Emergency Tyre Purchase - Nexen N8000

chinnyhill10

Reaction score
Went through a pothole today 300 miles from home and badly damaged one of my front Dunlops on my A3 170 Quattro. Damage was bad enough that to contemplate driving home on it would be foolish at least.

Only 1 garage nearby and they were unable to get hold of any branded tyre before Wednesday. Can't drive with a damaged tyre so had to bite the bullet for 2 new tyres on the front.

Garage only had a "budget" or a "mid-range" called "Nexen". Ended up with their Nexen N8000 on both front corners (as you have to replace both at once).

Can't say I'm happy but beggers can't be choosers. On the upside they feel OK to drive and don't produce the levels of noise I'd expect from a cheaper brand.

Anyone tried these on their Quattro. Any experiences? Will I be visiting ditches or replacing them after 2000 miles?

The one thing I will say is that protective lip on the side of the tyre is far less pronounced than the Dunlops on the rear. People "saving" money buying these may end up spending it on having the alloy wheel man visit!

Any thoughts? Anyone have them on their A3? Garage said they sell alot of them.

On the upside the tyre took all the damage and the tracking and alloy were fine.

What they like in the rain?. Ive got simular budget tyres on the front of mine after having a blowout on my potenza and in the rain they are naff.... ie no grip at all.

Seemed like slightly less grip on the slip road onto the motorway but the reviews suggest you need 400km for the anti mould compound to wear off (this compound is said to reduce grip). So it would be unfair to comment at the moment.

Ride seemed less harsh though and not as much vibration from the road through the steering wheel.

Reviews seemed to be mixed. On a race track test they came bottom but day to day users seem fairly keen.

It's a horrible situation to be in as I've always insisted on good rubber for all my cars going back to my first 1 litre Fiesta. But I really had no choice. Driving that far home on a tyre that could rupture would be far more of a stupid thing to do.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see how they do then with the protective compound gone. Yeah driving with a potential dangerous tyre not worth the risk at all.