Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14

    Buying advice needed please

    Hi all, i am new here and am looking to buy an Audi A3

    I have seen 2 cars i really like but i have a few questions that i hope someone can help me with.

    The first car is a 2006 A3 2.0 tdi S-Line which only has 46,000 miles on the clock and is £8200. My concern with this car is that it has the DSG gearbox and i have read that if it goes wrong it is very expensive to fix
    How reliable is this gearbox and should this put me off?

    The second car is a 2009 A3 1.9tdie sport which has high mileage (88,000 miles) and is £9500. I prefer this car as its much cheaper tax and better fuel economy but the mileage seems very high for a 3 year old car.
    Would this mileage put you off? I was thinking maybe its a little overpriced for a high mileage car?

    Anyway i hope you can give me some advice on the above as i have never owned an Audi before and i want to make sure i make the right decision to avoid any costly repair bills

    Thanks in advance

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    TDI140's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano82 View Post
    Hi all, i am new here and am looking to buy an Audi A3

    I have seen 2 cars i really like but i have a few questions that i hope someone can help me with.

    The first car is a 2006 A3 2.0 tdi S-Line which only has 46,000 miles on the clock and is £8200. My concern with this car is that it has the DSG gearbox and i have read that if it goes wrong it is very expensive to fix
    How reliable is this gearbox and should this put me off?

    The second car is a 2009 A3 1.9tdie sport which has high mileage (88,000 miles) and is £9500. I prefer this car as its much cheaper tax and better fuel economy but the mileage seems very high for a 3 year old car.
    Would this mileage put you off? I was thinking maybe its a little overpriced for a high mileage car?

    Anyway i hope you can give me some advice on the above as i have never owned an Audi before and i want to make sure i make the right decision to avoid any costly repair bills

    Thanks in advance

    the 2.0tdi will be quicker and more torque although the dsg gearbox is not what id personally go for as it a bit of a lasy choice but uptp you really, the 2009 will obviously be the facelift a3 but has the less powerful engine economy wise they wont be much different it depends on how you drive the car, i would recommend a facelift 2.0tdi 140bhp or the 170bhp manual ...
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

  4. #3
    Paul76R's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wadebridge, Cornwall
    Posts
    145
    From someone with the 2.0 tdi with dsg i'd say go for that one!

    Also the 1.9 is un popular these days so could be harder to sell on, plus the mileage is more and the sport trim is a lesser model. As long as the S-Line is in good condition and has the correct service history then its a no brainer.

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    I am planning to test driving both cars in the next few days. Even though the 1.9 has high mileage do you think 88,000 will mean big repair bills in the months to come? I am assuming that because the car is only 3 years old the mileage is most probably motorway miles. I will check this with the garage when i go to see the car
    I have heard on some websites that even 100,000 miles is nothing for an Audi diesel engine

  6. #5
    Paul76R's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wadebridge, Cornwall
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano82 View Post
    I am planning to test driving both cars in the next few days. Even though the 1.9 has high mileage do you think 88,000 will mean big repair bills in the months to come? I am assuming that because the car is only 3 years old the mileage is most probably motorway miles. I will check this with the garage when i go to see the car
    I have heard on some websites that even 100,000 miles is nothing for an Audi diesel engine
    The mileage isn't anything to worry about as long as it has been serviced at the correct intervals.

    Things will need replacing more on a car of that mileage and its had twice the use in half the time of the older car which sounds like a private owner compared to a company car which won't have been treated with the same respect.

    The test drives will make your mind up, I still think the 2.0 will be the better car, its certainly the more desirable engine and model despite being the older car, hence why the two are valued similarly.

    Copy a link to both ads so we can be nosy and have a look

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul76R View Post
    The mileage isn't anything to worry about as long as it has been serviced at the correct intervals.

    Things will need replacing more on a car of that mileage and its had twice the use in half the time of the older car which sounds like a private owner compared to a company car which won't have been treated with the same respect.

    The test drives will make your mind up, I still think the 2.0 will be the better car, its certainly the more desirable engine and model despite being the older car, hence why the two are valued similarly.

    Copy a link to both ads so we can be nosy and have a look
    Here are the 2 cars..

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI SPORT 3DR DSG 2006


    Audi A3 1.9 TDIE SPORT 3DR 2009

  8. #7
    Paul76R's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wadebridge, Cornwall
    Posts
    145
    Thanks for that, let us know how the test drives go.

    The S-Line is still my favourite of the two, pop some updated rear lights on to update the rear and that's a good looking car.

