So my car has had this very irritating knock/rattle from the front driver side for a while now. It almost sounds as though something is loose and can be heard more than felt when going over rough surface at sub 30mph speeds. Its not metallic and its not creaky and present when that wheel goes over a rough surface that causes repetitive vertical movement in a short space of time e.g. cobbled path. AmD Woking took a look and recommended the car needed a new shock on that side, so I decided to get a H&R cup kit installed.
It was with them for a while as I had an issue with a fuel leak that appeared out of nowhere so several days later I got my car back. Whilst it was with AmD they did an extremely thorough job of investigating the noise and the sequence of events is as follows:
- Cup Kit with new top mounts fitted - knocking noise still there
- Rest of suspension assesed. Everything is as tight as can be according to Simon at AmD who I trust
- Other non suspension items nearby checked for rattles such as wiper motor, bonnet hinges etc and tightened up - knocking noise still there
- After discussion with me and searching this forum for advice, the lower control arm and associated bush was replaced on the driver's side - noise still there
- The car has recently had a brand new ARB fitted at the front (not by AmD)
I have been given the car back and it has also inherited a new noise. A creak from the rear at low (sub 10mph) speed over any kind of uneven surface. Noise is exagerated when there is a passenger in the rear. It can very easily be recreated by pushing down on the rear of the car.
The car is booked in for Thursday to get the creak checked out but the inital rattle is doing my head in. Any ideas what else it could be please? Ideally I would like to get this fixed at the same time too.
I have already thrown a fair bit of cash at it now doing suspension work which hasn't actually solved my initial problem (and given me a new one) and feel disappointed which is never a good thing after a modification. On a side note the car feels much tighter and firmer and after a 500 mile trip over the last couple of days I am very happy with how it feels on a motorway. All noises also disappear at speed regardless of road surface so maybe I just need to drive everywhere at 70mph?