can you spray paint your intercooler ?? if so how ??

TDI140

Reaction score
IMG 0559

^^^^can the intercooler be spray painter silver using metal spray paint so i dont have to primer it ?
i wish to spray it to give it more of a outstanding and youthful look as it looks a bit dingy, dark and glum

Liquid paint won't last on aluminium no matter what you do. Only powder coating but i think that would affect the heat transfer. I would just remove it and clean it well if i were you, or polish it :D

As above, unless it's done properly you will affect the way it works. Remove it and get it shot blasted?

oh right so adding a coat of paint or even powder coating will effect the cooling of the car ? thats a bit of a bummer as i dont want to fit an s3 aluminium intercooler heard its a lot of work and obviously the price tag and the question of not needing it as my car isnt running high enough boost/power

looks like ill be leaving that exactly how it is then
thanks for the quick responses

I went the other way on my MX5, painted the IC black so it wasn't so obvious

Picture003.jpg

10 years on with daily use and a pretty regular track thrashing and the paint hasn't pealed or come off.
Did some temp readings before and after and it made absolutely no difference to intake temps.

Should point out that i am in Greece so that's 10 summer of mid 40c's ambient temps.

You can paint aluminium, you just need to get the right paint and primer.
I used high temp paint the same as i used on my cam cover and supercharger, again no problems on either with peeling or paint coming off.

I painted the valve cover and intake manifold on my 1.8T and the 16v i had in the past, always high temp paint, with and without primer, failed in every way, i can scratch the paint with my nail. Next time i'll go for powder coating for aluminium.

I painted the valve cover and intake manifold on my 1.8T and the 16v i had in the past, always high temp paint, with and without primer, failed in every way, i can scratch the paint with my nail. Next time i'll go for powder coating for aluminium.

Aluminium is no different to steel, many cars my MX5 included use aluminium panels again with absolutely no problems.

The key is to make sure the surface is absolutely spotlessly clean, for cam covers you also need to go over and give it an extremely thorough degreasing, then go over with a scouring pad to give the paint a good key.

Etching primer is also a good idea if you've had problems before.

I can say that my aluminium IC that has been painted for 10 years cleans up as good as new, as does my cam cover and supercharger.
Worth pointing out that my supercharger regularly hits 200c after hard use, again absolutely no problems.

It's all in the preparation :thumbsup:

did you paint all the front of the intercooler ? or just the sides ? as i wish to have the whole think looking shiny and fresh if its a good look, or i could buy a forge utensil and paint forge on the black intercooler using red high temp paint ???? ideas ???