Message for Slug...

Horchsense

Reaction score
Hi Slug - (hey - catchy name!) - The bad news: if you look at my recent posts you'll see that I've taken the car backwards & forwards to the dealers (who've been really good) but with little success. They've replaced everything there is to replace - but the rattle keeps coming back.
There's no doubt in my mind that this is a design fault that Audi really should address - but probably won't.

The middling to good news: Don't waste time with ordinary silicone - it's totally useless. The BMW product "Gummipflege" - however is instantly effective - but the effects seem to wear off quickly (within 24 hours) & the rattle comes back - albeit greatly reduced.

HOWEVER...I have a theory that it is crucial as to where this stuff is applied and I'm currently conducting some experiments (yep! - I sound like a complete loony). Certainly the seals around the door & the door cavity are important - but my latest theory is to treat the "groove" in the seal running along the top of the door. This seems to have worked on the drivers door and I've just treated the passenger door. So I should know the effectiveness by tomorrow evening. I'll let you know...

regards steve b

ok, or maybe blocked?

Yeah i always lube the rubber grooves on my 8L soo will give it a try, thanks, seems to be the actual windows them selves, cause like other ppl have said, drop the window even by 5mm and it dissapears, weird, should be a re-call from AUDI UK, from the sounds of it many others have this problem.

Yeah - the problem is exactly the one you're describing - put the window down a mil or 2 & the rattle disappears - my theory however is that air pressure makes the door itself flex (I think probably in & out slightly) & movement in the widow makes it rub or rattle against the frame seals. By lowering the window, you reduce the air pressure on the door & thus it stop flexing...
From this evenings drive home virtually all noise has gone however & I'm sure that for some completely bizarre reason, lubricating the groove along the top of the door seal is important. Well anyway, I'll see how long it remains rattle free...

K kool, waiting for dealer to call us back, gonna get them to have a butchers, lol, butcher being the word. Also passener seat doesnt go forward when ppl get in the back, if you know what i mean, drivers is fine. apart from that all is good.