AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

1 fault code found during service and no fault light displayed on dash... help!

Hi all,

I just got my car serviced at AMD Essex, I have to mention, they provided fantastic customer service! Anyhows...

1 fault code was found during the service:

17748: Camshaft position sensor (g40) / engine speed sensor (g28)
    p1340 - 001 - incor. correlation
    readiness: 0110 1101

No engine light on or any other fault lights and car runs fine.

However, AMD tech guy did mention it could be that the chain has stretched.

thoughts anyone???

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Assume its a 3.2 then?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    yes 3.2

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Urm thats not good huh.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hard to say without someone reading the codes into more depth using VCDS for example. But, it is completely possible for them to be old faults that haven't been cleared.

As for the chain stretching, when was it last changed? Due to be changed soon?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    This is true, but in ideal world you'd expect them to have tried to clear & then if comeback, tell you, problem is,this worlds far from ideal & not even all dealers do this, so chances with indy's is even less unfortunately.

I always scan before/after to protect myself in 1st instance & also help client out should they have a pre-existing fault.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    This is true, but in ideal world you'd expect them to have tried to clear & then if comeback, tell you, problem is,this worlds far from ideal & not even all dealers do this, so chances with indy's is even less unfortunately.

I always scan before/after to protect myself in 1st instance & also help client out should they have a pre-existing fault.
    Yeah, unfortunately things do get forgotten. Digikam, if your chain isn't due to be changed or has recently been changed, i'd seek help from someone that could scan it for you, and just hope the faults don't come back.

Yeah Danny did that when he fitted my cruise control, he knew my boot light had been unplugged (from having the boot open in the forecourt) otherwise I'd probably not have known to this day now.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.vincent3 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately things do get forgotten. Digikam, if your chain isn't due to be changed or has recently been changed, i'd seek help from someone that could scan it for you, and just hope the faults don't come back.

Yeah Danny did that when he fitted my cruise control, he knew my boot light had been unplugged (from having the boot open in the forecourt) otherwise I'd probably not have known to this day now.
    engine light has now come on!. i find it strange for it to happen after service. first time i seen the engine light since purchase. car was purchased recently so not sure if chain was replaced.

my brother will be taking the car to his mates garage tomorrow so will see what that returns. he has all the tools to check.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Chain isnt changed, its a lifetime part, but the chain stretches & its a boat load to fix, here's one link:

A3 3.2 - Dreaded Cam Chain Stretch - PistonHeads

Neutral

Status
    Amd quoted me 1200 for parts and labour to fix this but again i am not sure if the chain is the problem. Are there any obvious visual/sound signs for this problem?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Either they're underestimating the problem or they've got the wrong fault, I remember Paddy spending 10k to find his fault on a car not even worth maybe half that now.

Neutral

Status
    They mentiond as mine is dsg, apparently labour should not be as intensive as doing a manual model

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by digikam View Post
    Amd quoted me 1200 for parts and labour to fix this but again i am not sure if the chain is the problem. Are there any obvious visual/sound signs for this problem?
    Never knew the chain was a lifetime item as they obviously stretch. I was told that when they get noisy it's a symptom they need changing, however I was under the impression that the chains where replaced not as often as a belt just regularly throughout the engines life so what I know isn't of much help unfortunately as I could be wrong.

But a stretched chain will put the timing out and make it run like a bag of nails, but other things could also make it run bad, it would be a massive assumption to believe its the chain but if its a common problem and by the sound of it, it is and it's already been diagnosed as the chain you might want to look at replacing it unfortunately.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.vincent3 View Post
    Never knew the chain was a lifetime item as they obviously stretch. I was told that when they get noisy it's a symptom they need changing, however I was under the impression that the chains where replaced not as often as a belt just regularly throughout the engines life so what I know isn't of much help unfortunately as I could be wrong.

But a stretched chain will put the timing out and make it run like a bag of nails, but other things could also make it run bad, it would be a massive assumption to believe its the chain but if its a common problem and by the sound of it, it is and it's already been diagnosed as the chain you might want to look at replacing it unfortunately.
    the car runs near perfect... just need to replace the exhaust to fix the leak on the flex section. engine sound is normal.. no rattles etc.

the garage have assumed its a stretched chain because they seen the same fault on other cars and apparently it went away when they replaced the chain.

Neutral

Status
    good news! just got an as new catalytic converter fitted to my car at nirro. total cost including part came to 290. car running very smooth now and vagcom has returned no faults. looks like the blown flexi was causing the series of faults that occured before.