DIY - window tints

marwayg

Reaction score
Hi,

has anybody ever tinted their back 3 windows (on a 3 door A3) by themselves??
I have bought tint rolls and i just have to put them on...

any advice?

Yeah, pay a pro to do it lol, because all self done tints I've seen, have ended up awful after a short period if not trained in the art using proper liquids & quality materials, no offense.

Couldn't agree more, some things were just never made to be DIY and window tints is one of them

i have watched many tutorials and it really doesnt seem that hard lol.... but ill take your comments into consideration

i have watched many tutorials and it really doesnt seem that hard lol.... but ill take your comments into consideration

Good luck mate. I have to say that watching and actually doing is like chalk and cheese !

Please report back with pics of your results.

You have bought it you may aswell give it ago. mine were done by previous owner and they still look good to this day.

Reactions: marwayg
It is possible to do a decent job tinting, it's not rocket science. The problem is that most of the quality tint on the market is only available to dealers. If you do find a roll of tint on eBay with a reputable brand name, it's probably a knock off.

I know a window tinter pretty well and have watched him at work and it's nothing short of art. He makes it look so easy. Washing the windows down, cutting the film, heating it up and then laying plus all the extra bits. He made it look easy.

A friend of mine needed to tint some cabinet windows to Limo black to match some other cabinets so I gave it a bash. It took me a good couple of hours to do a "good job" and the glass was square. It is very hard to get the tint to the exact size and laid with no imperfections.

Its not worth your time or money as it will get very frustrating...

The problem is most people think they can fit the tint to the glass straight from the roll, which never works.

If you do give it a go you'll need to lay the tint on the outside of the glass (clean the windows first) & gently heat it so that it takes the shape of the curve etc. Cut it to size (or as near as) then peel it off & fit it so the inside of the glass (clean side of the film that hasn't touched the outside of the glass), then start working bubbles in the water/sticking solution outwards to the edges of the glass with a soft aquifer or sponge. It may take 24hrs or so but tiny pin size bubbles evaporate & disappear.

Good luck, its not a nice job!

If you buy pre Cut tint it should be easy enough...