Front windscreen demister not working?

dk1234

Reaction score
When I turn the fan on no air comes out of the vent to dimist the front windscreen. I'm wondering what it could be? could it be a fuse or something else? and what would be the best way to check it out? When I turn the fan up I hear no noise either.

thanks for any help, I did a search but couldn't find anything that gave me some info about demister problems, maybe I put in the wrong search terms?

A3 FSI 2004

Last edited:
I think the question is whether its Climate control or just hot/cold, not s-tronic or manual :)

oh lol... I'm not sure, it's got E-Con button, which I assume is aircon. It's a 2004 2.0 litre FSI I'm not sure if that's any help? if not could you let me know how I would check?

If you have a manual climate control, there is a fused series resistor on the blower motor. If automatic climate control, the control unit appears to be built into the blower motor.
Either way, the glove box has to come out.

$T2eC16JHJGoE9nuQeV2lBQg)dMLt+g~~60_12.JPG

climate looks pretty like this, couple more bits for heated seats

Hi, I have not looked at my demister yet, as I've haven't been driving that much, mainly using my travel card to get about and using a demister cloth when I do drive my car and opening the windows abit.

I was planning to have a look today. I have the Elsa CD that I planned to use that I got from an aution site but I forgot the username & or the password since I set it up a while ago. I found a guide on here on how to remove the glovebox, I took one of the pics and I was wondering what is the demister bit that I need to check? I labelled where I think it might be...A and B. I'm not sure where I seen it mentioned to check or give the demister bit a bit of a clean and put back together and it might work....?

Glove box off Help

How much would a garage charge to sort this out? I also need to change my coolant bottle, I got a new one from Audi. The only thing is I'm quite inexperienced with messing with cars although I would like to know how to do stuff for myself as things can be expensive at the garage.

The pic above was from this thread on how to remove a glovebox, I just added the arrows to know what I should look for before I start dismantling stuff.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ove-box-removal-repair-lowering-arm-pics.html

I think I got some of my ideas from this thread that was about the blower motor not working, which I'm assuming is the same sort of thing.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/165673-interior-fan-blowers-not-working.html

some suggestions in there were:

get scanned by vcds (I don't have one or know anybody with one)
Could be blown fuse. (I checked this a few months ago and the fuse was fine)
Loose connector by fan (not sure where that is hopefully Arrow A or B? from pic above)
Connector to the blower module.. dissconnect and reconnecet
or motor's gone kaputt (Is that the whole climate unit?)

Runnernorth post in that thread said

Hi there, I've had the same problem, in my case it was the connector to the blower module, I just disconnected it and connected it again, and then it worked, strange.....
You have to disassembley the "box/room/"in the passengers site, I don't know what it is called in english
biggrin.gif
, then you'll be able to check the connector to the module, and the connector from the module to the blower as well. Try turn the blower wheel, and see if there's any objects in there that shouldn't be in there.
Hope you understand me, as I'm not THAT good at English

Have you got air coming out of the other vents? My mate who has an A4 had this problem, it was the flap which had gotten stuck. All he done was drop the glove box move the arm which controls the flap and spray some WD-40 works fine now.

Have you got air coming out of the other vents? My mate who has an A4 had this problem, it was the flap which had gotten stuck. All he done was drop the glove box move the arm which controls the flap and spray some WD-40 works fine now.

No, there's no air coming out of the other vents. I don't hear a fan noise or anything like I used to when it was working. Where's the flap? is it near arrow A or B in the picture I posted a few posts above?

I need to get my MOT done, I'm guessing my car would fail with out the demister / fan working?

Hi, I'm not sure if you know where the flap is located but I included this pic and was hoping you or somebody could tell me where it's located. I've label the pic. I writ in orange A,B,C or D and if somebody could tell me where it's near it would be greatly appreciated.

Glove box off version 2

In the red square I think that is where the blower motor goes, is the connection that I should check the black wire near the green arrow? or should I take the blower motor out (or is there no point to that?)

If you or anyone could answer I would be very happy as not alot of people seem to reply.

Sorry it won't be the flaps as you haven't got any air blowing, so this points to the blower (green arrow in the picture you supplied), or a fuse blown like people above have mentioned. Take the car to a garage and see what they say.