Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Dash Warning Light on - with ignition off.

Hi - I have a strange problem which I think is an electrical fault, did a search but cannot see anything like this on the forum.

Basically the little Wheel warning light is permanently on (a little yellow ish) even when the ignition if off. It's like there is an earth problem on the light.

Here is a pic with the ignition on:

And off with the key out:

I'm check for Engine Codes there are none.

Any help, pointers appreciated before I pop over to Audi.

Regards Gareth

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    If its under warranty, then dont bother with pointers, just goto them, but looks like either the led is getting some load even when not required, therefore faulty cluster or thats getting residual light in that area, you could remove cluster fascia, turn on so you can see the pcb/led direct to see what it is doing with nothing covering that area.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    If its under warranty, then dont bother with pointers, just goto them, but looks like either the led is getting some load even when not required, therefore faulty cluster or thats getting residual light in that area, you could remove cluster fascia, turn on so you can see the pcb/led direct to see what it is doing with nothing covering that area.
    Thanks for the prompt reply, yes its under warranty, I was just interested if this was a common fault or just me I'll pop into Audi next week and post an update.

Reverse Gear

Status
    So just to close this off, took the car into Audi to investigate:-

• They check for any engine codes there were none.
    • I was notified that dash LEDs have some residual light which can sometimes show faintly. (like mine)
    • They compared my dash with other similar models of the same age RS3, S3 etc they are the same - so classed as "no fault found".
    Given that the faint light is very different from the Yellow Warning light which is obvious when it's on, I had no problem with the explanation. However I was a little worried that it might be a common fault or a undocumented feature of the dash lights. Either way I've reported the problem within warranty so they have a formal record of it going forward.

That being said, I think they must have tweaked something because when I got back in the car the problem was solved. So maybe they turned down the light just enough not to show anymore???

Anyone else have this issue please post and image I would be curious to see how common it really is.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Check the interior light dial setting on the headlight switch, probably wont do squat, but you never know as I always try to think of anything/everything that may affect a given issue.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Check the interior light dial setting on the headlight switch, probably wont do squat, but you never know as I always try to think of anything/everything that may affect a given issue.
    Yep wiggled that both ways no effect.

Update: one week later this glow comes and goes.. not bothered as it's not that obvious you have to really look for it. Would still be interested to see some pics of others if they have the same issue or not. Thank again for the help.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ok found another person with same issue I directly had access to & it seems in part to be related to the light sensor thats on the speedo cluster area, below the fastest speed marker, as when I shone a light on this at various times, it affected the brightness of this icon, for me its a pcb fault, needs researching further as I advised this guy.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok found another person with same issue I directly had access to & it seems in part to be related to the light sensor thats on the speedo cluster area, below the fastest speed marker, as when I shone a light on this at various times, it affected the brightness of this icon, for me its a pcb fault, needs researching further as I advised this guy.
    Thanks very much, mine does flicker a little depending on the light so your diagnosis does sound spot on. I too believe it's a fault not an "undocumented feature" as Audi have stated. I'm sure at some point it will fail and then I'll have a chat with Audi again.

Alk
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I've just noticed the same problem on my 09 A3. Did yours ever fail in the end?

I've found another forum thread with someone else that has an 09 and the same issue: Dull yellow warning light on dashbord A3 tdi 170 with ignition off so I start to wonder if it is a common fault on 09 models as you stated that Audi also checked against models of the same age.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Alk View Post
    Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I've just noticed the same problem on my 09 A3. Did yours ever fail in the end?

I've found another forum thread with someone else that has an 09 and the same issue: Dull yellow warning light on dashbord A3 tdi 170 with ignition off so I start to wonder if it is a common fault on 09 models as you stated that Audi also checked against models of the same age.
    Hello Alk, I think it's a common fault with the 09 model, mine is the same as it has always been, Audi refused to accept it was a fault stating that it's a feature of the car. However it's now 1yr on and not failed if that helps.

Alk
    Reverse Gear

Status
    That is good to know - thank you. It hasn't caused issues with draining the battery has it?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Not a chance with such a low draw from the minor led pulse its putting out.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Welcome to the site Alk, yeap its not going to cause an issue, although we've changed a few out for members because warranty paid for the job & was fine with replacement.

I think its batch of dodgy clusters tbh & the fact they QC'd the cars with that issue does beg the question.

Alk
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Welcome to the site Alk, yeap its not going to cause an issue, although we've changed a few out for members because warranty paid for the job & was fine with replacement.

I think its batch of dodgy clusters tbh & the fact they QC'd the cars with that issue does beg the question.
    I understand - thanks Nigel you've been very helpful. I may well make enquiries to see if I can also get it repaired under warranty.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Alk View Post
    I understand - thanks Nigel you've been very helpful. I may well make enquiries to see if I can also get it repaired under warranty.
    I asked Audi Reading to replace under warranty, they refused stating it was normal! Needless to say I did not renew the warranty with Audi. This is clearly a fault.

Does it effect the battery nope, not that I have found.

Alk
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by garethrees View Post
    I asked Audi Reading to replace under warranty, they refused stating it was normal! Needless to say I did not renew the warranty with Audi. This is clearly a fault.

Does it effect the battery nope, not that I have found.
    Thanks garethrees - Mine is not with Audi, but where I bought the car. Very much appreciate everyone's help!