A3 indicators flashing issue!

puzzle735

Reaction score
Hi

I've recently bought an A3 hoping German engineering would mean an end to electrical niggles but it would seem not! I've used this forum quite extensively to diagnose the issue but am still having an issue with the indicators flashing randomly when nobody is near the car (no sound is heard so I am wondering an alarm issue)? This only occurs when the car is locked using the remote, leaving it unlocked this does not happen.

Initially, the rear wiper had a mind of it's own so I replaced that which solved the issue. Then the above indicator issue happened which flattened the battery! However, the battery maybe the original as it has the circular indicator on top which is completely clear so I recharged it. Upon recharging it was only holding 12.4v so I replaced it anyway for a Varta Silver Dynamic E38 battery (as recommended on this forum)!

I then found out there could be water ingress into the micro-switch PCB on the rear boot lock (the v-shaped piece of metal i.e.boot latch). I took the grey connector off and the boot latch, sprayed both with WD40 and left for 24 hours. I then tried connecting it all back up which went ok but the "boot open" diagram of the car appeared on the DIS. I then tried to bypass the micro-switch by placing a bit of wire in the grey connector (part of the wiring loom) only but this didn't work. I then used a hair dryer and dried both the grey connector and rear lock containing the PCB. This worked - for 24 hours!

The situation is now I have the boot open on the DIS and if I lock the car the indicators flash randomly and I am concerned this will flatten the new battery. If the indicators go off when the car is locked, when I unlock the car the indicators don't flash like they normally do. The only option I have is to leave the car unlocked! Is it now a case of replacing the rear boot lock (the v-shaped piece of metal i.e. boot latch) containing the PCB micro-switch

These really are Peugeot type electrical problems which I wasn't expecting to have! I've driven for 20+ years not needing a micro-switch to tell me whether a boot has been left open or not. Audi have created a solution to a problem that doesn't exist but have caused a massive problem with the poor design of the rear wiper and subsequent water ingress into electrical components!

Thanks in advance!

sounds to me like the alarm siren has given up this is a common fault although somethink must be setting the alarm off so worth getting it scanned to see whats setting the alarm off

only just read the extra bit sounds to me like the micro switch has gone in the boot lock? one way to test this is open ur tailgate and see if ur boot light lights up with it open? if it don't then you know the switch is at fault which is part of the boot latch so its all one unit and will require replacing