  9. #8
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maidstone, Kent
    Posts
    22
    is the 06 one a full S-Line as its described as a Sport, maybe interior and body kit, not sure if it should look a bit lower, cant see a dealer missing that opportunity :-)

    the later car has some of the bits you will probably want, MFSW so Cruise is an easy option if wanted and its not on it already, i went for a Manual as the servicing and potential repair of the DSG put me off, but got the 2.0/170 and always smile when i give it some welly

    take your pick, auto or manual i guess, but as you can see a newer car will always be worth more

  10. #9
    thebambam's Avatar
    P.I.M.P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gutersloh Germany
    Posts
    65

    My Social Networking

    Follow thebambam On Twitter
    I think the 1.9 is better car here I prefer 2.0 but hey. Keep looking around few good cars for around money your looking at.

  11. #10
    NICK-C's Avatar
    Nick

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    439
    If you want lower tax, insurance and better economy then the 1.9 is better, but as Paul said they are less popular than the 2.0 nowadays so may be harder to sell on and the 2.0tdi is a great engine. A mate had a 140 and loved it, he still managed to get over 50 MPG average as well so was pretty impressive.

    Test drive both and see what you think.

    What about these?

    2008 S line
    2008 Sport
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    55
    Patience is the key, as others have said, at your budget it's a buyers market, ring a few older adverts, see what's sold and what hasn't.

    There's plenty of A3's around, especially in your price bracket, as most will only have done lowish miles.

  13. #12
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    I am more tempted by the 1.9 actually as i am not bothered about power anymore, just want a reliable car that's cheap to run (currently saving for our wedding so need all the cash i can get!)

    I will be trading in my Vauxhall Astra 1.9cdti 150bhp so i have had the power, now need something more sensible! The Astra has been one of the worst cars i have owned, loads of problems (its currently sat on the driveway undriveable as the alternator has packed up!) Its only done 43,000 miles and the gearbox went last year which cost me £1000 to get repaired...cant wait to get rid of it!

  14. #13
    NICK-C's Avatar
    Nick

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano82 View Post
    I am more tempted by the 1.9 actually as i am not bothered about power anymore, just want a reliable car that's cheap to run (currently saving for our wedding so need all the cash i can get!)

    I will be trading in my Vauxhall Astra 1.9cdti 150bhp so i have had the power, now need something more sensible! The Astra has been one of the worst cars i have owned, loads of problems (its currently sat on the driveway undriveable as the alternator has packed up!) Its only done 43,000 miles and the gearbox went last year which cost me £1000 to get repaired...cant wait to get rid of it!
    I feel for you mate and I second that, my previous car was an Astra Sport Hatch and the same engine as yours and was the main reason I moved over from VX to Audi! I had 3 Astra's over 9 years and that was the worst and last one! I had it from new on a 57 reg and after 13 months and about 27,000 miles the engine blew!! However, I have a feeling it was the dealer that caused it because I was told it was a cracked heater matrix or something (passenger footwell) that was leaking coolant. I am pretty sure someone kicked it while they were doing some work, hard to prove and I wasnt that bothered because it was fixed under warranty (new engine though!) But took nearly a month to get it fixed and I had the 'pleasure' of a 1.8 Zafira as a cortesy car! Had a few other minor issues with the Atra as well and the dealer (who used to be very good) went downhill so I walked away.

    Hope your test drives go OK and sounds like if you arent bothered about power then go for the 1.9 but I am sure you will make your mind up when you have had a go in both.
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

  15. #14
    Paul76R's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wadebridge, Cornwall
    Posts
    145
    If you go for a newer 2.0 58 plate onwards then the tax is £30 like the 1.9 plus still 50+mpg.

    How about these?

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI 5DR 2009

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI SE 3DR 2008

    or this one is a slightly older 2.0 but still only £170 tax

    Audi A3 DIESEL HATCHBACK 2.0 TDi Sport 3dr S Tronic 2008

  16. #15
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Finally afer weeks of looking for the right car i have bought my first A3

    Its an Aruba Blue 1.9tdie sportback (sport trim). One owner from new, 59 plate with only 42,000 miles. Had it for £11.5k

    Will upload pics when i have chance to give it a wash

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Looking to buy an S3, advice needed please!
    By RobD88 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 4th June 2011, 21:18
  2. advice needed please
    By andy-exige in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 25th June 2007, 17:02
  3. advice needed please
    By theitalian3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th December 2006, 12:39
  4. Advice needed please
    By Herby1 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th November 2006, 11:04
  5. Urgent Advice Needed Please with my Audi S3
    By lUCKYS3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29th August 2006, 12:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO