Number Plate Light Missing

captainsky

Reaction score
2009 - 170 TDI Black Edition.

Was driving home from work last night and the warning came on that the numberplate light bulb has blown.
On closer inspection today, it looks like the plastic lens has fallen out and the whole bulb assembly is missing.

Is this a common thing?

I'm popping it down to Audi's later so they can either do it there or order the parts for a return visit.

The car is a lease car and out of warranty so wonder if Audi will cover this under goodwill (especially if its a common issue) or the lease company (its on a fully maintained lease).

The screw is still in there along with a small ring of the plastic lens - its does appear to have just fallen out.

Can't really fall out without human help. Someone's probably nicked it without realising they've broken it!

Audi garage confirmed that they see lots of them and had the part on the shelf so done the repair there and then under goodwill.
The garage said that they are overtigntened in the factory and that the shock of shutting the boot overtime pops them out.

They say that they do around 3-4 a week when cars are in fir service.

The plastic is very brittle and cracks mate I put a couple on my passat they are about £7

The screws are made of chocolate too.
Just put my LED replacements in and used different screws which
actually fit a human sized screwdriver.

Had this happen to mine. They are only about 6 pound from the dealers. But don't back off the screw. And buy a new screw and coat it in copper grease

Can't really fall out without human help. Someone's probably nicked it without realising they've broken it!

Of all the things to try and nick off an A3 the numberplate light would be the last thing I'd attempt!

As said the plastic goes brittle and cracks. I got a set off of E-bay direct from Cardiff Audi. £12 the pair delivered.