EM TuningAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi Steam Machine!!

Hi all, haven't had the need to post anything on here really until now, but the Audi has had a turn for the worse, I believe it has got a porous head.. The car, from very first start up blows a lot of steam from the exhaust and it doesn't clear when it gets warm.. It is a BKD engine and from what I've heard and read this is a common problem for them.. Has anyone else had this problem??

I can get the head "impregnated" where I work, this process works perfectly on porous aluminium fuel pump housings, and has been used for years.. Has anyone attempted this or am I going to have to take the plunge and buy a new head??

IAny help appreciated

Danny

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Sounds good. What does the impreganation process involve?
    I'd give it a go.

Sportback owner

Status
    I think it would help if you gave some more details. For example, what revision number is the head (A,B or C), what year is the car, and how many miles/kilometers? Is it losing coolant? Actually, it would be good to know if the BKD head is iron or aluminium. Also good to know if the impregnation process can cope with high temperatuires and pressures. Let us know please.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

Reverse Gear

Status

Re: Audi Steam Machine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldy212 View Post
    I think it would help if you gave some more details. For example, what revision number is the head (A,B or C), what year is the car, and how many miles/kilometers? Is it losing coolant? Actually, it would be good to know if the BKD head is iron or aluminium. Also good to know if the impregnation process can cope with high temperatuires and pressures. Let us know please.
    Sorry for being vague, I'm always at work and never get the chance to look at anything...

From the top of my head all I can tell you from that list is that it is a 2003, it has 130'000 miles, it looses coolant all the time and the coolant pipes become very pressurised along with the header tank, the head is an aluminium one...

The impreg will defo be able to cope with the pressure but the temperature will be a bit on the edge but we shall see...

I take it that I'm going to have to fork out for a "de-coke" set aswell as a cambelt kit...

Thanks for the reply