really you can see right through in daylight. the inside of the car is darker now with the back three windows done limo style...
nice modification, what about air intake?
Had mine tited at the front 50% for two years and never been stopped touch wood :D

Haven't considered changing the air intake really, from what i have read, it doesn't do much difference to the diesels anyway?
I'll keep touching wood too for the tints lol

I lowered mine which is a sport model with 30mm springs at the rear and 40mm at the front and not what i was looking for I should have known before when they mean 30mm and 40mm lowering they meant for standard A3 because sport version is already lowered about 15mm i think but still looks better than it used to.

Last edited:
I lowered mine which is a sport model with 30mm springs at the rear and 40mm at the front and not what i was looking for I should have known before when they mean 30mm and 40mm lowering they meant for standard A3 because sport version is already lowered about 15mm i think but still looks better than it used to.

Yeah i think i'm the same pal, mines a sport. i'm gonna post up some pics of it now.

Oh noes, S3 badges on a TDI ... *frowny face*

Looks mint tho.

hehe i know most ppl aren't a fan but whatever floats ya boat i guess . .

Pics of car lowered 35mm all round with weitec springs. Also plastidipped the wheels last nite. . 32

Like the look.
I'm in the middle of the same conversion but with a s-line bumper.

Was it easy to fit the H11 fog plugs? did you get adapters or cut the wires and fitted a new plug?
Also been looking for some fog lights, you know what different models use the same fog lights?
None seem to pop up on ebay for 2005-2008 A3 s-line/s3.

Thanks

Like the look.

Was it easy to fit the H11 fog plugs? did you get adapters or cut the wires and fitted a new plug?
Also been looking for some fog lights, you know what different models use the same fog lights?

Thanks

yeah i cut and crimped the new fog plugs on, pretty straight forward. My fog lights were actually from the 2009 - 2012 S3. I bought the 2009 - 2012 foglights and grills by mistake, but luckily i tried the fog lights and they were a straight fit. No mods needed. so i ended up buying some new grills from TPS for about 40 quid each! :faint: I used the chrome surround though of the newer grills and experimented with them on my foglight grills . . . pretty neat..

I'm pretty sure you can get some non genuine fog lights fair cheap. .

Reactions: J8TT X
Like the look.

Thanks

These may fit your bumper? Just check the fixings are in the correct place..
Audi A3 Mk.3 (Incl.S3) 7/08- Left Hand Near Side Front Fog Light | eBay

car looks really smart! Think it needs to be a little lower though.
If it ain't scrubbin', it ain't dubbin' :rockwoot:

Your absolutely right mate, i wasn't impressed with the front at all. Have you got any recommendations what to go for but with keeping the ride nice and smooth?

Your absolutely right mate, i wasn't impressed with the front at all. Have you got any recommendations what to go for but with keeping the ride nice and smooth?

It depends what you want to spend and what you class as 'smooth' mate.

I have coilovers which are dropped about 65mm. I mostly do motorway journeys and to be fair, the ride isnt that bad. Obviously hitting a pot hole or a speed bump its alot worse than standard suspension but i'm just more careful.

As coilovers are adjustable you could just raise them if they're too harsh.

Cheap coilovers only last a couple of years realistically so if you're not prepared to change them that often i'd go for more expensive ones with a longer guarantee.

As for springs i'm sure which ones are best but i if you use the search engine on this site there will be a fair few topics mate. :beerchug: