AH FabricationsVolks Autos
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32

    1 fault code found during service and no fault light displayed on dash... help!

    Hi all,

    I just got my car serviced at AMD Essex, I have to mention, they provided fantastic customer service! Anyhows...

    1 fault code was found during the service:

    17748: Camshaft position sensor (g40) / engine speed sensor (g28)
    p1340 - 001 - incor. correlation
    readiness: 0110 1101

    No engine light on or any other fault lights and car runs fine.

    However, AMD tech guy did mention it could be that the chain has stretched.

    thoughts anyone???

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,716
    Assume its a 3.2 then?

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    yes 3.2

  5. #4
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,716
    Urm thats not good huh.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  6. #5
    chris.vincent3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK, Portsmouth
    Posts
    564
    Hard to say without someone reading the codes into more depth using VCDS for example. But, it is completely possible for them to be old faults that haven't been cleared.

    As for the chain stretching, when was it last changed? Due to be changed soon?

  7. #6
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,716
    This is true, but in ideal world you'd expect them to have tried to clear & then if comeback, tell you, problem is,this worlds far from ideal & not even all dealers do this, so chances with indy's is even less unfortunately.

    I always scan before/after to protect myself in 1st instance & also help client out should they have a pre-existing fault.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  8. #7
    chris.vincent3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK, Portsmouth
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    This is true, but in ideal world you'd expect them to have tried to clear & then if comeback, tell you, problem is,this worlds far from ideal & not even all dealers do this, so chances with indy's is even less unfortunately.

    I always scan before/after to protect myself in 1st instance & also help client out should they have a pre-existing fault.
    Yeah, unfortunately things do get forgotten. Digikam, if your chain isn't due to be changed or has recently been changed, i'd seek help from someone that could scan it for you, and just hope the faults don't come back.

    Yeah Danny did that when he fitted my cruise control, he knew my boot light had been unplugged (from having the boot open in the forecourt) otherwise I'd probably not have known to this day now.

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.vincent3 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately things do get forgotten. Digikam, if your chain isn't due to be changed or has recently been changed, i'd seek help from someone that could scan it for you, and just hope the faults don't come back.

    Yeah Danny did that when he fitted my cruise control, he knew my boot light had been unplugged (from having the boot open in the forecourt) otherwise I'd probably not have known to this day now.
    engine light has now come on!. i find it strange for it to happen after service. first time i seen the engine light since purchase. car was purchased recently so not sure if chain was replaced.

    my brother will be taking the car to his mates garage tomorrow so will see what that returns. he has all the tools to check.

  10. #9
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,716
    Chain isnt changed, its a lifetime part, but the chain stretches & its a boat load to fix, here's one link:

    A3 3.2 - Dreaded Cam Chain Stretch - PistonHeads

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    Amd quoted me 1200 for parts and labour to fix this but again i am not sure if the chain is the problem. Are there any obvious visual/sound signs for this problem?

  12. #11
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,716
    Either they're underestimating the problem or they've got the wrong fault, I remember Paddy spending 10k to find his fault on a car not even worth maybe half that now.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  13. #12
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    They mentiond as mine is dsg, apparently labour should not be as intensive as doing a manual model

  14. #13
    chris.vincent3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK, Portsmouth
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by digikam View Post
    Amd quoted me 1200 for parts and labour to fix this but again i am not sure if the chain is the problem. Are there any obvious visual/sound signs for this problem?
    Never knew the chain was a lifetime item as they obviously stretch. I was told that when they get noisy it's a symptom they need changing, however I was under the impression that the chains where replaced not as often as a belt just regularly throughout the engines life so what I know isn't of much help unfortunately as I could be wrong.

    But a stretched chain will put the timing out and make it run like a bag of nails, but other things could also make it run bad, it would be a massive assumption to believe its the chain but if its a common problem and by the sound of it, it is and it's already been diagnosed as the chain you might want to look at replacing it unfortunately.

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.vincent3 View Post
    Never knew the chain was a lifetime item as they obviously stretch. I was told that when they get noisy it's a symptom they need changing, however I was under the impression that the chains where replaced not as often as a belt just regularly throughout the engines life so what I know isn't of much help unfortunately as I could be wrong.

    But a stretched chain will put the timing out and make it run like a bag of nails, but other things could also make it run bad, it would be a massive assumption to believe its the chain but if its a common problem and by the sound of it, it is and it's already been diagnosed as the chain you might want to look at replacing it unfortunately.
    the car runs near perfect... just need to replace the exhaust to fix the leak on the flex section. engine sound is normal.. no rattles etc.

    the garage have assumed its a stretched chain because they seen the same fault on other cars and apparently it went away when they replaced the chain.

  16. #15
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    good news! just got an as new catalytic converter fitted to my car at nirro. total cost including part came to 290. car running very smooth now and vagcom has returned no faults. looks like the blown flexi was causing the series of faults that occured before.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. ESP fault code 01435 Brake Pressure Sensor - Common fault apparently
    By DenniS3 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th June 2012, 13:50
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th December 2010, 20:41
  3. air bag light on and faulty brake light warning on dash ?
    By theviking in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 5th March 2010, 17:45
  4. 2 fault codes found? Help/Advice needed.
    By AidenUK in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10th February 2010, 19:14
  5. FAULT CODE FOUND...
    By Izzy1 in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th October 2008, 16:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO