newbie just bought A3 T fsi dsg 2006....advice please

jondsg

Reaction score
hi guys new to this forum and audi.

just bought an A3 2T fsi sline special edition dsg. 1 lady owner with 50k on a 56 plate.
lovely car and so far im happy...just wanted to know if there is anything to look out for? or needs changing at this mileage?

im getting the dsg oil changed tomo, and its going in for a recall on thursday(coilpack i think),

is there anything else i should do or look out for? iv read parts on the camshaft follower but unsure what that is.

also is it worth getting a warranty from warranty direct or warrantywise?

many thanks

Hi, welcome to audi-sport, the boys will be along shortly to advise you. Have a read through the faqs threads, loys of info in there. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Look out for the mechatronics unit on the dsg gearbox. Common problem, just had mine done on warranty.

Look out for the mechatronics unit on the dsg gearbox. Common problem, just had mine done on warranty.

Cheers,
What's the mileage on your car? Is it worth me getting a warranty? From direct or wise? I'm going to ask audi tomorrow if thwy do any warranties.

You'll need to get the Cambelt done at 60k, it's usual to change the water pump at the same time as it's all connected AFAIK. Brake fluid, Air filter and spark plugs every 2 years I think.

I'm not sure warranties are terribly good value as they won't cover stuff considered to be wear and tear.

I've had mine 3 years and have just had the cambelt & DSG oil done as I've decided I like it so much I'll keep it another couple of years.

Thanks for the replies.
Warranty direct said they do cover for wear and tair. Ill have to look through the small print.
Any info on the cam follower , iv seen a few threads on that.

Thanks

1. Check cam follower for wear and replace it if there is anything at all, its a cheap part - behind HPFP (high pressure fuel pump)
2. Replace diverter valve with revision D if it hasnt already been done. There are prone to failure, even on standard boost
3. Cambelt and water pump if it hasnt been done yet. They recommend every 62,000 miles or 5 years from memory. Do thermostat
whilst you're in there.

There is a few other minor things but the above and the DSG service would be the main things. Gearbox should be fine if its a 2006, I believe there was less problems on these than the 7 speed dry clutch versions that came out a couple of years later, maintenance is key and try not to overheat the DSG by strongly feathering/pulsing the throttle reversing up hills etc.

Yeah warranty, Audi prices are silly to say the least, 95 per hour labour plus parts for the mechatronics unit....

My warranty was from the AA and is excellent, had a warranty direct one before and they weren't as good.

thanks guys, I'll take a look at AS warranty. getting gearbox oil change next week, and I'll get cam follower done too.

Jon

I have Warranty Direct and have no problems at all. Replaced turbo without question. For a new account they cover for wear and tear after three months. From then on, including renewals, it's covered at all times.

If you don't mine me asking, how much did you pay for the car?

i paid 8k for it, special edition so has all the extras too. is that a fair price?

ill have a look at warranty direct small print too, i thought they where good due to the wear and tear cover.

thanks

i paid 8k for it, special edition so has all the extras too. is that a fair price?

ill have a look at warranty direct small print too, i thought they where good due to the wear and tear cover.

thanks

I'm looking at a similar car but tdi with 48k and it's not special edition!

Was wondering what it's worth and how much I should pay?

thanks
I,d say that's a fair price mate