Buying advice needed please

Deano82

Reaction score
Hi all, i am new here and am looking to buy an Audi A3 :)

I have seen 2 cars i really like but i have a few questions that i hope someone can help me with.

The first car is a 2006 A3 2.0 tdi S-Line which only has 46,000 miles on the clock and is £8200. My concern with this car is that it has the DSG gearbox and i have read that if it goes wrong it is very expensive to fix
How reliable is this gearbox and should this put me off?

The second car is a 2009 A3 1.9tdie sport which has high mileage (88,000 miles) and is £9500. I prefer this car as its much cheaper tax and better fuel economy but the mileage seems very high for a 3 year old car.
Would this mileage put you off? I was thinking maybe its a little overpriced for a high mileage car?

Anyway i hope you can give me some advice on the above as i have never owned an Audi before and i want to make sure i make the right decision to avoid any costly repair bills

Thanks in advance

Hi all, i am new here and am looking to buy an Audi A3 :)

I have seen 2 cars i really like but i have a few questions that i hope someone can help me with.

The first car is a 2006 A3 2.0 tdi S-Line which only has 46,000 miles on the clock and is £8200. My concern with this car is that it has the DSG gearbox and i have read that if it goes wrong it is very expensive to fix
How reliable is this gearbox and should this put me off?

The second car is a 2009 A3 1.9tdie sport which has high mileage (88,000 miles) and is £9500. I prefer this car as its much cheaper tax and better fuel economy but the mileage seems very high for a 3 year old car.
Would this mileage put you off? I was thinking maybe its a little overpriced for a high mileage car?

Anyway i hope you can give me some advice on the above as i have never owned an Audi before and i want to make sure i make the right decision to avoid any costly repair bills

Thanks in advance

the 2.0tdi will be quicker and more torque although the dsg gearbox is not what id personally go for as it a bit of a lasy choice but uptp you really, the 2009 will obviously be the facelift a3 but has the less powerful engine economy wise they wont be much different it depends on how you drive the car, i would recommend a facelift 2.0tdi 140bhp or the 170bhp manual ...

From someone with the 2.0 tdi with dsg i'd say go for that one!

Also the 1.9 is un popular these days so could be harder to sell on, plus the mileage is more and the sport trim is a lesser model. As long as the S-Line is in good condition and has the correct service history then its a no brainer.

I am planning to test driving both cars in the next few days. Even though the 1.9 has high mileage do you think 88,000 will mean big repair bills in the months to come? I am assuming that because the car is only 3 years old the mileage is most probably motorway miles. I will check this with the garage when i go to see the car
I have heard on some websites that even 100,000 miles is nothing for an Audi diesel engine

I am planning to test driving both cars in the next few days. Even though the 1.9 has high mileage do you think 88,000 will mean big repair bills in the months to come? I am assuming that because the car is only 3 years old the mileage is most probably motorway miles. I will check this with the garage when i go to see the car
I have heard on some websites that even 100,000 miles is nothing for an Audi diesel engine

The mileage isn't anything to worry about as long as it has been serviced at the correct intervals.

Things will need replacing more on a car of that mileage and its had twice the use in half the time of the older car which sounds like a private owner compared to a company car which won't have been treated with the same respect.

The test drives will make your mind up, I still think the 2.0 will be the better car, its certainly the more desirable engine and model despite being the older car, hence why the two are valued similarly.

Copy a link to both ads so we can be nosy and have a look ;)

The mileage isn't anything to worry about as long as it has been serviced at the correct intervals.

Things will need replacing more on a car of that mileage and its had twice the use in half the time of the older car which sounds like a private owner compared to a company car which won't have been treated with the same respect.

The test drives will make your mind up, I still think the 2.0 will be the better car, its certainly the more desirable engine and model despite being the older car, hence why the two are valued similarly.

Copy a link to both ads so we can be nosy and have a look ;)

Here are the 2 cars..

Audi A3 2.0 TDI SPORT 3DR DSG 2006

Audi A3 1.9 TDIE SPORT 3DR 2009

Thanks for that, let us know how the test drives go.

The S-Line is still my favourite of the two, pop some updated rear lights on to update the rear and that's a good looking car.

is the 06 one a full S-Line as its described as a Sport, maybe interior and body kit, not sure if it should look a bit lower, cant see a dealer missing that opportunity :)

the later car has some of the bits you will probably want, MFSW so Cruise is an easy option if wanted and its not on it already, i went for a Manual as the servicing and potential repair of the DSG put me off, but got the 2.0/170 and always smile when i give it some welly

take your pick, auto or manual i guess, but as you can see a newer car will always be worth more

I think the 1.9 is better car here I prefer 2.0 but hey. Keep looking around few good cars for around money your looking at.

If you want lower tax, insurance and better economy then the 1.9 is better, but as Paul said they are less popular than the 2.0 nowadays so may be harder to sell on and the 2.0tdi is a great engine. A mate had a 140 and loved it, he still managed to get over 50 MPG average as well so was pretty impressive.

Test drive both and see what you think.

What about these?

2008 S line
2008 Sport

Patience is the key, as others have said, at your budget it's a buyers market, ring a few older adverts, see what's sold and what hasn't.

There's plenty of A3's around, especially in your price bracket, as most will only have done lowish miles.

I am more tempted by the 1.9 actually as i am not bothered about power anymore, just want a reliable car that's cheap to run (currently saving for our wedding so need all the cash i can get!)

I will be trading in my Vauxhall Astra 1.9cdti 150bhp so i have had the power, now need something more sensible! The Astra has been one of the worst cars i have owned, loads of problems (its currently sat on the driveway undriveable as the alternator has packed up!) Its only done 43,000 miles and the gearbox went last year which cost me £1000 to get repaired...cant wait to get rid of it!

I am more tempted by the 1.9 actually as i am not bothered about power anymore, just want a reliable car that's cheap to run (currently saving for our wedding so need all the cash i can get!)

I will be trading in my Vauxhall Astra 1.9cdti 150bhp so i have had the power, now need something more sensible! The Astra has been one of the worst cars i have owned, loads of problems (its currently sat on the driveway undriveable as the alternator has packed up!) Its only done 43,000 miles and the gearbox went last year which cost me £1000 to get repaired...cant wait to get rid of it!

I feel for you mate and I second that, my previous car was an Astra Sport Hatch and the same engine as yours and was the main reason I moved over from VX to Audi! I had 3 Astra's over 9 years and that was the worst and last one! I had it from new on a 57 reg and after 13 months and about 27,000 miles the engine blew!! However, I have a feeling it was the dealer that caused it because I was told it was a cracked heater matrix or something (passenger footwell) that was leaking coolant. I am pretty sure someone kicked it while they were doing some work, hard to prove and I wasnt that bothered because it was fixed under warranty (new engine though!) But took nearly a month to get it fixed and I had the 'pleasure' of a 1.8 Zafira as a cortesy car! Had a few other minor issues with the Atra as well and the dealer (who used to be very good) went downhill so I walked away. :mad:

Hope your test drives go OK and sounds like if you arent bothered about power then go for the 1.9 but I am sure you will make your mind up when you have had a go in both. :sm4:

Finally afer weeks of looking for the right car i have bought my first A3 :)

Its an Aruba Blue 1.9tdie sportback (sport trim). One owner from new, 59 plate with only 42,000 miles. Had it for £11.5k

Will upload pics when i have chance to give it a wash