Order of tuning for an S3?

Mark300zx

Reaction score
Ok,

Just want to know what the correct order of tuning is for the S3, I presume exhaust and filter to start, then remap, but at what stage do you need a fuel pump and when does the clutch start to slip?

Your clearly looking at stage 2+, cos for stage 1, just map it and thats it for 305-310 bhp (265 TFSI)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say map first as the exhaust and filter will help the map.

Ok, Just want to know what the correct order of tuning is for the S3, I presume exhaust and filter to start, then remap, but at what stage do you need a fuel pump and when does the clutch start to slip?
You need an upgraded HPFP for Stg2+ or above(which is approximately 360bhp),and the clutch will start to give up at anywhere from Stg1 on,depending on whether you're lucky or not.
I think the rule is that when you start remapping the S3,you should budget for a clutch upgrade from the start,as it will go at some stage.
The HPFP upgrade smooths out the midrange torque dip that would otherwise occur,and whilst it doesn't add a huge amount of power,the effect in terms of delivery and torque is very noticeable.

If you have the S tronic then you won't need to upgrade the clutch/flywheel at stage 3.
If you have the S-Tronic,it will be OK up to around 440lbs assuming the correct software is used,but at the upper levels of Stg3,you will need to upgrade the clutch plates,and HPA Motorsport offer the correct parts for this.

Stg3 in most tuner's books is a big turbo kit,and whilst you can easily limit boost to below 1.7bar,and keep torque down,it kind of defeats the object of a BT kit to do so,and thus most of us running BT kits on DSG/STronic cars would say that a clutch internals upgrade should be factored into and Stg3 or Stg4 builds.