Lowered 8P3 A3 - Removing front dirt guards

rdfcpete

Reaction score
I'm on AP coilovers on my MY10 8P BE 3door and it's sitting fairly low, nothing slammed.

The front dirt guards that sit just in front of the jacking point (bottom of the wheel arch sill, behind the front bumper low down) are catching on speed bumps ever so slightly.

Simple question really; I assume these can be removed without any serious risk of rust or extra dirt build over longer periods of time?
It looks like a simple removal by removing the torque screws and detaching?

I experienced a small patch of rust on my MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T (MY06) from dirt build up in the rear wheel arch and catching on the tyre edge too (it was also lowered on AP performance springs).

Thanks.

They are mudflaps, and are not fitted as standard so completely safe to remove... If they are hitting the speed bumps then you must be very low! I'd be more worried about the sump!

Just to clarify, I mean this part:
20121223_2157551.jpg

Are these not standard on the Black Edition? Assumed they were a factory standard part.

And the sumps in no danger, no sweat. I can't stand the slammed look.
I'm only this low as things stand (probably in reality about 30mm at the rear and 25mm at the front, loads more playing room)

IMG_20121208_144232.jpg

I thought they were there to prevent excessive water from the lower bumper streaming straight onto the tyres to help prevent aqua-planing? had them on my lowered Mondeo & I trimmed them up to clear kerbs.

Interesting question and I'm looking forward to being enlightened.

edit: if they're behind the front wheels, they'll be to stop stones flying up at the sill, but your pic looks like they attached to the front bumper.

Take it off and clean the area more often if your that worried. I'd take them off before you break them off.

I thought they were there to prevent excessive water from the lower bumper streaming straight onto the tyres to help prevent aqua-planing? had them on my lowered Mondeo & I trimmed them up to clear kerbs.

Interesting question and I'm looking forward to being enlightened.

edit: if they're behind the front wheels, they'll be to stop stones flying up at the sill, but your pic looks like they attached to the front bumper.

Indeed, they're in front of the wheel. Partly why I'm questioning the purpose.
If aquaplaning is the primary reason they're on, it'd be nice to have that confirmed?

Take it off and clean the area more often if your that worried. I'd take them off before you break them off.

Unlikely they'll break off, the plastic seems flexible enough to take some GBH.

I could remove them easy as pie, my question is however; can I expect rust or any build up of corrosion issues in four or five years time?

It's a slightly overcautious question, but having experienced corrosion on my MK5 GTI (not a car I'd have expected to find rust on, with pro details twice a year for three years - bit disappointed with VW around that one) I want to know if it's just likely to affect the A3 too in the wheel arch surrounding areas.

Indeed, they're in front of the wheel. Partly why I'm questioning the purpose.
If aquaplaning is the primary reason they're on, it'd be nice to have that confirmed?

Unlikely they'll break off, the plastic seems flexible enough to take some GBH.

I could remove them easy as pie, my question is however; can I expect rust or any build up of corrosion issues in four or five years time?

It's a slightly overcautious question, but having experienced corrosion on my MK5 GTI (not a car I'd have expected to find rust on, with pro details twice a year for three years - bit disappointed with VW around that one) I want to know if it's just likely to affect the A3 too in the wheel arch surrounding areas.

Ah sorry didn't know you meant those at the front of the wheel. I'd leave them on as the rubbing won't effect them as the plastic is thick and sturdy. They reduce the water being forced forward and up over the bonnet in heavy waters.

Ah sorry didn't know you meant those at the front of the wheel. I'd leave them on as the rubbing won't effect them as the plastic is thick and sturdy. They reduce the water being forced forward and up over the bonnet in heavy waters.

That's okay fella.
Whether it's to stop water getting over the bonnet or to stop water building in front of the driving tyres, we're more or less agreed it's a water hazard safety thing and I'm unlikely to find the wheel arches will rust to sh*t and gone in 10 years time then? ;) :icon_thumright:

They're to deflect the air & as much water as possible from hitting the tyre. They're made of a rubberised plastic & are a piece of pie to remove. Each side has three 3 plastic round rivet like clips holding them on, push the centre of the round rivet with a small screwdriver and a pin in the centre will push through (dont push it all the way through or you'll probably lose it). Once the pin in centre has been pushed in you will then be able to pull the entire rivet/clip out with your fingers & remove the deflector. Truth is though if they're too low you can just cut them down with a Stanley blade & they'll work on a lowered car.

I noticed for the first time yesterday that I have them fitted in front of the rear wheels too.

Are you sure it is these that are catching? I am very low on coilovers and its the undertray that catches way before these would even come close!

Are you sure it is these that are catching? I am very low on coilovers and its the undertray that catches way before these would even come close!

Has to be really Tim, I'm nowhere near as low as you. If you look at where they're positioned (bearing in mind the 8P3 has no defined splitter that would sit lower then the guards) it has to be them catching when I'm straddling a speedbump. It also sounds like it form the scrape.

I don't think on my car there's any under tray(s) that would be caught before these at the front of the car, unless one is hanging loose which I'm confident isn't the case on my BE :thumbsup:

I think you'll find it's the lip of the bumper or undertray that's catching. I can't see it being those wheel arch sections. The over hang of the front of the car just wouldn't allow those bit to touch the floor...

It's 100% the bits I've highlighted fellas :) You can see underneath where they've been scraping. I straddle the speed bumps (they're the small square ones with a sloped edge, I drive over with one wheel on each edge, exactly where the guards are) therefore by the laws of science and judging by how they sit (lower than anything else in that area of the car), they're just nicking on the corners of the speed humps. The rest of the car is completely untouched, at least to the naked eye.

I drive over around 40 of these speed humps a day, hence the thread regarding removing them etc...

It physically can't be anything else catching, unless my car changes into a rubix cube as I approach the speed humps :happy: