Where to sell a car? Advice please...

djoblong

Reaction score
HI All

Has anyone got any tips for which are good avenues to pursue for selling one's motor? A couple suggested to me were autotrader.co.uk and top marques.

Anyone else got any suggestions for places to advertise cars for private sale?

thanks in advance.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Autotrader mate, don't bother with the mag, just stick it online.

Is it the 2.0T your shifting, because if it's new with low miles, try selling it back to a dealer... It varies greatly, but if there is someone looking for one, then the dealers are normally a bit more generous.

ebay.

You'd be surprised how many good quality cars sell on it.

Best way to do it is take a deposit via paypal from the winning bidder, with the option of a refund if the car is not as described when they collect it.

Autotrader gets my vote,online.
Do yourself a favour and make your photo a good one.
10 minutes drive to get a nice background will make your advert stand out,whilst giving prospecive buyers the added impression that you really do care about the car.
There's nothing worse than a picture taken on a ****** ubiquitous driveway...

I don't like seeing cars parked in the middle of a playing field next to a duck pond. Makes me think... why?!? do they live in such a dump, that they can't even have a picture of their own car outside their own house.

OK - will pull up outside the Porsche dealership in hammersmith this afternoon and snap away!

Top Marques or Auto trader on-line, same company and i think will appear on both sites.

And is quite reasonably priced for a few weeks too, compared to the mags.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't like seeing cars parked in the middle of a playing field next to a duck pond. Makes me think... why?!? do they live in such a dump, that they can't even have a picture of their own car outside their own house.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the opposite !
When I see a picture in a drive I think;

'If they're too lazy to take a proper photo,perhaps they've been lazy looking after the car as well'

Manufacturers spend a mint of getting the right background to photos of their cars,so it must work.

[ QUOTE ]
'If they're too lazy to take a proper photo,perhaps they've been lazy looking after the car as well'

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you like to build up a picture of the owner before you drive halfway across the country.

[ QUOTE ]
Manufacturers spend a mint of getting the right background to photos of their cars,so it must work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite the same Bowfer. If i was given a budget of£500k to sell my car, then i'd drive to fukin Cape Town and stick it on Table Mountain!

Ebay is great, you can get a good description in, and good pics.

I have sold the following on there, 2002 320d se tourning, 2002 A4 2.5 TDI avant, Mercedes ML270cdi and our 3.0 Cab.

Here are the ads for the Cab and the ML .

I always put a BUY IT NOW price only, but accept offers.
This means it could go any minute, so people are more likely to get in touch quicker.
I always inlcude my email and a mobile in the advert, because people are more likely to send you a quick mail or text than they are to call.

I put our A2 tdi sport on autotrader last friday and sold it by Saturday, and have 3 others waiting if the sale goes through, so that is pretty good too.
If you price it right you will sell it, I always look at the cheapest in the country and beat that price, that is what everyone else will be comparing it too as well.

Good luck.

It's all about effort and giving a prospective buyer a sense that you treasured the car LeMan.
For all the prospective buyer knows,you could have taken the photo ages ago,when you were proud of the thing,not just to sell it.

A picture of a car sitting on a driveway festooned with weeds or broken slabs,does nothing for me.

It smacks of getting the harassed local autotrader rep to take the photo,not a proud owner.

I know it works.I've been told several times that my photos have made the advert 'stand out',and that is the objective after all.
Getting people to come see yours over the others is the desired effect.

Christ,you'd think I was talking about driving the car to Monaco to take the photo,not 10 minutes down the road to the local park/golf club/country house.

If that's too much bother for you,fine,but don't cry when other cars sell before yours.

[ QUOTE ]
I always look at the cheapest in the country and beat that price, that is what everyone else will be comparing it too as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

or If your patient, you can get more.. it only takes one mug.

Have to say Gizze, your Cab was stunning.

However, the interior on the ML /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always look at the cheapest in the country and beat that price, that is what everyone else will be comparing it too as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

or If your patient, you can get more.. it only takes one mug.

Have to say Gizze, your Cab was stunning.

However, the interior on the ML /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To look at it may have been stunning, but it was so boring to drive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yeah the ML interior was a little, hmm, shal we say dated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I came soooo close to buying a 3.0 Cab. But so many people said it was dull to drive. Even the S4.
I got the hint with the amount of them that appeared on the used car scene. Don't think the new one will be any better.

Got to say, if i wanted a cab, it would have to be Bavarian!

What the M6?! You lucky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif!!!!